Trouble in Pedo St? | Syracusefan.com

Trouble in Pedo St?

Ky Je

Walk On
Looks like they have a little turmoil going on in rape valley . DC and OL coach both leave for lateral jobs, senior WR transfers, and their star QB declares early and mentions everyone down to the video dept but the HC, and a decommit or two(but those could've happened regardless of the coaching stuff). Hopefully we see a little more unraveling and potentially get some recruits/coaches that we wouldn't be in the talks for if this wasn't going on.

Looks like they have a little turmoil going on in rape valley . DC and OL coach both leave for lateral jobs, senior WR transfers, and their star QB declares early and mentions everyone down to the video dept but the HC, and a decommit or two(but those could've happened regardless of the coaching stuff). Hopefully we see a little more unraveling and potentially get some recruits/coaches that we wouldn't be in the talks for if this wasn't going on.
He won't be in (Un)Happy Valley for too long.
50-50 if he makes it past this coming season.
25 percent chance he makes it two more seasons.
Not a good head coach. Not a good fit, especially in that division.
They have some issues there that are not going away. And those actually have little to do with Jerry Sandusky.

Yea I can't seem him sticking around unless something drastic happens this season.

He won't be in (Un)Happy Valley for too long.
50-50 if he makes it past this coming season.
25 percent chance he makes it two more seasons.
Not a good head coach. Not a good fit, especially in that division.
They have some issues there that are not going away. And those actually have little to do with Jerry Sandusky.

Also, new AD, new President. They inherited the coach. Wait, that sounds familiar...

He's just not a good enough coach to compete with the Big 10 big boys. That said I love who he hired as his OC

They had one coach for 46 years and now they can't keep one?

That loss to Temple this year really riled up the fanbase... there were some pretty nasty tweets that came out after that from former players, some of which actually played for Franklin in recent years.

suloyalfan said:
That loss to Temple this year really riled up the fanbase... there were some pretty nasty tweets that came out after that from former players, some of which actually played for Franklin in recent years.

Correction. That wasn't a "loss to" Temple. That was a "domination by" Temple.

Is Franklin the problem? Or is Penn State so tainted now that they're done for the foreseeable future?

Its not a problem of Ped State being so tainted they can't succeed. If it was a problem of Ped State being tainted, it would affect recruiting more than anything else. As we have seen the last few years, good recruits SU would love to have keep going there, so that isn't it. Franklin is a douche and is full of himself after having a little bit of success at Vandy. He fancies himself a Saban that must have total control and is trying to put that over on the system and he doesn't have the street cred for kids, boosters or the program to buy in. On top of that, he isn't 1/10 the coach that saban is. So win-loss results are bad, the program sinks and the kids and boosters all hate him. They'll get a big hire for big money and be back at some point soon. They simply have too much money not to be. I hope not, as I hate them, but they will be back.

Franklin also lacks quality wins even with his great turn around at vandy, he only ended up going like 1-9 against top 25 teams. I don't believe hes won any in rape valley either, can't really hold that against him because of the sanctions.

Its not a problem of Ped State being so tainted they can't succeed. If it was a problem of Ped State being tainted, it would affect recruiting more than anything else. As we have seen the last few years, good recruits SU would love to have keep going there, so that isn't it. Franklin is a douche and is full of himself after having a little bit of success at Vandy. He fancies himself a Saban that must have total control and is trying to put that over on the system and he doesn't have the street cred for kids, boosters or the program to buy in. On top of that, he isn't 1/10 the coach that saban is. So win-loss results are bad, the program sinks and the kids and boosters all hate him. They'll get a big hire for big money and be back at some point soon. They simply have too much money not to be. I hope not, as I hate them, but they will be back.
They may get their big hire soon but they won't be back on top. Too much competition in B10. They won't be able to get above OSU, Mich, MSU, probably Wisky as well. Not to mention the SEC, Texas, USC, etc. PSU is an old NE power where the game has moved south and west. Pinstripe bowl or bust.

I would normally agree, but I don't see them beating Meyer at OSU, Harbaugh at Michigan, or Dantonio at Michigan State on a regular basis no matter what they do. That's 3 close to guaranteed division losses every year. Since the B1G is jumping to a 9 game schedule, they will have 3 cross division games. That means that they will play Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa about every other year. I think that they can expect to go 2-1 against the other division. That alone puts PSU in 4 loss territory, plus a What loss and/or a bowl loss. To put the What loss in perspective, they have one of VT, Pitt, and WVU on their schedule every year for the forseeabel future. All of those games are lose-able. And, they play Indiana, RU, and UMD in their division. They should win those, but occasionally one of those teams will pull an upset. Similarly, when PSU isn't playing Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin in the other division, they play Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota (with Purdue being the least often because of their protected game with Indiana). PSU should win those games, but to varying degrees, at least Minnesota and NW could pull an upset. NW has actually been pretty good lately. They beat Stanford last year. In the end, I would expect PSU to go 7-5 plus or minus a game way more years than not (with 7-5 being a popular number).

That's especially true if Pitt gets good and recruits western PA well.

It's going to be hard to keep things happy in Happy Valley with continued 7-5 seasons and a revolving door at HC. Joe could write things off as being old and "the cost of doing things the right way." I don't think that the next guy will be able to do that. Even with gobs of cash, they aren;t the coaching destination that they once were. PSU might have to wait for OSU/Michigan/MSU to stumble. That could be a while.