Trim the fat | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trim the fat

The fact that there's a likelihood of Battle and Lydon not returning is absolutely terrifying.

and where the hell would they be going? Lydon seems like he likes it here so why would he transfer? is Battle talking of transferring? What is truly terrifying is the thought of Howard and Battle being the starting back court next year

I hate to say it, but why are we so sure TT is back? If he's truly a legit 6'10", kids like that with some athleticism and the ability to knock down jumpers aren't easy to find.

What skill does Battle possess that makes you think he could average 12 a game in the ACC? He goes 1-7 every game against a halfway decent opponent.
I remember, as a freshman, watching the freshman sherman douglas come in for a few minutes per game to spell Pearl Washington. And my friends and i were as amused as frightened by his ineptitude. Maybe he wasn't that bad, but in comparison, it seemed like we were in for a world of pain if he were to assume starting PG responsibilities. He did, and we weren't, and he was awesome. Battle is 10x as good as a freshman. Remember how bad Z Sims was for two and a half years?

I remember, as a freshman, watching the freshman sherman douglas come in for a few minutes per game to spell Pearl Washington. And my friends and i were as amused as frightened by his ineptitude. Maybe he wasn't that bad, but in comparison, it seemed like we were in for a world of pain if he were to assume starting PG responsibilities. He did, and we weren't, and he was awesome. Battle is 10x as good as a freshman. Remember how bad Z Sims was for two and a half years?
I remember sitting in the Meadowlands watching us crush Seton Hall (again) after Pearl and company did their jobs. In garbage time, JB put in the bench and this player came in, totally out of control, turning the ball over, etc. I remember turning to the people I was with and said, "I'm gonna hate this kid." As Zelda said above, that kid was The General. :rolleyes:

Sometimes, kids take time. Sometimes, they peak early. Sometimes late. Some work out, some don't. Fingers crossed on Frank, TT, and Tyus.

As a freshman, Douglas played 11.4 mpg and averaged 5.4 ppg and 2.1 apg while shooting over 61% from the field. We could use that kind of ineptitude this season.
Sherman Douglas College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The fact that there's a likelihood of Battle and Lydon not returning is absolutely terrifying.

For what it's worth, I heard Battle had no intention of thinking about leaving even before the season got rolling and this was part of the reason Quade changed his mind about coming here when he reached out to him.

I'd say this is even more definitively true now.

My personal opinion was that Quade wouldn't have been afraid of going anywhere based on what players he might have to compete with, but that was just what a little birdie told me.

Lydon will leave if he's a projected 1st rounder. The injury also probably scared the crap out of him. I'd be shocked if he's back but who knows.

One thing to think about with Battle is his father, Gary, is very involved in Tyus' life and decision-making. If Gary and Tyus think this is program is turning into a dumpster fire, a transfer is not out of the question. Gary will push Tyus to do whatever is in his best interests. I'm not saying that in a negative way whatsoever. Gary is awesome. I think Tyus will be back but this is not going as planned. This is a kid used to excelling on a very high level and he looks a little lost, like most of the team.

Lydon will leave if he's a projected 1st rounder. The injury also probably scared the crap out of him. I'd be shocked if he's back but who knows.

One thing to think about with Battle is his father, Gary, is very involved in Tyus' life and decision-making. If Gary and Tyus think this is program is turning into a dumpster fire, a transfer is not out of the question. Gary will push Tyus to do whatever is in his best interests. I'm not saying that in a negative way whatsoever. Gary is awesome. I think Tyus will be back but this is not going as planned. This is a kid used to excelling on a very high level and he looks a little lost, like most of the team.
Makes sense, but with Tyus do you think it's at least partially his foot that has been preventing him from being that offensive player (driving to the basket) we were expecting?

When I saw Trim the Fat I was thinking it was going to be a post about people on the message board.
I hope you're not trying to trim the Seattle contingent.
In all seriousness, the upperclassmen might be addition by subtraction next year. We need the five fingers one fist thing.

Makes sense, but with Tyus do you think it's at least partially his foot that has been preventing him from being that offensive player (driving to the basket) we were expecting?

Maybe the last few games, especially Georgetown, when he played after missing a week of practice. He was struggling before that (outside of his 3-point stroke). I think he's had a very tough time with how athletic other players are but I'm surprised by his lack of aggression. Tyus was all over the court in high school and attacked, attacked, attacked. I was one person on this board who said repeatedly he will shoot better than people were saying but I'm floored he's not playing above the rim and attacking off the bounce. His defense has been a bit disappointing too. I thought he'd be custom-made to play the top of the 2-3.

I still have a ton of faith him him that he will figure it out. Hope it happens soon, so he and his dad can feel better about things.

Last edited:
Maybe the last few games, especially Georgetown, when he played after missing a week of practice. He was struggling before that (outside of his 3-point stroke). I think he's had a very tough time with how athletic other players are but I'm surprised by his lack of aggression. Tyus was all over the court in high school and attacked, attacked, attacked. I was one person on this board who said repeatedly he will shoot better than people were saying but I'm floored he's not playing above the rim and attacking off the bounce. His defense has been a bit disappointing too. I thought he'd be custom-made to play the top of the 2-3.

I still have a ton of faith him him that he will figure it out. Hope it happens soon, so he and his can feel better about things,
OK, thanks. I guess I'm just wondering why he/Gary would have an issue w how he's being handled at SU (other than the team being terrible right now) - maybe feel he should be starting?

OK, thanks. I guess I'm just wondering why he/Gary would have an issue w how he's being handled at SU (other than the team being terrible right now) - maybe feel he should be starting?

I think they thought he'd be the focal point of the offense. It's been an underwhelming start for him here. He did start for that stretch before the foot issue. I'm not saying they're unhappy, just that this is obviously not going well and if it continues, Gary might have a talk with Tyus about what's best for him. We have a lot of season left for things to get better for Tyus.

For what it's worth, I heard Battle had no intention of thinking about leaving even before the season got rolling and this was part of the reason Quade changed his mind about coming here when he reached out to him.

I'd say this is even more definitively true now.

My personal opinion was that Quade wouldn't have been afraid of going anywhere based on what players he might have to compete with, but that was just what a little birdie told me.
That sounds like a BS cover. They don't even play the same position. But it sounds better than saying I'm holding out for a UK gig.

That was on good, winning teams. A 6th man from a 16-16 NIT team isn't the same as the others.

That's why Donte Greene went 28th. He was definitely a top 10 talent on a Sweet 16 or Final Four team.
Battle isn't going anywhere. This team is going to be lucky to win 6 games in the ACC.

If we have a losing record, Lydon won't stay in the first round.

That sounds like a BS cover. They don't even play the same position. But it sounds better than saying I'm holding out for a UK gig.

Well I also heard he reached out to Frank as well when he reached out to Tyus.

But yeah who can say?

If we have a losing record, Lydon won't stay in the first round.
Nonsense. Do you really believe that when the NBA is evaluating players, that would be a factor that carries any weight?

Nonsense. Do you really believe that when the NBA is evaluating players, that would be a factor that carries any weight?
I would think it would matter, somewhat, but yeah, Fultz. And last year, the LSU diva, without LSU making the NCAAs. But, it's possibly also true that those guys get a bit of a push because they came into their college careers highly-acclaimed.

I would think it would matter, somewhat, but yeah, Fultz. And last year, the LSU diva, without LSU making the NCAAs. But, it's possibly also true that those guys get a bit of a push because they came into their college careers highly-acclaimed.

Henry Ellenson last year as well went 18 as a frosh and Marquette didn't do anything of note.

That being said Battle ain't getting picked based on what he's shown this year so far. If you want to point to McCollough, he had a specific NBA skill that people were falling over (tall guy shooting 3s).

We still have the conference schedule. If he averages above 12 a game and plays well throughout the ACC, that'll undoubtedly open up draft potential. We can talk all we want about how he's not ready or what not, but we all know it doesn't matter in the end.

No shot. This class is loaded and Battle is not good enough.

Lydon should go. He'all likely be back end of the first round.

He's staring at another year in the zone and uncertainty at PG.

I think Moyer will be good. Got to have Battle and Frank get better.

I had the opposite experience although I only saw Sherman come in the Notre Dame game where we were getting clobbered. He looked quite good and the got us to within 5 IIRC before being pulled which we went on to lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom