True PGs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

True PGs

People loved the Flynn teams because they could score, but we did lose to teams like Providence because we gave up 100 and the team refused to play defense. The year before they gave up like 111 to UMass.

when you say point guard i think of a player who's handle is strong enuf to negate any ball pressure and who looks to dish first rather than score . solid defense and good free throw shooting is almost a must.

The two I think of , post Pearl and Sherm. Pure PG's...Billy Edelin and Laz Sims.

My memory of Flynn. Oklahoma beating us in sweet 16. We are in the midst of a semi run climbing back in, Johnny tries a highlight reel dunk rather than easy two, misses, no run left. He had great moments here but he had a lot of me and I in his game

My memory of Flynn. Oklahoma beating us in sweet 16. We are in the midst of a semi run climbing back in, Johnny tries a highlight reel dunk rather than easy two, misses, no run left. He had great moments here but he had a lot of me and I in his game

I think this was part of the point that Cuseattle was trying to make above. Having nothing to do with whether Flynn left at the right time for his pro prospects, but whether if he had stayed he could have created a stronger college / Cuse legacy. When I think of the great guards we've had here Flynn is rarely one of the guys that immediately comes to my mind. I think Pearl, Sherm, Bing, GMac, Waiters, Hart and Autry maybe Moten (only because is he a guard or a forward). Rarely think of Flynn. I think guys that reach that "all time great" level have to either (i) be a part of great team accomplishments, (ii) stay long enough to accumulate great career stats or (iii) have professional success. I don't think Flynn did any of the three.

dion waiters in that grouping ? he was 6th man. devo or scoop ?

Last edited:
dion waiters in that grouping ? he was 6th man. devo or scoop ?

I included Waiters because he is one of our most successful professional guards, actually players. 8 NBA seasons and counting (assuming he recovers from the current injury). Also, both his Cuse teams were NCAA tournament teams. His sophomore season we went to the Elite 8.

You are right with Scoop, probably should have included him just based on him being a key contributor on two of the teams that people consider to be among our all time best. Plus his teams had a pretty good level of success ('09-'10 and '11-'12), albeit our two unluckiest teams ever. Starter on the 34-3 (Fab suspension) team and a key contributor on the 30-5 (Onuaku injury) team.

I was never a big fan of Devo. Personally I place him in the Flynn grouping. Very very good player, but not a guy I consider to be among our all time greats.

If Flynn had stayed one more year, he'd be talked about much more.
the year after he left was the best team we've ever had, imo. and it wouldn't have been nearly as good with flynn at the helm. i don't mean this as a knock on jonny, but the 2010 team was defense minded, with big guards at the top of the zone. and, fwiw, though he cannot be thought of as a point guard, andy rautins was that team's lead guard and he was fantastic in that role.

image.jpg
I really liked that team.

View attachment 122213 I really liked that team.
andy is my favorite orangeman ever. the journey he took - from a lightly regarded & underrecruited prospect whom many thought was given a scholarship just as a favor to his dad . . . to a solid rotation player by his 2nd year . . . to a devastating injury and inspiring comeback, to a key leader on one of the best squads in school history.

he had a true shooting percentage of .637 his senior year. we have rarely had big men reach that mark and i don't think another guard has ever done so.