Top ACC recruiters per ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Top ACC recruiters per ESPN

Rocco

Watching you.
1. Tim Brewster - Recruiting coordinator/tight ends coach, Florida State
What he’s done
: Simply put, there aren't many better recruiters and recruiting coordinators in the game today than Brewster. Every stop along the way, especially at Texas from 1998 through 2001 when he recruited Vince Young, Brewster has done tremendous work.

2. Zac Roper - Recruiting coordinator/tight ends coach, Duke
What he’s done
: Roper has helped the Blue Devils do what most thought was impossible -- play for an ACC championship and compete in a major bowl game. While many of Roper’s personal recruiting victories won’t register on a national stage, as the Blue Devils’ recruiting coordinator he’s played a major role in upgrading the program’s talent since his arrival in 2008.

3. Art Kehoe - Offensive line coach, Miami
What he’s done
: Kehoe is Miami football. A former player and longtime assistant under six different head coaches, Kehoe is entering his 30th year on the coaching staff in Coral Gables. Kehoe isn’t one of these young recruiters who wows prospects with flash and swag. He wins recruits over with his experience and knowledge of what makes the U The U.

4. Brent Venables, Clemson - the guy that snatched Ogundeko from us

5. Larry Porter, UNC

Honorable mention - George McDonald, Syracuse

You need an ESPN Insider subscription to see everything else.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=55634

In due time McDonald will make his way up. The underrated advantage/relevance he gives us with Southern Florida recruits cannot be measure. We're truly blessed to have the aggressive recruiting staff we have. People may be frustrated by how, at the moment, 2015's class may seem mediocre... but in the next few years I think it will show that we absolutely killed it. Especially in 2014.

Florida State, Miami and Clemson have the #1, #3, & #4 "recruiters".

You know who else recruits well? Google, Apple and Intel.

It's not hard to "recruit" when you have the best benefits by an ACC country mile.

That Duke guy, Zac Roper... Now he's REALLY RECRUITING.

Same with our very own football version of GMac.

You still have to get those kids to pick your school over other P5 offers. I mean if we want to give Hop credit for his hoops recruiting then the same has to apply to these guys.

We are lucky to have George McDonald and I hope we can keep him here for a good while. He's doing an incredible job recruiting and that will only get better with more and more wins and other staff members stepping up and taking some lessons from him. I hope he hones his Offensive Coordinator skills to bring an exciting offense in addition and I believe he can and will. He's doing big things!

You still have to get those kids to pick your school over other P5 offers. I mean if we want to give Hop credit for his hoops recruiting then the same has to apply to these guys.

Disagree.

Hopkins is recruiting against far more top-notch programs than the recruiters at FSU, Clemson and Miami.

On average, there are about 3-4 schools in each of the 5 major conferences that can get any number of 4 and 5-star players.

That's maybe 15-20 schools that go after - and get - the vast majority of the elite kids.

Now review the last five or so top-150 hoops recruit lists and who those kids signed with. Quickly, you'll see that there are 50+ schools going after the top 150 hoops recruits each year - all with a legitimate shot at landing them.

Then there's football's "local loyalty" (ie football recruits with elite programs near their homes stay local far more often than hoops players ). Hoops players aren't anywhere near as loyal to the hometown team. How many kids on Kentucky are from Kentucky? Same with Louisville, UConn, Duke, Arizona, Kansas, etc...

Look at the Noles, Hurricanes, and Tigers rosters and you'll see the majority the talent is home-grown... Or at least within a very tight "afternoon drive" radius.

And in hoops - unlike football - "mid-majors" can get 4 and 5-star kids.

How often do you think USC football worries about going up against UNLV for a wide receiver?

You think VA Tech football is EVER concerned with losing a kid to VCU or Notre Dame losing a kid to Butler?

Because that's a harsh reality of basketball recruiting in the last 10-15 years.

Yet another reason these football "recruiters" from FSU, Clemson & Miami aren't doing half the job that Hopkins is.

Then there's the margin for error... Which is EXPONENTIALLY smaller in hoops.

We are talking about 3 and 4 player classes in basketball versus 20-25 in football.

All that added up and I don't buy that these guys ranked 1,3 & 4 are anywhere near the recruiter that Hopkins is.

I agree with some of your points, but I'm just saying that landing top players year in and year out requires work. I give plenty of credit to Hop just as I give these guys credit.

We are lucky to have George McDonald and I hope we can keep him here for a good while. He's doing an incredible job recruiting and that will only get better with more and more wins and other staff members stepping up and taking some lessons from him. I hope he hones his Offensive Coordinator skills to bring an exciting offense in addition and I believe he can and will. He's doing big things!

I hope we keep them long enough for Shafer to retire here and then we can get Run-GMC as our head coach. That would be fantastic, love both of those guys and love this staff.

Partly because they do a great job IMO but more because I think they do a great job the way it should be done, the right way.