toughest tourny loss from 2000 on | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

toughest tourny loss from 2000 on

The better question from that list might be what hurt the least. I think in that case it is one of only three.

2019 we stunk so no big deal and we weren’t beating Gonzaga.

2016 was house money playing against a really good team.

2009 we ran into a good team and it felt like we overachieved that season overall. Gritty team.
I was very upset after the 2009 Oklahoma loss. A lot of people had us as a Final Four contender and I just didn't expect to get pushed around by OU like we did.

2016 and 2019 -- got over it very quickly. 2016 was an incredible overachievement, and in 2019 I was just happy to be in the tourney and didn't expect much without Frank Howard.

I'm actually surprised that 2004 team had as good of a year as it did considering GMac was basically the only player on the roster who could make a shot outside of 5 feet.
And yet had we beaten Bama, we probably get back to back final Fours

I erased a lot of bad memories until this thread hit

01 Kansas was the round of 32. We beat Hawaii that year in the first round. We never had a chance in that game as we were killed inside. Probably the least upsetting tourney loss of the last 20 years if people barely remember it.

i felt like we were embarrassed that game. We looked like a 16 seed, so it is a bit upsetting.

after thinking about it...

Vermont, I literally fell to the floor in a heap when Sorrentine hit that 3
Michigan State, ruined my weekend, fights were had with friends due to it
Butler, but I did kind of accept it after AO injury

If we go all the way back...

1. Indiana
2. Kentucky
3. Arinze
4. Illinois
5. Iowa
6. Fab Melo
7. Michigan State
8. Richmond
9. Vermont
10. Navy

This just might be the most depressing thing I've ever posted.

Nah, don't sell yourself short.

You've likely posted much more depressing sh't than this. :p

I was very upset after the 2009 Oklahoma loss. A lot of people had us as a Final Four contender and I just didn't expect to get pushed around by OU like we did.

2016 and 2019 -- got over it very quickly. 2016 was an incredible overachievement, and in 2019 I was just happy to be in the tourney and didn't expect much without Frank Howard.

They were a 30 W team and UNC was waiting next. Final Four was a pipe dream for a team with no real forwards on the team.

While this thread was for after 2000, my all time toughest was Richmond. I was at Cole Fieldhouse for that debacle. The entire arena was on Richmond’s side except for the 100 or so Cuse fans. Just brutal.

I’ve never loved a regular season ‘Cuse team like that 2010 edition. That was the college equivalent of the ‘86 Celtics — every component of that team fit together perfectly. Watching us try to run our O through an overwhelmed Rick Jackson in that Butler game was physically painful. We were going to be champs that year, I just knew it, and then AO got hurt against G’town. Crushing.

Also, I don’t think I’ve ever been angrier at officiating than in the first half of the Ohio State game. I very rarely blame refs for a loss, but that game was outright stolen from us. Something nefarious was up that day, I’m sure of it.

Agree about the OSU game. I know I've annoyed a few posters with my reluctance to blame refs before, and I'm ok with that. That's one game I will flat out say we got screwed.

i think i was over the oklahoma game midway through the 1st half. it was obvious basically from tipoff that we werent winning that game.

2016 was so fun that by the time they got to UNC, who (if I remember correctly) owned Syracuse earlier on. House money as you said. Also, I blacked out during that game and have not watched it entirely sober

One of the all time loooonngg days.

Spring game tailgate to start the day followed by lax vs ND(might be the single worst performance in the dome), and then watch the hoops at WOB

It was a spectacular early April day as well

If I had to place one it is probably 2010. But all those losses between 2010-2013 all seem to hurt a bit more because we are a legit contender at the time who could realistically beat anybody if things went right.

The 2016 loss didn't bother me much, because I expected to get smacked before the game even started.

If I had to place one it is probably 2010. But all those losses between 2010-2013 all seem to hurt a bit more because we are a legit contender at the time who could realistically beat anybody if things went right.

The 2016 loss didn't bother me much, because I expected to get smacked before the game even started.
I lost power and missed the second half of the 2016 game.

These are all really heartwrenching losses. To me, it's Butler, Michigan and OSU, although the order changes from time to time when I think about them.
I feel like we had great chances to win the NC in each of those seasons.

I was debating Vermont vs. Butler when I read the post suggesting Michigan State and I'll go with that game. One of our best teams, (19-0 start), stuck playing the 1 seed in their back yard. We too it to them for 25 minutes and led 40-26. It was going to happen!. Then they cracked the zone and JB wouldn't switch to man, (we played both in those days) and let them run the same play over and over. they tied it at 58 and it seemed like it would go down to the wire but the Spartans scored the last 17 points in a row to win going away. it was 18-49 after we had that 40-26 lead. I remember that Preston Shumpert got knocked out of the game with a forearm shiver. he was basically our whole perimeter game. I also remember a bitter debate on this board, (or whatever one we were on at the time) about switching to man-to-man and whether it would have made any difference. Lost of frustration and anger that night. We were gonna do it!

I'm actually surprised that 2004 team had as good of a year as it did considering GMac was basically the only player on the roster who could make a
I remember Nichols coming on at the end of the year shooting well and that helped.

01 Kansas was the round of 32. We beat Hawaii that year in the first round. We never had a chance in that game as we were killed inside. Probably the least upsetting tourney loss of the last 20 years if people barely remember it.
We got crushed on the glass by a Roy Williams team. Shocking right

Butler seems to be most picked. It was tough but I never expected to make it all the way through the tournament without AO.

It's Michigan for me. A title game helplessly ripped away. Brutal.

2005 Vermont

Hard to believe that was 16 years ago

2005 Vermont

Hard to believe that was 16 years ago
For Those saying Vermont I ask sincerely because I felt like this after: the honeymoon of 03 took the sting out of 04 and 05 for me.

it just didn’t sting like 10, 95, Ohio st for me. It wasn’t optimal to lose to UVM but I had the ring from 03 and was still kinda riding high. Prob loser mentality but how I felt

Butler seems to be most picked. It was tough but I never expected to make it all the way through the tournament without AO.

It's Michigan for me. A title game helplessly ripped away. Brutal.

not sure we would have won the title without ao, but after we destroyed gonzaga in the 2nd round i was expecting us to make the f4. butler kansas st/xavier didnt look too difficult at the time.

i think i was over the oklahoma game midway through the 1st half. it was obvious basically from tipoff that we werent winning that game.

Yeah, I was excited that day, but from the first two times Devendorf and Flynn jogged out to the wing as the long-sleeved Oklahoma guy shot a three, it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a game.

One of the all time loooonngg days.

Spring game tailgate to start the day followed by lax vs ND(might be the single worst performance in the dome), and then watch the hoops at WOB

It was a spectacular early April day as well

In CNY? I don't remember the weather that day, but I remember it snowed that night. A friend was running a marathon the next morning, left our house at right after the game to get some sleep, and it was already coming down hard. I don't think his run went very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom