Tressel can bring us to the promised land | Syracusefan.com

Tressel can bring us to the promised land

SaltineWar

Scout Team
It's time to show the country that we are serious about our football in Syracuse. This is the only time we will get such a high quality coach at such a low price. We can either be an exhibition team for FSU, Miami and Clemson or we can go out and try to win this thing.

Can't coach the first 5 games? So what. I didn't see much coaching the final five games of last season, and there was a four year stretch this decade where I'm not even sure we had one.

jerry -- maybe doug drafts or offers FA deal to Trey! hope all is well

Can't coach the first 5 games? So what. I didn't see much coaching the final five games of last season, and there was a four year stretch this decade where I'm not even sure we had one.

cold blooded ooooooo!

I put Tressel's chances of coming to SU about as close as the IPF breaking ground tomorrow.

If by promised land you mean NCAA sanctions and a public black eye - then go for it. Sheesh.

It's time to show the country that we are serious about our football in Syracuse. This is the only time we will get such a high quality coach at such a low price. We can either be an exhibition team for FSU, Miami and Clemson or we can go out and try to win this thing.

Can we institute a board "Scarlet Letter" for people like this?

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.

do you mean the final five games of the su season? the ones we won 4 out of 5 in?

Before you pine for dear old Jim Tressel read this...

"On December 20, 2011 the NCAA placed Ohio State on an additional one year's probation and banned it from postseason play in 2012 for numerous major violations under Tressel's watch. It also imposed a five-year show-cause penalty on Tressel, which means any NCAA member that wants to hire him would have to "show cause" for why it shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him, and could face severe penalties if he commits any further violations during that time. The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game. The NCAA came down particularly hard on Tressel because he'd had four chances to tell the truth and failed to do so. Among other things, he claimed that he didn't come forward because he believed doing so would jeopardize a federal drug investigation involving Rife."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel

I'm by no means endorsing JT, but one would think he would be on his best behavior during his probationary period.

While I'm about 99% sure it won't be JT, does his post-season ban just include just the first year? Or every year until 2017? Anyone know?

First 5 games, Conference CG and Bowl Game, first year only. The Show Cause if for 5 years; however, once shown, it is completed. There will be close scrutiny (reports to NCAA in 6 or 12 month intervals, I think), but Syracuse runs a clean program. If TGD wanted JT, I will back it. If TGD does not want JT, I will back it.

Basically, JT is out there for anyone who believes they can manage peripheral issues. Most schools will not want the hassle, I don't blame them. The trade off is clear: A known commodity v. enhanced NCAA scrutiny.

"The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game. ."
Ok, ok... he will be the "coach in waiting" then. Also, how many years of probation = "promised land"?

Ok, ok... he will be the "coach in waiting" then.
He would be 64 going on 65 years old in 2017. He might be waiting for a bed in the old folks home by then.

"On December 20, 2011 the NCAA placed Ohio State on an additional one year's probation and banned it from postseason play in 2012 for numerous major violations under Tressel's watch. It also imposed a five-year show-cause penalty on Tressel, which means any NCAA member that wants to hire him would have to "show cause" for why it shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him, and could face severe penalties if he commits any further violations during that time. The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game. The NCAA came down particularly hard on Tressel because he'd had four chances to tell the truth and failed to do so. Among other things, he claimed that he didn't come forward because he believed doing so would jeopardize a federal drug investigation involving Rife."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel
one can be sanctioned just for hiring him??

ok. im off the tressel bandwagon.

diaco or bust.

Oh Lord

He would be 64 going on 65 years old in 2017. He might be waiting for a bed in old folks home by then.

Are you saying he would be too old to get us to probation?

one can be sanctioned just for hiring him??

ok. im off the tressel bandwagon.

diaco or bust.

Oh Lord

A school filling a 90,000 seat stadium can risk hiring a coach with a show-cause penalty. A Syracuse certainly cannot.

Ok, ok... he will be the "coach in waiting" then. Also, how many years of probation = "promised land"?

Until December 2016.

Until December 2016.
I was asking how many years of probation will SU need to get to be in the "promised land" Tressel will take us to.

I was asking how many years of probation will SU need to get to be in the "promised land" Tressel will take us to.

There is no telling what sanctions SU could receive. No Div 1 school has ever hired someone with an outstanding show cause. That should tell you they are basically saying don't hire this guy.

he will never take us to the "promised land"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom