Tough blow for Pitt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tough blow for Pitt

Are you sure you didnt mean something more along the lines of having animus?

Point well taken. I should have said "some ancient hatreds." The January thaw does not include UConn or Gtown.

So basically for 14 years has been getting away with fouling. For some reason every ref who does our games don't call fouls. You do realize that is crazy right? As for Pitt losing in the tournament that has nothing to do with fouls all of a sudden being called. They lose because they aren't good enough to win. Can you name a game they lost in tournament because they had fouls called on them? If so please do.

I'll ask you the same question I ask every sPitt fan who comes here with this "logic". If sPitt is good enough to win 7 or 8 BE regular season championships (too lazy to look up the actual number) and 2 BETs, in the league that has sent more teams to the Final Four than any other league over the past 14 years then why is it that when the NCAAs comes around they crash and burn repeatedly? This notion that they aren't "good enough" to win even early rounds in the NCAAs but good enough to dominate the best basketball league defies logic even more than the "logic" that they get away with fouling moreso in league play than they do in the NCAAs.

Cheers,
Neil

Do not forget the current coach of Arizona U.-----Sean Miller. Miller was a four year starter for Pitt and played in the Big East in the early eighties.

Do not forget the current coach of Arizona U.-----Sean Miller. Miller was a four year starter for Pitt and played in the Big East in the early eighties.

I have no real animus against Pitt or their fans...I just hate Pitt's old clutch n grab style in the Big East. I found Pitt fans' proclamations they were the new Flagship of the Big East odd.

This notion that they aren't "good enough" to win even early rounds in the NCAAs but good enough to dominate the best basketball league defies logic even more than the "logic" that they get away with fouling moreso in league play than they do in the NCAAs.

They usually win early rounds when they dominate the league though, no?
Though I guess it depends on how you define that. In 2011, they were a top seed, and lost in the second round to Butler, who is probably just as physical as they are.
2010 they were a 3 seed, lost in the second round.
2009 they were a 1 seed, made the elite 8 and were one play away from the final four.
2007 they were a 3 seed, lost in the sweet 16.
2004 they were a 3 seed, lost in the sweet 16
2003 they were a 2 seed, lost in the sweet 16.
2002 they were a 3 seed, lost in the sweet 16.
(Noticing a pattern?)
Those are most of the years they were really good in the league. They usually made it past he first weekend. Not to totally defend them or anything, since I'm not a big Pitt fan. 2's and 3's losing in the Sweet 16 isn't terrible, though you figure one year or two they'd break through and at least make the regional final.
2009 and 2011 really hurt them; both of those games were really close. They beat Nova in 2009 and at least they have a final four on their resume.

Late 80s into the 90s ('87-'92 to be exact)

Unfortunately I think about this stuff all the time. Getting through a season without a serious injury or suspension to a key player is no easy task .. especially with our recent history.

That's why I like our new charmin soft conference schedule.

So basically for 14 years has been getting away with fouling. For some reason every ref who does our games don't call fouls. You do realize that is crazy right? As for Pitt losing in the tournament that has nothing to do with fouls all of a sudden being called. They lose because they aren't good enough to win. Can you name a game they lost in tournament because they had fouls called on them? If so please do.

Its not in the number of fouls called in the NCAA's its the early fouls called that force them to stop fouling so much and make it much easier to score on them. Its not even so much the fouling its that its a thought out taught strategy of defense by the staff.

Last edited:
Durand Johnson tore his acl

If we go 20-0 and then during the Duke home game we will be playing for the best start in school history I will have to change my underwear!

I hate to see any kid get injured. I tore an ACL and went through the rehab so I feel for him. Hope he comes back strong next season.

They usually win early rounds when they dominate the league though, no?
Though I guess it depends on how you define that. In 2011, they were a top seed, and lost in the second round to Butler, who is probably just as physical as they are.
2010 they were a 3 seed, lost in the second round.
2009 they were a 1 seed, made the elite 8 and were one play away from the final four.
2007 they were a 3 seed, lost in the sweet 16.
2004 they were a 3 seed, lost in the sweet 16
2003 they were a 2 seed, lost in the sweet 16.
2002 they were a 3 seed, lost in the sweet 16.
(Noticing a pattern?)
Those are most of the years they were really good in the league. They usually made it past he first weekend. Not to totally defend them or anything, since I'm not a big Pitt fan. 2's and 3's losing in the Sweet 16 isn't terrible, though you figure one year or two they'd break through and at least make the regional final.
2009 and 2011 really hurt them; both of those games were really close. They beat Nova in 2009 and at least they have a final four on their resume.

I don't necessarily disagree with this either. My main point is to simply say they weren't good enough (or even luck of the draw, as other Pitt fans have said) as the sole reason they have only reached one Elite 8 and zero FFs in their time of dominance is even less logical than someone claiming it is solely the result of how differently fouls are called in the Big East vs NCAAs.

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah i just kinda felt like doing the research after I started.
You think they would have broken through at least once. Pitt fans probably really hate Scottie Reynolds...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom