Top 25 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Top 25

Like others have mentioned, being ranked isn't a huge issue for me other than it's easier to find our scores on tv and the internet when we're in the top 25 and we're probably more likely to get highlights on Sportscenter and other highlight shows.

You don't have to bother with the drop-down and click on "ACC". Hopefully, in the near future we'll be able to skip that step in both sports.

Most of these sports apps let you favorite the teams you follow, so the box score will appear right at the top of the page if you favorite Syracuse basketball. Doesn't matter if they are ranked or not.

Most of these sports apps let you favorite the teams you follow, so the box score will appear right at the top of the page if you favorite Syracuse basketball. Doesn't matter if they are ranked or not.

I still prefer that they were ranked. ;)

I like being unranked. When you are ranked you get more publicity and then your players get pub and told they should enter the draft. Our guys appear basically no where on mock drafts as I understand it even though we have at least three players better than many who have left early in the past 10 years.

I want to be ranked EVERY week. That's the kind of program I want us to have. A team that is consistently good. Maybe not great some years, but always good enough to be ranked in the top 25.

I want to be ranked EVERY week. That's the kind of program I want us to have. A team that is consistently good. Maybe not great some years, but always good enough to be ranked in the top 25.

We would give our left arm to be ranked in football and feel it's necessary to show we've moved beyond our dark days. We count down to the days we will be back in the Top 25. Yet, on the basketball forum, we don't want anything to do with it or feel it's unnecessary, maybe even a handicap (it, target on our back, can't sneak up on anyone, keeps a low profile, etc). Bizarre.

Hey, at least we're ahead of the mighty Stony Brook now! :crazy::bat:

wow getting zero respect. how is a team thats 8-5 is 1 of best conferences in country and has 6 wins over top 50 teams not even sniff the top 25?

#32 in AP

A few positives:
- Ahead of Wichita St
- Uconn = 0 points

Recall several years back when the opposing team was introduced at the Dome and one of the cheers was " WHO CARES"! That is where I am at right now. Getting nearly zero respect on all fronts......just take cae of business and get to the big dance.

Wait, am I reading the polls right? Texas lost both of their games last week, albeit to Top 25 teams, and didn't move AT ALL?!

I'd like to be ranked but understand why we aren't. A few of our later big wins have had some special circumstances too - we played Duke not long after they lost Jefferson and before they adjusted, we played ND while missing their key player, Jackson. It's just life in college basketball and we've sure had our fair share of bad luck with injuries but looking at it objectively, it may take away some of the luster on those wins. These next 5 games are very important. Louisville looms big - being the only game with a team other than UNC that's ahead of us in the conference standings - tough task but with big rewards being an away game too.

#32 in AP

A few positives:
- Ahead of Wichita St
- Uconn = 0 points
Technically tied for #31 with Michigan, but who's counting, besides me. Sounds about right. A theoretical #8 seed. Good to be back on the radar. Bracketologists (more importantly the Committee) will start to put the pieces together. Plus you want to have as much a positive impact on any potential recruits as you can.

I'd like to be ranked but understand why we aren't. A few of our later big wins have had some special circumstances too - we played Duke not long after they lost Jefferson and before they adjusted, we played ND while missing their key player, Jackson. It's just life in college basketball and we've sure had our fair share of bad luck with injuries but looking at it objectively, it may take away some of the luster on those wins. These next 5 games are very important. Louisville looms big - being the only game with a team other than UNC that's ahead of us in the conference standings - tough task but with big rewards being an away game too.
I see the Pitt game as the biggest as far as impact on the seedings. No one is expecting us to win @UL or @UNC (but obviously fantastic if we could). Pitt is ahead of us in the Coaches poll, but got no votes in the AP writers poll.

We would give our left arm to be ranked in football and feel it's necessary to show we've moved beyond our dark days. We count down to the days we will be back in the Top 25. Yet, on the basketball forum, we don't want anything to do with it or feel it's unnecessary, maybe even a handicap (it, target on our back, can't sneak up on anyone, keeps a low profile, etc). Bizarre.

The polls have never meant as much in basketball as they have in football because of the tournament. As was pointed out above, getting into the tournament and your seeding mean far more since how you to in the tournament is how you are remembered, not where you ranked in the polls.

But it's still fun to be ranked. :)

I see the Pitt game as the biggest as far as impact on the seedings. No one is expecting us to win @UL or @UNC (but obviously fantastic if we could). Pitt is ahead of us in the Coaches poll, but got no votes in the AP writers poll.

We definitely have to protect our home court against Pitt but I just worry how many ACC teams will be invited. We are currently ahead of Pitt in conference with 2 more wins and one less loss. We're currently in 7th place tied with Clemson. Pitt, then FSU are behind us. I don't think more than 8 teams will be invited. Perhaps I'm wrong. Hoping though in these next 5 games that we determine our own destiny, earn some wiggle room rather than looking to other teams to govern where we end up.

The polls have never meant as much in basketball as they have in football because of the tournament. As was pointed out above, getting into the tournament and your seeding mean far more since how you to in the tournament is how you are remembered, not where you ranked in the polls.

But it's still fun to be ranked. :)

Sure, I understand that, but there's one valuable benefit of being ranked: publicity.

Not really sure I understand this (from the AP story found on ESPN.com):

"Villanova is No. 1 in The Associated Press Top 25 for a second week and Kansas, coming off wins over two top-10 teams, jumps four places to second.

Duke, which had one of the longest consecutive poll streaks ever, returns at No. 20 after two weeks out of the Top 25.

Villanova (22-3) received 44 first-place votes from the 65-member national media panel on Monday, with Kansas (21-4) getting the other 21.

Villanova is now one of six schools to have been No. 1 for two weeks, and it's quite a group the Wildcats joined.

Louisville is the only one of the six to have split the weeks at the top between two seasons -- 2008-09 and 2012-13. Two others made the jump to the top in recent years: Alabama in 2002-03 and Texas in 2009-10."

So there are 6 schools that, in their entire history, have been #1 for 2 different weekly polls, no more, no less? I would have figured Louisville for more than that.

Not really sure I understand this (from the AP story found on ESPN.com):

"Villanova is No. 1 in The Associated Press Top 25 for a second week and Kansas, coming off wins over two top-10 teams, jumps four places to second.

Duke, which had one of the longest consecutive poll streaks ever, returns at No. 20 after two weeks out of the Top 25.

Villanova (22-3) received 44 first-place votes from the 65-member national media panel on Monday, with Kansas (21-4) getting the other 21.

Villanova is now one of six schools to have been No. 1 for two weeks, and it's quite a group the Wildcats joined.

Louisville is the only one of the six to have split the weeks at the top between two seasons -- 2008-09 and 2012-13. Two others made the jump to the top in recent years: Alabama in 2002-03 and Texas in 2009-10."

So there are 6 schools that, in their entire history, have been #1 for 2 different weekly polls, no more, no less? I would have figured Louisville for more than that.

I found something I actually bookmarked a few years ago after discussing our run with the #1 for a while.

this was current as of March 4. 2013

most weeks as the #1 ranked team:

UCLA 134, Duke 127, North Carolina 108, Kentucky 96, Kansas 61, Indiana 51, Cincinnati 45, Ohio State 37, UNLV 32, Arizona 29, UConn 28, San Francisco 28, Michigan 22, Illinois 17, Stanford 16, DePaul 15, UMass 15, Syracuse 14, N.C. State 13, Arkansas 12, Georgetown 12, Virginia 12, Houston 11, Florida 10, Kansas State 9, St. John's 8, La Salle 7, West Virginia 7, Memphis 6, Missouri 6, Seton Hall 6, Temple 6, Bradley 5, Holy Cross 5, Notre Dame 5, Oklahoma 5, Oregon State 5, Indiana State 4, Loyola of Chicago 4, Michigan State 4, Marquette 3, Pittsburgh 3, Wake Forest 3, Alabama 2, Duquesne 2, Louisville 2, Saint Louis 2, Texas 2, Georgia Tech 1, Gonzaga 1, Iowa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Saint Joseph's 1, South Carolina 1, Tennessee 1, Wichita State 1, Wisconsin 1.

NOTE: There was one tie for No. 1 -- Virginia and Oregon State on Jan. 27, 1981.

well i suppose the good news is that last week we had only beaten 1 ranked team (texas a/m) and as of this week's poll we've now beaten 2 (duke/nd).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom