Travis Green (Bowling Green) 2015 highlights | Syracusefan.com

Travis Green (Bowling Green) 2015 highlights

PhatOrange

Living Legend
make of it what you will. I see differences along the line but we also have no-one near the RB that Travis Green was. And of course these are highlights, they're not going to show him getting stuffed. But he's a 1000 yard rusher under Babers.

You've got to give Perkins and Pierre some touches just to get a different look. Strickland/Neal's 17 carries and 42 yards (2.47) is just putrid. It's a bad trend at this point.

Thanks for posting. But I think it's really difficult to draw any comparisons, at least with respect to the quality of back. As you said, there are some obvious differences, the first being along the line. These Bowling Green lineman appear bigger and stronger than their competition. What the video doesnt show, is that at WR you had Lewis and Diener out there. Lewis would be the best receiver Syracuse has had since Mike Williams, and Diener would be among the best. These two were playing MAC level DBs so the defensive coordinators obviously needed to pay them more respect. To me, the run game problem is two-fold:
  1. O'line simply cannot get any push yet. The young guys are still too small, and the older guys are just too limited. These weaknesses are surmountable if it is only one or two of the five, but right now the entire unit has shortcomings.
  2. Strickland is not a true, between the tackles back, and Neal is still too slight. I really like Strickland in space. I actually feel sorry for him that he is not a better true running back, because I think he is a pretty good, athletic football player. As a freshman, he was excellent in space. It's scary that even during its worse years, the program could pull natural runners like Brinkley, Carter and Gulley, and coach up guys like Bailey and Smith, yet we are currently stocked so thin at the position.

You also have to remember Bowling Green was conference champs the year before Dino took over. We just finished two terrible seasons and 3-4 years of meh recruiting...

Thanks for posting. But I think it's really difficult to draw any comparisons, at least with respect to the quality of back. As you said, there are some obvious differences, the first being along the line. These Bowling Green lineman appear bigger and stronger than their competition. What the video doesnt show, is that at WR you had Lewis and Diener out there. Lewis would be the best receiver Syracuse has had since Mike Williams, and Diener would be among the best. These two were playing MAC level DBs so the defensive coordinators obviously needed to pay them more respect. To me, the run game problem is two-fold:
  1. O'line simply cannot get any push yet. The young guys are still too small, and the older guys are just too limited. These weaknesses are surmountable if it is only one or two of the five, but right now the entire unit has shortcomings.
  2. Strickland is not a true, between the tackles back, and Neal is still too slight. I really like Strickland in space. I actually feel sorry for him that he is not a better true running back, because I think he is a pretty good, athletic football player. As a freshman, he was excellent in space. It's scary that even during its worse years, the program could pull natural runners like Brinkley, Carter and Gulley, and coach up guys like Bailey and Smith, yet we are currently stocked so thin at the position.

We couldn't run last year with AET.

I noticed things like pulling lineman (note the :43 second mark ) and lineman really engaged in their blocks. And also a back with great vision and cutback ability.

1:04 mark a guard is pulling and tattoos the LB

1:32 mark you have 2 lineman pulling (against Maryland) Green displays power into the endzone

1:45 Green shows what a great runner he is

1:57 huge hole opened up but the LB guessed to the wrong side

2:20 a lineman lets a defender through. Defender flies but Green to the QB but Green has the ball. The lineman are blocking down left. The lineman who let his guy through block the LB. Green does the rest.

2:28 vs Tennessee. 7 in the box. Lineman stood up and no push. Middle is clogged shut. What seemingly should be a loss, Green goes right and slips through a crevice. Busts off a big gain.

2:42 A pulling Tackle this time. Hits the DT. Green up the middle. TD

2:54 a pulling guard and tackle to the right. Green hits the hole they open up like a rocket. Gone.

**This begs the question. Are we pulling lineman in the run game. Seems like most of Green's highlights to the this point are behind pulling lineman.

You also have to remember Bowling Green was conference champs the year before Dino took over. We just finished two terrible seasons and 3-4 years of meh recruiting...

It doesn't matter how 'good' Bowling Green might have been against the Mac. It's about the scheme.

It doesn't matter how 'good' Bowling Green might have been against the Mac. It's about the scheme.

Yeah, I mean we're struggling to run against FCS, CUSA, and maybe this weekend, MAC. It's not like we're talking about our struggles running against Clemson at this point.

Yes -- and Travis Greene had 1500 yds rushing in 2013, with Matt Johnson at QB. Both sophomores. As seniors, those two were the leading skill players for Dino's 2915 team.

Maybe the point here is that Dino's schemes work -- both passing and running the ball -- but it sure helps to have some talented OL and some skill guys who are good in any scheme.