Top 5 SU defensive players of all time | Syracusefan.com

Top 5 SU defensive players of all time

HarrisonJBounel

All Conference
Given a Boeheim 2-3 zone, who are the 5 guys you want in the zone. Offense is not an issue. My 5:

C Seikaly
F Coleman
F Warrick
G Stevie
G Santifer

Lots of good choices - I'm sure I've missed some.

I like the frontline but you need someone to actually bring the ball up the other way (even if its a hypothetical D question)

I'd throw mickey dubz as the 1 and either g or Sweet E Moten at the 2

Gotta have Etan over Rony.

Warrick was not good in the zone. I'd take just about any other forward we've had. Maybe CJ or Terrance Roberts. Don't know about guards. Can't leave Jason Hart out. I don't remember Santifer's D.

I'm a fan of the oft overlooked Stevie at guard.
Sadly, he would get a lot more consideration on the all-time lists, but he was simply deathly allergic to making free throws. If he was even a 75% FT shooter, he may have been the best 2 guard in our history, or at least in the conversation.

Worth an honorable mention in the middle are Conrad McRae, Jeremy McNeill, and Otis Hill.

And holy crap I forgot Roosevelt Bouie. He might even be first team.

I know Warrick is famous for getting a block, but he was arguably the worst defensive player that's ever started for Boeheim.

Its hard to compare positions, and eras. For example, 80's defense was non-existent but for his time Douglas was a good defender, in man to man that is, he was too small for the top of the zone. He left SU as the all time leader in steals.

For the top of the zone, I'm looking for the length to contest threes, the smarts to play good positional defense, and the quick hands to get a lot of steals. That said, for the top of the zone I think the tier 1 defenders are (in no particular order): Heart, Rautins, MCW, Gbinije. Cooney is close, probably borderline being in this group - not quite as good positionally as the rest, but still a hell of a defender.

For forwards, I want length and jumping ability, as well as quick feet. You want a guy who can contest a three, and in a fraction of a second get down low and block shots. They need to be strong enough to bang for rebounds down low, and long enough to simply out jump the opponent for rebounds because its hard to box out in a zone. I think tier 1 is: Owens (not many forwards average 2 steals a game for SU, he was one) and Bergan. That may be it for top tier forwards. Syracuse has a tradition of long, quality defensive forwards so its hard to stand out. Grant was getting there, and would certainly be on this list if he stayed a third year, but as a sophomore he's probably borderline tier 1/tier 2. Lydon can get there too if he stays.

For centers, its great to have a shot blocker, but probably more important to have a strong guy who can win the positional battle, and force the opposing center a few feet out of his comfort zone. Fab Melo is the best Syracuse has ever had positionally (along with AO) and also an elite shot blocker. He is the best defensive center we've ever had. Eton Thomas is also tier 1. I might put Rick Jackson in tier 1 too, he had really great instincts for blocking shots despite not being overly tall or athletic. He was also a big strong dude. Christmas belongs in tier 1 too, that guy could really defend on all levels.

An interesting question: I've considered MCW and Triche the best top of the zone combo we have ever had, but I think Gbinije and Cooney are making a run at them. MCW and Triche were a little more effective, but Gbinije and Cooney are getting it done while having to help weaker inside defenders out (something MCW and Triche never had to worry about). Its a close call, and an interesting discussion.

For example, 80's defense was non-existent

Watching old SU games on ESPN Classic, this is what has struck me the most.

We basically out-talented people.

Watching these games, I would see some type of lapse and expect to see JB motioning disgustedly to someone on the bench to report to the scorer's table and it wouldn't happen.

If JB were the same defensive perfectionist back then that he is now, I think we would be looking for our 4th or 5th rather than our second.

MCW, Rautins, Owens, Coleman, The Fabulous One.

Forwards were the hardest to pick. The guards and centers were easy. I'm confident that how we play it now Owens would be great DC not as sure about but he's sure up the boards and add shot blocking.

Watching these games, I would see some type of lapse and expect to see JB motioning disgustedly to someone on the bench to report to the scorer's table and it wouldn't happen.

If JB were the same defensive perfectionist back then that he is now, I think we would be looking for our 4th or 5th rather than our second.

It wasn't just us, nobody played defense in the 80's.

Heck I was looking at 80's NBA videos recently to see how Curry would of fit in and he would of toasted Those defenses. I don't think defense really started to be stressed in college and the NBA until the early 90's.

I think of Eddie Moss ,Pearl , Rosie Bouie (Bouie Boomerang), Hart, Pace too

I started watching in the late 90's (I was born in '88) so this is a more modern list, but I have a hard time imagining a better defensive team than this. Even though people wouldn't think to pair MCW and G, they both are stellar defenders who are incredibly long and athletic at the top. I think people forget how good Grant was in his sophomore season in back of the zone. He was an elite shot blocker and rim protector from the forward spot and his positioning was near perfect. My only hesitation on this list was Wes over Rick Jackson at the 3/4. Wes got a ton of blocks, steals, and rebounds (1.8, 1.7, and 8.5 respectively), but I seem to remember him being sometimes out of position as well. Jackson was ridiculously solid, but I don't remember how well he got out to cover the corner (he was always more suited to the 5, even though he played most of his career at the 4). Also underrated-- James Southerland's senior season.

Michael Carter Williams
Michael Gbinije
Wes Johnson
Jerami Grant
Fab Melo

1st team: Hart, MCW, Wesley Johnson, Grant, Etan

2nd team: Rautins, Duany, Luke Jackson, Coleman, Fab Melo

Southerland has been Boeheim's best defensive wing since he went all-zone, so I'd have to put him there unless someone has a compelling reason to use a great defender from the pre-zone era.

Given a Boeheim 2-3 zone, who are the 5 guys you want in the zone. Offense is not an issue. My 5:

C Seikaly
F Coleman
F Warrick
G Stevie
G Santifer

Lots of good choices - I'm sure I've missed some.

C: Etan Thomas
PF: Coleman
SF: Warrick
G: Jason Hart
G; Erich Santifer

Southerland has been Boeheim's best defensive wing since he went all-zone, so I'd have to put him there unless someone has a compelling reason to use a great defender from the pre-zone era.

For such a recent player, no idea how I forgot him.

To read about Syracuse's 1996 (or 2003) zone and then watch the games with fresh eyes is a funny exercise. Every team we've had in the last 7 seasons (even last season's) is at least 300% more active than those teams.

In those days it was simply the style of defense and surprise factor that was successful. Now we're beating teams with extraordinary effort and an advanced scheme.

I could beat some teams with:

Hart
Rautins
Southerland
Coleman (Derrick)
Etan

Give me Grant and Carter-Williams subbing in and keeping those guys alive in practice every day. Fab was better than Etan, but let him stay in the library and I'll play with those 7, Coleman can fill in at the 5. Also, he and Carter-Williams will make each other just angry enough that there's no worry about any lazy play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom