Tournament sites | Syracusefan.com

Tournament sites

Zippy1808

2nd String
This is the first year in a while when 2 of the tournament sites were actually in on-campus arenas (Boise, San Diego).

For some reason I wish the NCAA would give the early rounds to more of the larger on-campus sites, instead of NBA/NHL arenas. Of course, the schools would have to bid, and travel might be a valid concern. (Though it’s not like Omaha is an easy trip for anyone)

A couple of good examples that would make nice choices:
Value City Arena (Ohio State)
Kohl Center (Wisconsin)
Bryce Jordan Center (Penn State)
Marriott Center (BYU)
Dean Dome (UNC)
Liacouras Center (Temple)
Breslin Center (Michigan State)

Thoughts?

This is the first year in a while when 2 of the tournament sites were actually in on-campus arenas (Boise, San Diego).

For some reason I wish the NCAA would give the early rounds to more of the larger on-campus sites, instead of NBA/NHL arenas. Of course, the schools would have to bid, and travel might be a valid concern. (Though it’s not like Omaha is an easy trip for anyone)

Kohl Center (Wisconsin)
Marriott Center (BYU)
Dean Dome (UNC)

Thoughts?
I like the general idea but having NCAA basketball games in State College would be awful. The arena is relatively small and has never played host to a meaningful game. Their is no local fan base to buy tickets, it is a really hard place to get to and it is possibly the most miserable, forlorn place on the planet,. In addition,there is nothing to do there except make plans to leave.

I like the general idea but having NCAA basketball games in State College would be awful. The arena is relatively small and has never played host to a meaningful game. Their is no local fan base to buy tickets, it is a really hard place to get to and it is possibly the most miserable, forlorn place on the planet,. In addition,there is nothing to do there except make plans to leave.
Ok, scratch that one off the list.
How about the Pete at Pitt?

I hear ya. However, some of the smaller crowds is what leads to the build up of later rounds. May very well be a better way but to many people money matters and rightfully so.

Sites are pretty much the same they just rotate.

East sites: Boston, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Charlotte, Greensboro, MSG, Providence, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Syracuse, Washington DC.

Midwest sites: Cleveland, Detroit, Dayton, Columbus Kansas City , Indianapolis, Chicago, Wichita, St. Louis. Omaha.

South: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Nashville, Lexington, Louisville,Miami, Oklahoma City. Orlando, Tampa.

West: Denver, Salt Lake, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego, San Jose, Sacramento, Portland, Spokane, Boise.

Dean Dome is a very nice arena and Raleigh-Durham is a nice area, but UNC would never bid to be an NCAA site. If the Dean Dome were a site, they would not be able to play there ... and there would be no first-weekend games for them in either Charlotte or Greensboro.

Sites are pretty much the same they just rotate.

East sites: Boston, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Charlotte, Greensboro, MSG, Providence, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Syracuse, Washington DC.

Midwest sites: Cleveland, Detroit, Dayton, Columbus Kansas City , Indianapolis, Chicago, Wichita, St. Louis. Omaha.

South: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Nashville, Lexington, Louisville,Miami, Oklahoma City. Orlando, Tampa.

West: Denver, Salt Lake, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego, San Jose, Sacramento, Portland, Spokane, Boise.
Jacksonville has been a frequent site in the South. Miami will never bid for/nor get games again, they don’t have the hotel rooms available during Spring Break and those rooms are already commanding high prices as it is.

Dean Dome is a very nice arena and Raleigh-Durham is a nice area, but UNC would never bid to be an NCAA site. If the Dean Dome were a site, they would not be able to play there ... and there would be no first-weekend games for them in either Charlotte or Greensboro.
Definitely makes sense from that angle. This is the reason why when Spokane has games, the nearby University of Idaho is the host school, instead of Gonzaga.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the sites. I don't like when teams are able to play 30-50 miles from their campus and then have 3/4 of the building taken up by their fans. That's BS. The arenas are gonna sell out anyway plus 95% of the money is generated by the TV contract. Completely unnecessary.

I will say this. The high camera angle from the games held in San Diego and Boise this first weekend was awful to watch.

I’m in favor of never utilizing that camera angle again, and if those venues don’t get hosting bids because of it, too bad.

With the amount of money spent on this tournament, they need to get stadiums with camera angles that don’t look like they’re from the 1950’s.

Last edited:
Phoenix can be a big problem also with Spring training. Also our most expensive hotel and flight month of the whole year.

Kohl Center (Wisconsin)
Marriott Center (BYU)
Dean Dome (UNC)

Thoughts?

I agree. They've done them at the NC St. place recently

If there is a suite requirement they won't meet it either.

If there is a suite requirement they won't meet it either.
There’s not. The San Diego site doesn’t have any suites. Plus the arenas sell the suites separately from the NCAA and keep all the revenue (including alcohol sales, which are allowed in the suites)

I will say this. The high camera angle from the games held in San Diego and Boise this first weekend was awful to watch.

I’m in favor of never utilizing that camera angle again, and if those venues don’t get hosting bids because of it, too bad.

With the amount of money spent on this tournament, they need to get stadiums with camera angles that don’t look like they’re from the 1950’s.
Amazing how at the Dallas arena (home of the NBA Mavericks), the main camera shot was frequently blocked by fans putting their hands in front of it.

I see a ton of empty sears in these arenas too often.

Give it to a place that will go see shlitty matchups.

Give it to Albany.

1st 2 rounds at least. Not sure if it's still considered big enough for a regional.

03 was effenawesome.

Give it to Albany.

1st 2 rounds at least. Not sure if it's still considered big enough for a regional.

03 was effenawesome.
Albany is getting the first two rounds in 2020. Will likely never see a regional again.

I've seen games televised from Boise before and never seen that camera angle before this week. I have no idea why they set up there.

They should never use a site that has an ice rink beneath the court. I was watching a game where players were slipping and falling including one player who had to be helped off the court. How about keeping the safety of the players paramount?

Give it to Albany.

03 was effenawesome.
Yeah, for the most part the arenas look dead. It's weird.

Yeah, for the most part the arenas look dead. It's weird.
This problem will never go away for 3 well-discussed reasons:
-2 games per session, many people don’t want to see both (or all of both)
-Distant sites from home fans
-No beer sales in arena, encourages extra drinking outside

This problem will never go away for 3 well-discussed reasons:
-2 games per session, many people don’t want to see both (or all of both)
-Distant sites from home fans
-No beer sales in arena, encourages extra drinking outside
But that's all always been true. This year it looks worse.

But that's all always been true. This year it looks worse.
Our first game had the dual problem of starting crazy late, and following a game featuring team with a “home” following, who saw the game they paid for and weren’t interested in sticking around in Detroit until well past midnight.