Trill Williams OT score | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trill Williams OT score

Wouldn't they have to return that fumble for a TD?

It would start a fresh set of downs, which they don't get.
Why don't they get them? Overtime starts on the 25 yard line. It ends when the team on offense is stopped or scores. It's not limited to a certain number of downs. I think everything is treated as it would be regulation, so a freak play like that just give Wake the ball where they recovered it. They'd still have to move the ball to score.

Reactions: FAL
Why don't they get them? Overtime starts on the 25 yard line. It ends when the team on offense is stopped or scores. It's not limited to a certain number of downs. I think everything is treated as it would be regulation, so a freak play like that just give Wake the ball where they recovered it. They'd still have to move the ball to score.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Makes the most sense.

I wonder how if it’s ever happened. If the rule says you get a possession, how are you not getting a second possession in this scenario.

I wonder how if it’s ever happened. If the rule says you get a possession, how are you not getting a second possession in this scenario.
What about a penalty, say roughing the passer? Automatic first, right? Imagine our QB gets blown up late and knocked out of the game on second and long. We get yards, but a backup QB and 3rd down?

What about a penalty, say roughing the passer? Automatic first, right? Imagine our QB gets blown up late and knocked out of the game on second and long. We get yards, but a backup QB and 3rd down?

Yeah, but they never lost possession in that case because the fumble is voided with acceptance of the penalty.

With no penalty, we clearly had possession of the ball. Which means if we fumbled and Wake gets it back, that's another possession.

OT rule says each team gets a possession.

It's too bad we didn't get to the 5th OT because then it's a 2 point conversion contest, which happened in VT vs UNC this year. Doesn't it sound so exciting??? (points gun toward head, pulls trigger).

Yeah, but they never lost possession in that case because the fumble is voided with acceptance of the penalty.

With no penalty, we clearly had possession of the ball. Which means if we fumbled and Wake gets it back, that's another possession.

OT rule says each team gets a possession.

It's too bad we didn't get to the 5th OT because then it's a 2 point conversion contest, which happened in VT vs UNC this year. Doesn't it sound so exciting??? (points gun toward head, pulls trigger).
This is correct. Wake's possession ended when the turnover occurred. Recovering another turnover would be a second possession.

This is correct. Wake's possession ended when the turnover occurred. Recovering another turnover would be a second possession.
Unless Wake took the ball into the end zone. Until the whistle blows, the play continues.

Quit what iffing! He stripped the ball, returned it what 96 yards and we beat a team we shouldn't have. It was probably the best ending we could have had for the season we had. Thanks Trill for returning that ball and giving us a little hope for next season. Now, fellas, let it go!

beat a team we shouldn’t have?! Based on what?

Unless Wake took the ball into the end zone. Until the whistle blows, the play continues.
Right, which was discussed above as the only way Wake could have won the game after the turnover. I was responding to a response to a response (and maybe one more) about if Wake recovered a turnover after the strip and wouldn't they get another series.

Nope. On a normal regulation play if the same thing happened but Trill is stripped at the 5 and they recover it, it's first and 10, not 3rd and 85. For that reason alone it is considered a change in possession(twice). That would end their OT series.

Based on the way we played all year and the way they played, Wake was the better team. I hope that clears it up for you.

Then there is the fact that Wake beat BC and BC clobbered us. They also beat Florida State and we didn't. They placed 14 players on the all-acc team, we had 6. They finished 8-4 and 4-4 in conference. We were 5-7 and 2-6 in conference. They are going bowling and we are not. So, I would say they were a better team this year.

Based on the way we played all year and the way they played, Wake was the better team. I hope that clears it up for you.

It was a beat up Wake Forest team at home. Underdog sure, shouldn't beat? Please.

When I looked up the rules it said the possession ends when a team scores or fails to pick up a first down. I suppose in that scenario, they get a first down?

Nope. On a normal regulation play if the same thing happened but Trill is stripped at the 5 and they recover it, it's first and 10, not 3rd and 85. For that reason alone it is considered a change in possession(twice). That would end their OT series.
Is it that clear cut? The rules that I found don't spell it out.

I think this is right. They had their set of downs to either tie the score or win. That set of downs ended on the strip and resulting change of possession. Regardless of what happened after the strip.
No, because they can get a new set of Downs in OT.

When I looked up the rules it said the possession ends when a team scores or fails to pick up a first down. I suppose in that scenario, they get a first down?

So what I'm hearing is that if Trill fumbled the ball, Wake recovered, Wake player was tackled, then we would have had a 1 hour replay review while they had someone interpret the rule.

It was a beat up Wake Forest team at home. Underdog sure, shouldn't beat? Please.
Please! This time of year everyone is beat up. How many starters did we have out? Come on, that is just nonsense.

Is it that clear cut? The rules that I found don't spell it out.
Yes it is.

The team that gets possession first receives the ball on its opponent’s 25-yard line. The team can keep possession of the ball until one of the following happens:

1. They score a touchdown
  2. Attempt a field goal
  3. Turn over the ball
A turnover has occured. In HS the play is whistled dead immediately. In college, the play is allowed to continue but it is still a change of possession. It's just that the play is allowed to finish. Just because two turnovers occur DOES NOT change the fact that they turned the ball over on the original possession for that OT period and per rules each team gets one possession starting at the 25 yard line per OT period.

Yes it is.

The team that gets possession first receives the ball on its opponent’s 25-yard line. The team can keep possession of the ball until one of the following happens:

1. They score a touchdown
  2. Attempt a field goal
  3. Turn over the ball
A turnover has occured. In HS the play is whistled dead immediately. In college, the play is allowed to continue but it is still a change of possession. It's just that the play is allowed to finish. Just because two turnovers occur DOES NOT change the fact that they turned the ball over on the original possession for that OT period and per rules each team gets one possession starting at the 25 yard line per OT period.

So from the theater of the absurd: Trill is caught from behind and fumbles, Wake recovers and runs it all the way into the end zone. Syracuse wins because once Wake turned the ball over per scenario three above, they are done?

So from the theater of the absurd: Trill is caught from behind and fumbles, Wake recovers and runs it all the way into the end zone. Syracuse wins because once Wake turned the ball over per scenario three above, they are done?
No because the play isn't dead until the play is dead. If Trill fumbles, that is another change of possession, but the play is still alive, if they score they get credit for the TD, if they get tackled on the .01 yard line the game is over because the play is.

The argument you guys are making is basically this, the QB didn't thrown an Interception because the LB that caught the ball fumbled it 25 yards later. In that scenario, during regulation, you are starting a new possession, hence 1st and 10, not 3rd and 50.

I been watching football for almost 40 years and played a few back in HS. Every single time the defense creates a turnover, gets possession, but then coughs it back up to the offense, the offense gets a new set of downs. I have never seen a team end up in long to go because of a double turnover scenario. That means it's a new possession.

Last edited:
Espn had a funny little blurb about the strangeness of winning by 9 in OT, and that until the final 50 seconds or so there was virtually no chance at "the over" (which was 67.5).

the score was tied 27-27 which gave the over a relatively good chance.

once the game went to OT, it was strong odds of going over.

going into 2nd down, the under betters had all but given up hope.

the score was tied 27-27 which gave the over a relatively good chance.

once the game went to OT, it was strong odds of going over.

going into 2nd down, the under betters had all but given up hope.

Huh? I'm not a gambler (I assume the guy who noted the anamolly knows his stuff though), and I am not a mathematician, but I do not see how being 2 touchdowns below the over with 50 seconds left in the game is "a relatively good chance" of reaching the over.

Of course, going to overtime makes it more probably, but there were several outcomes that still could have happened to avoid the over - one team doesnt score, and the other makes a field goal, or one team doesnt score and the other gets a touchdown. Hell, if Trill just fell down, they dont beat the over.

No because the play isn't dead until the play is dead. If Trill fumbles, that is another change of possession, but the play is still alive, if they score they get credit for the TD, if they get tackled on the .01 yard line the game is over because the play is.

The argument you guys are making is basically this, the QB didn't thrown an Interception because the LB that caught the ball fumbled it 25 yards later. In that scenario, during regulation, you are starting a new possession, hence 1st and 10, not 3rd and 50.

I been watching football for almost 40 years and played a few back in HS. Every single time the defense creates a turnover, gets possession, but then coughs it back up to the offense, the offense gets a new set of downs. I have never seen a team end up in long to go because of a double turnover scenario. That means it's a new possession.
Right. It's a new set of downs. I'm not saying your logic is wrong. All I'm saying is the way they are written, the rules are unclear if that logic is followed in this unlikely scenario.