Trevor Cooney projection | Syracusefan.com

Trevor Cooney projection

heresjohnny88

2nd String
What kind of player does Cooney project to be? I'm admittedly not too familiar with his game / background, but those I have spoken to say he's a lights out shooter. Will he be another Rautins-type player?

better than rautins, lights out shooter. chris quinn , jj reddick bombs from 3. but more physical and diverse.

much more athletic than rautins, cooney got some hops! and much stronger, built like triche and waiters

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

He's built better than most prototypical "sharpshooters", I think he'll be able to get in the lane too

What kind of player does Cooney project to be? I'm admittedly not too familiar with his game / background, but those I have spoken to say he's a lights out shooter. Will he be another Rautins-type player?
13/4/3/1 2nd team All BE One and done. : - )

One of the main things lacking from this team was a reliable three point shooter. Dion, Scoop, Kris, Triche, and Southerland each had individual games where they shot very well, but none of these guys seemed to have to consistency where you KNEW they were going to hit 2 or 3 EVERY game. We never had a go-to shooter or go-to scorer, which really speaks volumes about how this team played together. 34-3 is a great accomplishment.

One of the main things lacking from this team was a reliable three point shooter. Dion, Scoop, Kris, Triche, and Southerland each had individual games where they shot very well, but none of these guys seemed to have to consistency where you KNEW they were going to hit 2 or 3 EVERY game. We never had a go-to shooter or go-to scorer, which really speaks volumes about how this team played together. 34-3 is a great accomplishment.
Triche and Southerland were arguably our best 3PT shooters this year. You have to assume that Southerland will be more consistent next year; add that with a senoir Triche, a sharpshooter in Cooney, and more PT for MCW, we're gonna be very good in a area that severely lacked this year.

A 6-4 gmac on roids with better athleticism and driving ability, will be an all time great and fave when hes done, will be hated by opposing fans and they will wonder by his junior year how the hell did he not graduate yet

He's built better than most prototypical "sharpshooters", I think he'll be able to get in the lane too
i think he'll be a cross between rautins (pre senior season) and Eric Devendorf. He is a far and away better athlete than both however.

Triche......were arguably our best 3PT shooters this year. You have to assume that Southerland will be more consistent next year; add that with a senoir Triche, a sharpshooter in Cooney, and more PT for MCW, we're gonna be very good in a area that severely lacked this year.

Every year people try to argue this with BT - what makes people think this is true?

I think he has an extremely high ceiling. He seems to be athletic, have a great stroke, and has a pretty good handle. Add those qualities to excellent size for a college guard and you could have the makings of a special player.

I just hope his shooting touch translates into NCAA play. So many great HS shooters lose their stroke when playing at a much higher level. Luckily, I think Cooney has enough other tools so he'll be a valuable player regardless. But if his shots keep falling - watch out, he's gonna be a player!

So...will Cooney likely be our starting 2 with Triche starting at point (MCW getting significant PT)?

So...will Cooney likely be our starting 2 with Triche starting at point (MCW getting significant PT)?

No. Cooney will come off the bench and get 15-20 mpg.

For those who have seen Cooney in practice at syracuse is he getting shots off well against smothering defense????

From all the AAU reports he shot cold alot of nights and didn't get into the lane alot. Curious if he is good at getting open.

The college level is such a different speed of ball. The floor can be more spread and a good passer goes a long way as well.

Until I know he can get open and knock down shots against the better defenses in the country, I would think MCW with Brandon as the offguard are going to hog as many minutes as possible.

Reguardless, what we should consider a HUGE PLUS is he has played at Syracuse's level of speed for a year in practice. And he hit some awesome shots in the first few exhibitions. I wonder if Dion benefitted from his shot some. That is experience right there.

Also its early but Trever seemed to me like a guy built to not be bothered by fans. He just has that look.

For those who have seen Cooney in practice at syracuse is he getting shots off well against smothering defense????

From all the AAU reports he shot cold alot of nights and didn't get into the lane alot. Curious if he is good at getting open.

The college level is such a different speed of ball. The floor can be more spread and a good passer goes a long way as well.

Until I know he can get open and knock down shots against the better defenses in the country, I would think MCW with Brandon as the offguard are going to hog as many minutes as possible.

Reguardless, what we should consider a HUGE PLUS is he has played at Syracuse's level of speed for a year in practice. And he hit some awesome shots in the first few exhibitions. I wonder if Dion benefitted from his shot some. That is experience right there.

Also its early but Trever seemed to me like a guy built to not be bothered by fans. He just has that look.
Well he better be ready. GMac and Hop seem to be fairly happy with his progress; although you're right we won't really know till we see him in a game. But if he struggles we might be seeing 36mpg from Triche and MCW next year...

C'mon dude you wouldn't know that from watching an SU practice.

He will be as beloved as GMAC when he leaves.

Seems like an impossible standard to reach, but I'm very confident he'll get there.

Been following his progress in pregame shooting all season. My opinion: he has been working all year on getting his shots off quickly, off the bounce/off screens. Was a solid stand-still shooter with quick release when he started. He is a lot more dangerous now...appears to have made major strides here. Extremely dedicated, extremely hard worker. Is currently ahead of any shooter we have had in the program at this point in his career. Guys like GMac, Andy and BT started doing the stuff Trevor is doing now circa their junior years.

That being said, it is a lot easier to make baskets when no one is covering you. Defense is going to be a problem for him early in his career, as it was for Andy. But I have heard a number of reports from people who attend practices who say Trevor has been impressive in game condition scrimmages. Most shooters require a couple of years to make the changes necessary to be effective at the college level. Trevor will, I think, prove to be an exception to the rule. GMac has been really helpful to him, guiding him on what he needs to do damage. They work together on shooting drills a lot...

I hope he makes as much progress on defense as Andy did.

While not quit as athletic and talented, I compared him to a Rex Chapman type when we were recruiting him. He isn't Devendorf or GMac simply because those 2 didn't take it to the hole to dunk.