Trip to San Diego | Syracusefan.com

Trip to San Diego

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
To visit our son , his wife and our new granddaughter. Airbnb prices are out of site or too far for even very mediocre places in his area, Del Mar -Carmel Valley. Does anyone have any tricks how to get the best price at a Marriott Residence Inn - there is one less than 4 minutes from his condo but staying 17-18 days will cost a mint unless we can get some type of discount for the extended stay. Is there a best price website for hotels that people know about etc? Thank you ahead of time for any help someone can give.

To visit our son , his wife and our new granddaughter. Airbnb prices are out of site or too far for even very mediocre places in his area, Del Mar -Carmel Valley. Does anyone have any tricks how to get the best price at a Marriott Residence Inn - there is one less than 4 minutes from his condo but staying 17-18 days will cost a mint unless we can get some type of discount for the extended stay. Is there a best price website for hotels that people know about etc? Thank you ahead of time for any help someone can give.
I don't have any tricks for the Marriott but I would try Priceline "name your price". There might be some other hotels available but you might have to widen your vicinity. Or you could always rent this for $70 a night and stay in his driveway.
Volkswagen Westfalia 30603717 - Campanda.com

I went cross country three years ago and I stayed at a Comfort Inn that was reasonable. Have a great time with the granddaughter

‘Hot Rate’ hotels on Hotwire works well too. You’re able to choose the general area of a city and * level of hotel. They reveal the specific hotel after you pay.

Just moved from SD to Tampa last year. Looks like places around Mission Valley are fairly reasonable on Priceline. Whatever the express deals are priced, you can usually chop 8-10% off that amount via the name your own price.

Second the Express Deals on Priceline. Usually something good available between 3-4*.

I just booked on VRBO (my Navy son getting married Jan 28)
Found a 2 bedroom for 130/night. Mission Hills. Looks very nice.
Saves you $$ on dining, so might work out

We found a nice place on VRBO , a 3 bedroom home in a gated community in east Carmel Valley for $135 a night but it was 20 minutes away from our son’s condo. Trying to get there around rush hour would take longer so we opted for a Hampton just a mile and a half away and got a discounted price of $130/day including breakfast and then negotiated free parking (couldn’t believe the quoted prices didn’t include on site parking unless you paid a $10/day additional fee). It has a microwave and refrigerator hopefully enough to save us at least some $ for meals. Thank you everyone for your help - by the way we found the best quoted prices for hotels on Trivago.

Glad you found a place
But def second tuttle’s rec on crack shack.
Some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever had

I've found San Diego to be impressively clean, and the climate of course is perfect all the time.

So I'm just saying, if you had to sleep on the street because the hotels are way too expensive, you could do a LOT worse.

I go there all the time for work. The key is getting the federal per diem rate. Lots of military, government and federal contractors in the area. You can get prime time hotel rooms in downtown San Diego for much cheaper.

I've found San Diego to be impressively clean, and the climate of course is perfect all the time.

So I'm just saying, if you had to sleep on the street because the hotels are way too expensive, you could do a LOT worse.

Funny you say that. Our son had told us that the city had a huge homeless problem (he lives north near Del Mar, Carmel Valley part of San Diego by his work) and that they had a big hepatitis problem. People urinating, defecating in the city streets etc so they advised against wearing sandals, flip flops and were bleaching the streets to combat the hepatitis issue. Really hurt our plans to sleep on the streets and forced us to seek shelter:p

San Diego Washing Streets With Bleach To Combat Hepatitis A Outbreak

I'm no Doctor, and I'm not even 100% sure what hepatitis is, but I think hepatitis A is like the mildest of all the hepatiti. I wouldn't worry much about it - leave those sandals and flip-flops home!! Go barefoot! You'll be fine!

Just book weeknights at the Residence Inn, weekends further out when traffic is light! :) haha

Glad you found a place!

Lived there for multiple years before moving last year and that is definitely not accurate. If you only stay around the fancy parts then it will appear that way but half of downtown and most of Ocean Beach and Mission Beach are pretty gross and filled with tent cities of homeless people. Was paying over $2200/month for a 1 bdrm downtown that was super nice and it wouldn't be that out of the norm to see a homeless person taking a dump while taking my dogs for their morning walk. That perfect climate makes it a perfect place to be homeless.

bumping this thread, as I have a work engagement coming up. I can either stay at the Omni, or the Manchester Grand. Any thoughts on which is better? Are there any issues I need to be aware of that would make me want to steer clear of 1 vs the other?

bumping this thread, as I have a work engagement coming up. I can either stay at the Omni, or the Manchester Grand. Any thoughts on which is better? Are there any issues I need to be aware of that would make me want to steer clear of 1 vs the other?

I lived there for a few years up until last year, I'd say that it depends what you are interested in. The Omni is directly next door to Petco Park so if the Padres are home then that is a few min walk. It's also right in the Gaslamp which is the tourist district where there are a ton of food/drink options.

The Manchester is in Seaport Village which is a little plaza with a few restaurants and things. Basically another, small tourist area. Don't think either will have any issues and they are pretty close to each other. I'd probably lean towards the Omni, especially if there is a ball game.

We are headed out on Friday.
First, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon.
SD for 2 days, then Julian for 3 for my son's wedding ceremony.
Can't wait.
So far: Valley of Fire, Zion, and the Grand Canyon, North rim, (Imperial Point and Cape Royal).
No words can convey what you see here. It is awe inspiring and humbling.