Trevor Cooney projection | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trevor Cooney projection

Kid can play. Will be a great bench player for us next year.

You can see the big difference between his junior tape and senior tape.

Looks like it's too late to moderate expectations for the kid. Some of you have him better than Gmac, Sherm and Pearl all rolled together. Just remember it is all talk, only talk and more talk. The young man is totally untested at the D1 level. Yes his HS clips look great, but I'm still waiting for a HS clip that doesn't look impressive.

I still contend that he will prove to be the most important recruit in his class.

Looks like it's too late to moderate expectations for the kid. Some of you have him better than Gmac, Sherm and Pearl all rolled together. Just remember it is all talk, only talk and more talk. The young man is totally untested at the D1 level. Yes his HS clips look great, but I'm still waiting for a HS clip that doesn't look impressive.
He didn't shoot that well in AAU/camps, etc. the summer before his senior season, which kept his ranking down. As I said in my post, shooting in practice and shooting in games is a lot different. It is great though that he took advantage of the redshirt year to work hard on things that will make the adjustment to college ball easier...getting his shot off quicker and getting better at shooting off the bounce or coming around off a screen. IMHO, he will be more a sophomore than a freshman this fall. He is well positioned to have a really good frosh year.

I'd love to see Cooney have a good enough handle and athleticism to play similarly to Jason Terry. He looks like he's put on some good weight while at SU so far. Don't think he needs to be Triche's size, but he looks like he's really gotten stronger.

I'd love to see Cooney have a good enough handle and athleticism to play similarly to Jason Terry. He looks like he's put on some good weight while at SU so far. Don't think he needs to be Triche's size, but he looks like he's really gotten stronger.
When you get up close to him, you see he is big and solid.

While not quit as athletic and talented, I compared him to a Rex Chapman type when we were recruiting him. He isn't Devendorf or GMac simply because those 2 didn't take it to the hole to dunk.

This seems like a pretty good comparison, based upon the practices I saw. He's very solidly built--the anti-GMac in that regard, in that he's already physically developed and cut.

The main limitation I observed was that he stinks defensively at this stage of his developmental curve. Doesn't mean he can't / won't improve on D, I'm just talking right now.

He's going to play a lot next season, but people should have realistic expectations for year one. I agree with some other posters in this thread that by the time he is an upperclassman, he's going to be lights out for us. Redshirting him was absolutely the right thing to do--we're going to be very, very happy with this guy as a fifth year player instead of having squandered his eligibility this year, when he might have barely played.

IF he can do this at the next level, which hasn't been established, he's got a whole bunch of offensive talent. In the two vids posted, I saw:

- a rautins quality stroke from outside;
- gmac toughness and handle in transition;
- a couple of devo style finishes, altering shots at the rim (but no high lefty layup...yet);
- a pearl crossover feint;
- a dion crossover; and
- some rex chapman style dunks.

Let's see if his defense, and a year of practice against some pretty good guard competition, coalesce to produce the kind of lofty numbers Bees is projecting.

Maybe the shirt wasn't such a good idea this year? ;) just sayin...

Rumor has it he's 8 foot tall and can shoot fire out of his arse and when he's done with Syracuse he'll save Scotland from King Charles.
It was Edward Longshanks LOL

For those who have seen Cooney in practice at syracuse is he getting shots off well against smothering defense????

From all the AAU reports he shot cold alot of nights and didn't get into the lane alot. Curious if he is good at getting open.

The college level is such a different speed of ball. The floor can be more spread and a good passer goes a long way as well.

Until I know he can get open and knock down shots against the better defenses in the country, I would think MCW with Brandon as the offguard are going to hog as many minutes as possible.

Reguardless, what we should consider a HUGE PLUS is he has played at Syracuse's level of speed for a year in practice. And he hit some awesome shots in the first few exhibitions. I wonder if Dion benefitted from his shot some. That is experience right there.

Also its early but Trever seemed to me like a guy built to not be bothered by fans. He just has that look.

The players have reported throughout the year that he can shoot the lights out in practice. I have to think that a redshirt year for him to adjust to the physicality and speed of the college game is really going to accelerate his development next year. He's going to come in as a "freshman" officially, but I think he's going to be game ready right from the start. From the videos I've seen of practices, he seems like a hard worker. It must have been tough for him to sit out this year, but he's going to be very good.

I just hope you guys aren't building him up to tear him down later when he doesn't meet the expectations.

I project he will be the next player that half of us will wonder why he's riding the pine.

Rex Chapman! Wow! I'd be happy with a poor man's version of Rex.

Rumor has it he's 8 foot tall and can shoot fire out of his arse and when he's done with Syracuse he'll save Scotland from King Charles.
Not to nit pick but that would be Edward I

Scroll down in the thread and you'll find out that he's dead. ;)
thanks I would hate to have "longshanks" out and about in todays world I feel much better

thanks I would hate to have "longshanks" out and about in todays world I feel much better

Oh he's still around just in another evil life form, you know him as Higgins.

I just hope you guys aren't building him up to tear him down later when he doesn't meet the expectations.
That never happens here.

Rex Chapman! Wow! I'd be happy with a poor man's version of Rex.
By next December most people will be recalling Rex Chapman as a poor man's version Trevor Cooney.