Trill Williams | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Trill Williams

Trill may be in the right place at the right time…

The biggest domino just fell
Howard...smh...good riddance. Crying after the Phins took great care of him less than 2 years ago. Trill definitely right place, right time. Hope he crushes it.

Howard...smh...good riddance. Crying after the Phins took great care of him less than 2 years ago. Trill definitely right place, right time. Hope he crushes it.
Howard changes things but I never saw Jones as a long term solution despite the dollar amount Miami put towards him.

A vacuum may be opening up at cb for Miami and Trill has the physicality and playmaking ability to get looks.

This is a portion of a Miami Herald article from today on Trill Williams.

▪ In trying to predict which undrafted rookies have the best chance to stick, you always start with the ones given the most guaranteed money after the draft.

And for the Dolphins, two stand well above everyone else: guard Robert Jones (given $130,000 guaranteed) and cornerback Trill Williams (who is guaranteed $100,000 by the Dolphins after being claimed off waivers from the Saints).

And Williams has impressed in the first week of camp, making a few good plays on the ball and forcing two fumbles, after making an interception in mandatory minicamp. He has been beaten some too in the past week, but there’s potential there.

Williams was considered a fourth-to-sixth-round talent before an ankle injury at Syracuse.

The Dolphins offered Williams more money than the Saints did immediately after the draft, but Williams opted for New Orleans partly because he thought he had a better chance to make the Saints. But he ended up with the Dolphins anyway because the Saints — after signing him — wanted him to sign a waiver regarding his surgically repaired ankle.

New Orleans thought it would sneak him through waivers and re-sign him, not expecting any team to claim him and inherit his $100,000 guarantee. But the Dolphins pounced.

The 6-2 rookie had four interceptions in 28 college games and opted out after five games last season, because he thought it wasn’t advisable to continue playing with a torn ligament in his ankle. That ankle injury was affecting his hamstring and his ability to play to his level of expectation, his father told The Syracuse Post Standard last fall.

He had surgery in December but is fine now.

During the past three seasons, he had passer ratings against of 54.7 (2018), 98.7 (2019) and 80.1 (2020), with 92 tackles and three forced fumbles. Pro Football Focus rated him a fourth-rounder before the draft. NFL.com rated him a sixth-rounder.

Making the Dolphins as an undrafted corner will be difficult with Xavien Howard, Byron Jones, Noah Igbinoghene, Jason McCourty (more of a safety now), Nik Needham and Justin Coleman having jobs secured. But Williams has a chance if Miami keeps six corners.

“With Trill, what he brings on his tape coming out of Syracuse is he was a run-and-hit guy,” cornerbacks coach Charles Burks said. “He was a guy that was very physical on his tape. He played some corner and he played some safety, so again in our system, we like guys who are versatile and can do a lot of things.”

Jones has a chance too, if Miami keeps 10 linemen (unlikely) or if the Dolphins keep nine but release a veteran backup such as Jermaine Eluemunor.

But the fact the Dolphins might not keep a single undrafted rookie on the final 53 speaks to how the roster has been upgraded. And there’s definitely room for Jones and Willliams on the practice squad, and perhaps a couple of the other undrafted rookies such as Indiana defensive tackle Jerome Johnson.

He is an NFL player-Still can't believe he wasn't drafted

He was coming off the ankle injury.
I get it.

But - it’s an excellent sign that a minimum of 2 teams were happy to pay him a guaranteed $100k just to compete in camp.

If he doesn’t make their final roster, it’s highly likely he ends up on their (or another teams) practice squad, at a minimum.

He’s such a physical talent and playmaker, it seems inevitable that he’ll make a team roster somewhere, assuming he stays healthy.

He was coming off the ankle injury.
I get it.

But - it’s an excellent sign that a minimum of 2 teams were happy to pay him a guaranteed $100k just to compete in camp.

If he doesn’t make their final roster, it’s highly likely he ends up on their (or another teams) practice squad, at a minimum.

He’s such a physical talent and playmaker, it seems inevitable that he’ll make a team roster somewhere, assuming he stays healthy.

It still makes me go “what if” he came back for 1 more season at Syracuse

I think he’s easily drafted in rounds 2-4.

Really want him to stick but man one more year would have done him right in my opinion

Really want him to stick but man one more year would have done him right in my opinion

Annnnnnd…. One more injury may have done him in, career-wise.

Never gonna fault a young person for chasing their dreams while they can.

if he avoids serious injury and other outside factors fall into place. Can't fault him for wanting to go pro asap after being around for most of last years trainwreck season.

Don't blame him coming off an injury. Makes you realize just how quickly your dream can vanish.

As a Dolphins fan, I pay attention to camp articles this time of year.

Saw one earlier this week [on like, Wednesday] that indicated that not only is he performing well, but per the reporter - Trill is also working an extended run in camp where he's the first player out on the practice field every day, so that he can get extra work in with his position coach. I'm sure the coaching staff is taking notice.

...and this:

Trill has always been a big play maker. There are only so many of those guys in the league, and some have a knack for it like Trill. It looks like he has his explosiveness back when he ran down that WR. He can work on the consistency. The Phins would be crazy to let him go.

Not the best report on Trill below, but one of the Dolphins cornerbacks, Nik Needham, got injured yesterday and had to be carted off the field.
From the joint practice with the Falcons.
The Falcons drove the length of the field, attacking rookie cornerback Trill Williams, but Ogbah sacked Ryan on back-to-back plays at the goal line, and the final sack allowed time to expire on third down.
Stock down
Being called up to the first-team defense is a major accomplishment for a rookie, but Ryan used it as an opportunity to turn former Syracuse standout Williams into a target, repeatedly throwing completions on the 6-foot-1, 205 cornerback. Williams has flashed some talent during training camp, but he’ll need an impressive showing during the final two preseason games if he’s going to survive the final cuts come Aug. 31.

Of course I am a novice but my gut always told me Trill has NFL DB ability. As a Bills fan I would love to see Trill be picked up on our practice squad. The instincts, the athletic ability are there imo. He needs experience and some coaching.

Not the best report on Trill below, but one of the Dolphins cornerbacks, Nik Needham, got injured yesterday and had to be carted off the field.
From the joint practice with the Falcons.

So wait... a UFA got called up to 1st team defense, but he's in danger of being cut?

Naacp GIF by BET

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom