Trevon Trejo | Syracusefan.com

Trevon Trejo

Awesome news. We definitely cannot afford to lose any potential impact players on the DL.

machete-poster.jpg

Can anyone who is familiar with him provide a comparison to what MPB was able to do on the field?

Can anyone who is familiar with him provide a comparison to what MPB was able to do on the field?
Not me. But I can tell you he allegedly also had an offer from Michigan State.

My understanding is that he's behind where MPB was when he arrived. Hope I'm wrong.

He is more of a run-stuffing end than a speed rush guy. Him and MPB aren't really the same type of player.

He is more of a run-stuffing end than a speed rush guy. Him and MPB aren't really the same type of player.

Thanks for that info.

That's not what I was hoping to hear--sounds like he's very similar to Welsh / Robinson in that regard. We need some guys who can get upfield and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. I'm hoping that Ron Thompson gives us some of that, and was hoping that Trejo would bring some ability to the table, as well.

Even so, hard not to envision this kid finding his way into the rotation.

I agree with you, we need guys that can get up field and make plays. Daoust mentioned to me that this year will be the first time in awhile we don't have a DE that can really do that. Don't get me wrong, he had high praise for all of our guys, but the Thompson move showed the writing on the wall. He said he wanted Ron badly out of high school but Marrone basically told him don't touch it, don't even look at it. Also said Ron is extremely intelligent, really good kid, thinks he'll do we'll with the transition.

If Trejo can make 30 tackles, and contribute 1 sack he'll match what MPB did last year.

You guys give MPB far too much credit as some outstanding edge rusher.

Sharpe on the other hand had 7 sacks.

If Trejo can make 30 tackles, and contribute 1 sack he'll match what MPB did last year.

You guys give MPB far too much credit as some outstanding edge rusher.

Sharpe on the other hand had 7 sacks.

I don't agree with that, Phat. I don't think that anyone will mistake MPB for Dwight Freeney, but of the returning DEs he was the one how was best suited to make plays in the backfield. That's all anyone's saying.

I like Welsh and Robinson--a lot. I just think that they are more like 3-4, run stuffing ends as opposed to guys who will generate pressure on QBs. I don't know anything about Trejo besides what's reported here, but from the sound of posts above he is cut from that same cloth. Time will tell.

Bottom line: DE is a big question mark right now, as is our ability to get after opposing QBs by generating pass rush.

I don't agree with that, Phat. I don't think that anyone will mistake MPB for Dwight Freeney, but of the returning DEs he was the one how was best suited to make plays in the backfield. That's all anyone's saying.

I like Welsh and Robinson--a lot. I just think that they are more like 3-4, run stuffing ends as opposed to guys who will generate pressure on QBs. I don't know anything about Trejo besides what's reported here, but from the sound of posts above he is cut from that same cloth. Time will tell.

Bottom line: DE is a big question mark right now, as is our ability to get after opposing QBs by generating pass rush.

I agree, RF. I'm hoping that our lack of a true edge rusher will be mitigated by our blitz packages, although obviously blitz packages are much more effective when in tandem with pure edge rushers. Also, I'm hoping that if we don't have a natural pass rush, our corners might still be effective if put on an island. On paper, we'll have some good experienced athletic guys in the secondary. Maybe Reddish becomes a star this year, coming off a solid year last year?

I agree, RF. I'm hoping that our lack of a true edge rusher will be mitigated by our blitz packages, although obviously blitz packages are much more effective when in tandem with pure edge rushers. Also, I'm hoping that if we don't have a natural pass rush, our corners might still be effective if put on an island. On paper, we'll have some good experienced athletic guys in the secondary. Maybe Reddish becomes a star this year, coming off a solid year last year?

Book it. Best corner since Kevin Abrams.

Maybe Luke A could see some run as an edge rusher? Definitely has the size.

With the kind of push we should get inside, most teams are going to have to go one- one outside, even without Williams you have some people inside who could be monsters.

The one thing you can't teach is a motor. That is something Welsh seems to have. Hopefully he is putting his work in and can give us a lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom