Trim the fat | Syracusefan.com

Trim the fat

Cuse House

All American
This team is going nowhere, but besides from the lack of top recruits, I think the team next year will be back to being a solid squad. We have a strong nucleus next year if Lydon returns, and we also will be returning to a traditional rotation where people know their roles. Just feels like there are too many moving parts this year. The concern of course is the guard spot, but look for Battle to improve. Frank I am not so sure about right now, but he could certainly turn it around. Our front court will be solid and the team chemistry should vastly improve. The prospects of a Lydon/Thompson front court duo have me intrigued, and I think one of the freshman will be able to contribute. I am not hating on the 5th year guys, but they don't fit here. All of this is contingent on Lydon returning.

Junior Frank, Soph Battle, (Insert Player Here), PF Lydon and C Thompson has potential.
I honestly think Brisset or Sidibe will be able to play immediately. I like both of their tapes and Sidibe reminds me of the Thompson situation. Coming from a great high school program, not too highly touted but a top 75 ish guy who has consistently shown improvement. Those are the type of guys who can elevate a program when they exceed expectations. He just needs to add some weight and he will be great here, I think.

The fact that there's a likelihood of Battle and Lydon not returning is absolutely terrifying.

Man, where are the guys that a month ago were saying that we were going to turn into grad transfer U and that I was over-reacting about my fear for next year because we went to a final four last year.

Wait why wouldn't Battle return?
We still have the conference schedule. If he averages above 12 a game and plays well throughout the ACC, that'll undoubtedly open up draft potential. We can talk all we want about how he's not ready or what not, but we all know it doesn't matter in the end.

Battle isn't going anywhere. If Lydon comes back we will be good I think. Lydon, Thompson, Moyer, Howard, Battle with some contributions from the 2 front court kids and Chukwu.

A lot of folks keep forgetting about Moyer.
I don't think of Moyer as some transcendent talent who can play point-forward. He's going to be the back-up PF. At best, I'm hoping for freshman CJ Fair numbers from him.

Sidibe
Brisset
Battle
Thompson
Chukwu
Moyer
Howard
Lydon

That's a real thin team with several unknowns and, again, no point guard.

The forecast here 5 years ago was that DC could start on that current team, how has that worked out. PC was suppose to be the shot blocking anchor for the zone. Battle was suppose to be the starter at the 2. The team had so many options that playing 9 was going to be a reality. And on and on and on. Its nice to be optimistic but you should wait till you at least see the product.

The forecast here 5 years ago was that DC could start on that current team, how has that worked out. PC was suppose to be the shot blocking anchor for the zone. Battle was suppose to be the starter at the 2. The team had so many options that playing 9 was going to be a reality. And on and on and on. Its nice to be optimistic but you should wait till you at least see the product.

I'm not the most optimistic guy here but I thought given the pieces the team projected a LOT closer to top five than it did to this dumpster fire.

I'm not the most optimistic guy here but I thought given the pieces the team projected a LOT closer to top five than it did to this dumpster fire.
oh so did I and 95% of the media and SU fans. Heck with 9 supposedly quality players if 2, even 3 fail to perform, that still leaves a fairly good team. Going 6 deep is nothing new. This team can't seem to get 5 to work together for more than a few minute at a time.

The fact that there's a likelihood of Battle and Lydon not returning is absolutely terrifying.

Personally, I believe Lydon is the only one that will leave. Battle hasn't really stood out like our past players have (Ennis, MCW, Mali, etc.). He'd have to have some type of run to get NBA consideration after this season.

We still have the conference schedule. If he averages above 12 a game and plays well throughout the ACC, that'll undoubtedly open up draft potential. We can talk all we want about how he's not ready or what not, but we all know it doesn't matter in the end.

He's played like crap. Mali who wasn't even that impressive last year has shown light years more than Battle.

If Battle goes anywhere he's transferring. He has literally 1% chance of getting drafted at this point and his playing time isn't going to go up much more than it has.

He's played like crap. Mali who wasn't even that impressive last year has shown light years more than Battle.

If Battle goes anywhere he's transferring. He has literally 1% chance of getting drafted at this point and his playing time isn't going to go up much more than it has.
We say the same things about the same guys every year man. All it takes is an above average conference play run.

I had been thinking Lydon would certainly be back next year, because he hadn't been 'lighting it up' early. But, after the way this season has gone, if he has just a few really good games, if the prospect of our team being as sucky as it is right now, he might just leave to avoid the suck, not expecting his draft position would be improved by playing on two consecutive 'bad' teams. We will really need him.

I hope the whole "5th year grad transfer" thing hasn't been irrevocably tainted. The concept is sound. We just didn't get the guard that would impact our team as much as we need. Personally, i thought Gillon was coming in to be a backup to Frank, and that Frank was going to improve enough to be the true PG. He improved his shot, but not his actual PG skills. But, i still think that's 90% mental, and he can get better during this season.

That was on good, winning teams. A 6th man from a 16-16 NIT team isn't the same as the others.
I am surprised year after year and don't expect it to change.

We say the same things about the same guys every year man. All it takes is an above average conference play run.

That's not true. If it was then CJ Fair would have left, Lydon would have left, and countless others would have left.

Again, Mali showed something all year, while I don't think it was a lot, it was enough. Battle isn't half way of what Mali was last season.

I am surprised year after year and don't expect it to change.

What skill does Battle possess that makes you think he could average 12 a game in the ACC? He goes 1-7 every game against a halfway decent opponent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom