Tournament sites, 2019-2022 | Syracusefan.com

Tournament sites, 2019-2022

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
From 2019 to 2022, there are sites each year that are favorable to SU. They are as follows:

1st/2nd rounds Regional semifinal/final
Hartford Washington, DC
2020 Albany NYC
2021 Providence Brooklyn
2022 Buffalo Philadelphia

Hopefully SU can use these to its advantage. Yes, I am getting ahead of myself.

Any in the Dome?

Nope. I think that due to the opening of the Barclays Center and MSG's willingness to host the Regionals by rearranging the Knicks and Rangers' schedules, we are going to be seeing fewer tournament games at the Carrier Dome. Not good for revenue, but good for SU's ability to stay in the East region in upcoming tournaments.

Nope. I think that due to the opening of the Barclays Center and MSG's willingness to host the Regionals by rearranging the Knicks and Rangers' schedules, we are going to be seeing fewer tournament game at the Carrier Dome. Not good for revenue, but good for SU's ability to stay in the East region in upcoming tournaments.
I would guess the ongoing saga about Dome renovations probably had a bigger role...

That too.
When you see Hartford, Albany, Buffalo and Providence upcoming, you have to believe the renovations are the main and possibly only(?) factor...

Also, if we don't play any Buffalo or Albany games, then I will be sadly disappointed.

Sadly Boise and San Diego are the only true on-campus sites that are scheduled to host through 2022.

I’d love to see an entire on-campus tournament.

Here’s my bid... all are in or within reasonable distance to major or medium-sized cities. All first/second round sites have capacity of at least 10,000 and all regional sites have capacity of at least 16,000.

First Four:
Univ of Dayton Arena (Dayton)

First/Second rounds:
Liacouras Center (Temple, Philadelphia)
Petersen Events Center (Pittsburgh)
Breslin Center (Michigan State, East Lansing)
Kohl Center (Wisconsin, Madison)
Hilton Coliseum (Iowa State, Ames)
Frank Erwin Center (Texas, Austin)
Wells Fargo Arena (Arizona State, Tempe)
Pauley Pavilion (UCLA, Los Angeles)

Regionals:
East: Xfinity Center (Maryland, College Park)
South: Dean Smith Center (UNC, Chapel Hill)
Midwest: Allen Fieldhouse (Kansas, Lawrence)
West: Marriott Center (BYU, Provo)

Final Four:
Carrier Dome (Syracuse)

I would also propose suspending the prohibition on host schools playing “home” games - for this proposal only.

Last edited:
Sadly Boise and San Diego are the only true on-campus sites that are scheduled to host through 2022.

I’d love to see an entire on-campus tournament.

Here’s my bid... all are in or within reasonable distance to major or medium-sized cities. All first/second round sites have capacity of at least 10,000 and all regional sites have capacity of at least 16,000.

Regionals:
East: Xfinity Center (Maryland, College Park)
South: Dean Smith Center (UNC, Chapel Hill)
Midwest: Allen Fieldhouse (Kansas, Lawrence)
West: Marriott Center (BYU, Provo)

Final Four:
Carrier Dome (Syracuse)

I would also propose suspending the prohibition on host schools playing “home” games - for this proposal only.

I don't know that these towns have enough hotel space for all the fans who'd attend.

From 2019 to 2022, there are sites each year that are favorable to SU. They are as follows:

1st/2nd rounds Regional semifinal/final
Hartford Washington, DC
2020 Albany NYC
2021 Providence Brooklyn
2022 Buffalo Philadelphia

Hopefully SU can use these to its advantage. Yes, I am getting ahead of myself.

I've always loved the city of Providence. Awesome food town, quick drive down to Newport. I hope we end up there.

NCAA has said they now prefer to have all games in basketball areas until the Final Four. So the days of NCAA games appear over.

I thought they referred to the Dome in their basketball arena category, since it's a regular season place and capacity is somewhat in range.

Otherwise that's a good policy.

NCAA has said they now prefer to have all games in basketball areas until the Final Four. So the days of NCAA games appear over.

That's not true. The Dome isn't on the list of upcoming host sites because the university did not put in a bid for it. Presumably due to pending renovations. The NCAA has not removed the Carrier Dome from it's list of host sites, as it is still considered a basketball arena.

That's not true. The Dome isn't on the list of upcoming host sites because the university did not put in a bid for it. Presumably due to pending renovations. The NCAA has not removed the Carrier Dome from it's list of host sites, as it is still considered a basketball arena.

I’d think with MSG/Brooklyn added to the East regional final rotation, Syracuse may need to be willing to host 1st-2nd round games to host the NCAA tournament. I’m not sure that makes sense for SU or the NCAA.

it should be considered a basketball arena, I mean it draws basketball sized crowds for football. I kid, I kid

I’d think with MSG/Brooklyn added to the East regional final rotation, Syracuse may need to be willing to host 1st-2nd round games to host the NCAA tournament. I’m not sure that makes sense for SU or the NCAA.

I don't think that will be the case. I guarantee Syracuse will be hosting a regional again by 2025.

When you see Hartford, Albany, Buffalo and Providence upcoming, you have to believe the renovations are the main and possibly only(?) factor...

Also, if we don't play any Buffalo or Albany games, then I will be sadly disappointed.

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but those are all first weekend sites; have we ever had first weekend at the dome? It's generally been the regionals, no?

Now that MSG and Brooklyn are in play, it could be a while to see a regional. They have a pretty nice rotation of major cities they can use, DC, Philly, Boston, and NY x2.

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but those are all first weekend sites; have we ever had first weekend at the dome? It's generally been the regionals, no?

Now that MSG and Brooklyn are in play, it could be a while to see a regional. They have a pretty nice rotation of major cities they can use, DC, Philly, Boston, and NY x2.

WE did for damned sure in 1991...

Carrier Dome may still be on list of potential basketball sites but I think odds are about 0% unless NCAA thought process changes. Looking at future sites only Lucas Oil Stadium is a large area hosting a non Final Four and that is because NCAA is based in Indianapolis and throws them some bones.

Minneapolis applied for 2021 Midwest regionals and proposed to have it at US Bank Stadium (site of 2019 Final Four) but was told that Target Center would be venue due to current preference of 18k seat areas.

Good to see Albany back as a 1st round site. It's a nice arena. Of course we need to be a protected seed to get assigned there and stop being a bubble team. Albany should bid for more 1st round appearances. Unfortunately it is not big enough capacity to be a regional site any longer but it would be great if we could play our 1st/2nd round games in Albany the way Duke/UNC so often get assigned to Greensboro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom