Top 5 Recruits You Were Most Excited About All-Time | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Top 5 Recruits You Were Most Excited About All-Time

Quadry Ismail - wasn’t he on the cover of SI?
Rob Konrad - was a huge get and I think Dazzler was a big player in that recruitment
McNabb - buzz about him on campus his redshirt year. Poor Kevin Mason
Scott Freeney - lots of hype. We didn’t get many recruits from Georgia then.
Terry Richardson - left Florida, got 44

In no order (my SU fandom started my sr year of HS in 1997)

Clifton Smith - same HS as Morlon Greenwood, I played against them, thought he’d be the next Bullock, and was pissed when Gerg didn’t make D’Brick Ferguson from same HS a priority in the 00’s

Ashton Broyld - what an athlete. some might say there’s nothing worse than wasted talent.

Tommy DeVito- Dino gets “his” QB who’s a finalist in the Elite 11 along with Tua

Chandler Jones- thought at time was if he’s half the player Art is/was, we’ve got a heckuva recruit here.

Robert Washington- all the “44” talk and blah blah blah. Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice, and Moe Neal wound up being a real nice player.

1. Tommy DeVito- This is a VERY easy one. When he blew up at Elite 11, I was all in. Especially after we went 10-3 in 2018 with him being the savior in multiple games, good lord I was a bit too pumped up going into last year. I actually talked myself into the idea that Tommy could be a dark horse Heisman candidate.

2. Jake Pickard- I remember we beat of Wisconsin for him (I think it was Wisconsin?) and he just looked like a stud. I really thought he was going to be a JJ Watt type anchor on our defensive line (if you're not seeing the pattern yet, I tend to get a bit too excited). He ultimately didn't even play much.

3. Moe Neal- I remember watching Moe's tape from high school and my jaw dropping. Big run after big run after big run. Then his first carry as a freshman was a 50+ yard TD run. Moe ended up being a very good back, but he never quite panned out to what I saw on that tape.

4. Andre Cisco- This was one that I seem to have really gotten correct. I was pumped about Cisco when he committed, when he was the starter on the first spring depth chart his freshman year I got even more excited, and then I watched him start the Western Michigan game a few months later. He seems like a sure thing NFL guy.

5. Averin Collier- This was my first year following recruiting, and he was the top commit we had, so obviously I was really excited and thought he would come in and be great right away. Didn't happen.

Didn't mention it above, but I remember being pretty excited about Gus Edwards, and then Jason Cabinda. Sorry for focusing a bit on the negative. The Jake Pickard reference above is a good one too. I remember all the stories of Shafer and staff snowmobiling through a blizzard to get to his house the night before signing day to lock him down.

Tim Green - I was an SU student at the time and remember his live announcement on local TV. Coach Mac’s first big recruit.

I started paying more attention to recruiting when I was in high school, so I can't include some of my favorite players on this list since they were already on the team.

Dulayne Morgan - I think it was reported he long jumped over 25 feet in highschool. I figured any 230 lb linebacker that was athletic enough to do that was gonna be a monster. He showed up just as we were making the shift to the 4-3 and 'P' was shifting some of the LB's to DE. I always wondered if that adversely affected him.

Donovan McNabb - When I read that his coach described him as a bigger faster Marvin Graves, that was it for me. I was a huge Graves fan.

Rob Konrad - He was 230 lbs and reportedly ran a 4.4. When we took him away from BC out of their backyard, I loved it.

James Mungro - His high school numbers were insane. I sometimes wondered what an upperclass Mungro would have been like on the '98 team and what that team would have been like with a senior Dwight Freeney. So often it has felt like just as we were improving our weaknesses, our strengths were getting weaker.

Johnnie Morant - Physical freak. Thought he was gonna be what Calvin Johnson ended up being.

Last edited:
I started paying more attention to recruiting when I was in high school, so I can't include some of my favorite players on this list since they were already on the team.

Dulayne Morgan - I think it was reported he long jumped over 25 feet in highschool. I figured any 230 lb linebacker that was athletic enough to do that was gonna be a monster. He showed up just as we were making the shift to the 4-3 and 'P' was shifting some of the LB's to DE. I always wondered if that adversely affected him.

Donovan McNabb - When I read that his coach described him as a bigger faster Marvin Graves, that was it for me. I was a huge Graves fan.

Rob Konrad - He was 230 lbs and reportedly ran a 4.4. When we took him away from BC out of their backyard, I loved it.

James Mungro - His high school numbers were insane. I sometimes wondered what an upperclass Mungro would have been like on the '98 team and what that team would have been like with a senior Dwight Freeney. So often it has felt like just as we were improving our weaknesses, our strengths were getting weaker.

Johnnie Morant - Physical freak. Thought he was gonna be what Calvin Johnson ended up being.

I would say this is pretty similar to my list. I would probably add Scott Freeney, Lavar Lobdell and Cecil Howard as others.

1. Michael Vick
2. Brian St Pierre
3. Colt Brennan
4. David LeGree (until i watched his HS champ game on MSG and went...uh oh)
5. Joe Fields

Konrad i think was ND or Syracuse. Which adds to the absolute disrespect for the Eagles. If Tom Coughlin hangs on for two more years, I bet they would have had a shot at Rob. Those 92-93 Eagles teams were on the cusp had Coughlin not left

I would say this is pretty similar to my list. I would probably add Scott Freeney, Lavar Lobdell and Cecil Howard as others.
I remember Lobdell commitment very clearly. It was one of my 1st years teaching in Baltimore and I was checking the popular SU fan site (think it was Rivals at the time) every free moment I had (unfortunately, that hasn't changed much). One day, an English teacher was looking over my shoulder and said "you're a Syracuse fan? I went to Syracuse". It turns out he also posts on the board and led to a very quick friendship. Though he's moved to DC, we're still friends and speak a few times/year.

My list sucks and is indicative of a time when I clinged to hope more than reality.

Lavar Lobdell - Grob was the M@$#%#@$ING MAN for bringing in a kid that wouldn't even talk to P

Robert Washington

Andrew Robinson

Parker Cantey

Greg Paulus

I didn't follow recuriting much during the P years, lack of available information plus we were always good so I just showed up and enjoyed the show. During the Grob years I was looking any shred of relevance. Got my hopes up way too high on too many kids. Now I always remember, 18 year old kids are not, and will not be the salvation of this team. TD's year last year should prove just that. It takes many working parts/pieces and even the most hyped players are influenced by those around them both on and off the field.

Not a knock on TD, Just saying he didn't come out as strong as some would have hoped but given lack of OL, running game, or any resemblance of a cohesive offense it's understandable.

I remember Lobdell commitment very clearly. It was one of my 1st years teaching in Baltimore and I was checking the popular SU fan site (think it was Rivals at the time) every free moment I had (unfortunately, that hasn't changed much). One day, an English teacher was looking over my shoulder and said "you're a Syracuse fan? I went to Syracuse". It turns out he also posts on the board and led to a very quick friendship. Though he's moved to DC, we're still friends and speak a few times/year.
Syracusefan.com. Bringing fans together since 2000.

This was a long time ago but I remember being pretty psyched about Michael Owens - as a great running back and as Billy Owens' older brother.
Considering the fact that, for most of his four years at SU, he was competing for carries with some other great backs (Drummond, Johnston), he had a great career.

FYI, Parade has been putting out HS AA teams for football since 1963.

There is a database tracking the players.

I think our first was a little known OL from Auburn named George Bodine.

I started trying to track all of our Parade AAs. Here is as far as I have gotten to date. Might have missed one or two along the way.

1967 George Bodine Mt Carmel HS, Auburn, NY
1975 Charles Kirouac Leominster, MA
1980 Tim Green Liverpool HS, Liverpool, NY
1982 Walter Moseley Ellenville HS, Ellenville, NY
1985 Michael Owens, Carlisle HS, Carlisle, PA
1987 George 'Duffy' Rooks White Plains, NY
1987 Garland Hawkins Dematha HS, Washington, DC
1987 Wendal Lowery Dillard HS, Dillard, FL
1988 Reggie Terry Hempstead, NY
1989 Lawrence Moten, Archbishop Carroll HS, Washington, DC!
1989 Karlos Jackson Dematha HS, Washington, DC
1992 DuLayne Morgan, Elizabeth, NJ
1993 Donovan McNabb, Mount Carmel, IL
1994 Rob Konrad St John’s Prep. Danvers, MA
1995 Ian McIntosh Cheshire HS, Cheshire, CT
1995 Quinton Spotwood, Elizabeth HS, Elizabeth, NJ
1995 Omari Howard, Corcoran HS, Syracuse, NY*
1996 Damien Mallery, Henninger HS, Syracuse, NY
1996 James Mungro, East Stroudsburg HS, East Stroudsburg, PA
1999 Johnnie Morant, Parsippany Hills HS, Parsippany Hills, NJ
2003 Curtis Brinkley, West Catholic HS, Philadelphia, PA
2004 Greg Paulus, CBA, Syracuse, NY@

!=Attended Syracuse University but played basketball
*=Verbaled to Syracuse but did not qualify for college and had to attend UCF instead
@=Played basketball at Duke but finished college career as a QB at Syracuse

Last edited:
This was a long time ago but I remember being pretty psyched about Michael Owens - as a great running back and as Billy Owens' older brother.
Considering the fact that, for most of his four years at SU, he was competing for carries with some other great backs (Drummond, Johnston), he had a great career.
Yup and he had one of the greatest moments in SU football history. I was at Braggs watching the WV game and when he scored the 2 point conversion the place went crazy.

I started trying to track all of our Parade AAs. Here is as far as I have gotten to date. Might have missed one or two along the way.

1987 George 'Duffy' Rooks
George Rooks Jr is a little bit of a player...

Calicuse had a favorite running back recruit from Wicomico, Maryland who never made it to Syracuse and whose name escapes me. Anyone?

1987 George 'Duffy' Rooks White Plains, NY
1987 Garland Hawkins Dematha HS, Washington, DC
1987 Wendal Lowery Dillard HS, Dillard, FL
1988 Reggie Terry Hempstead, NY
1989 Lawrence Moten, Archbishop Carroll HS, Washington, DC!
1989 Karlos Jackson Dematha HS, Washington, DC
1992 DuLayne Morgan, Elizabeth, NJ
1993 Donovan McNabb, Mount Carmel, IL
1994 Rob Konrad St John’s Prep. Danvers, MA
1995 Ian McIntosh Cheshire HS, Cheshire, CT
1995 Quinton Spotwood, Elizabeth HS, Elizabeth, NJ
1995 Omari Howard, Corcoran HS, Syracuse, NY*
1996 Damien Mallery, Henninger HS, Syracuse, NY
1996 James Mungro, East Stroudsburg HS, East Stroudsburg, PA
1999 Johnnie Morant, Parsippany Hills HS, Parsippany Hills, NJ
2003 Curtis Brinkley, West Catholic HS, Philadelphia, PA
2004 Greg Paulus, CBA, Syracuse, NY@

!=Attended Syracuse University but played basketball
*=Verbaled to Syracuse but did not qualify for college and had to attend UCF instead
@=Played basketball at Duke but finished college career as a QB at Syracuse
Good list. I forgot about Moseley. He was big time.