Trunk Monkey returns for 18-19 | Syracusefan.com

Trunk Monkey returns for 18-19

Orangezoo

In the wind
One thing that will be nice is we should definitely have the horses to press again ( and not token pressure ) this year. Yes it is not used a lot but we have the depth, experience and team athleticism to do it. It has always been something that is worth a win or three when it's solid which can go a long ways towards seeding come tourney time.

You have several combinations even you could use at forward due to how well our guys move and bball iq defensively. MD is our best pressing forward in my opinion but I like OB and Hughes in that role too. Either way the trunk monkey should be able to dust off his jersey and be ready to go once again.

One of the nice things about that 2012 team that went 34-3 was that they really got after it defensively.

We had tremendous depth, Boeheim used it, guys had fresh legs, and we forced a TON of turnovers. Even though that team wasn't a "great" halfcourt offensive team, they made up for it by generating easy buckets in transition as a function of turnovers.

Next year's team won't be quite as deep [especially at forward], but barring injury, we should play 8 guys who are all experienced [other than Carey] every game. I'd expect our shot blocking to improve with a healthy Sidibe, and that our centers will benefit from not having to play such an extensive workload next year.

Last edited:
One of the nice things about that 2012 team that went 34-3 was that they really got after it defensively.

I was also thinking about the potential this team has to make itself into one of Boeheim's best defensive teams, if not actually the best defensive team ever.

It takes incoming freshmen a while to get a good feel for how Boeheim's zone is supposed to work, and they seem to learn their lessons well last season. By tournament time, you could see they finally understood the effort it takes to make any kind of defense an elite weapon.

Their memories of that run are fresh in their minds and I wouldn't be the least surprised to see them set some very ambitious goals for themselves on the defensive end. It's not at all unreasonable to expect to see Pascal improve and Sidibe's absolutely going to be better if he can play without pain.

OZoo's comments re: the press are also right on. JB's combination of Pressure Zone + helter-skelter press are brilliantly conceived and have won many big games along the way.

JB learned long ago that you can't hope to win national championships these days unless you can put a team on the floor that can play defense on an elite level. With the length AND the experience of this team, it's all looking very hopeful.

I was also thinking that Buddy Boeheim should be fully aware that the best way to get his sharpshooting skills on the court for extended periods of time is be becoming a defensive force at the top of the zone. It worked for Cooney; it'll be interesting to see if Buddy will surprise everybody by showing that he is as good a defensive player as he is a 3-pt. marksman... :)

if nothing else I can predict w confidence we'll definitely be shutting down a bunch of teams - quite a nice thing to fall back on

MSM-TTM-2.jpg

I know everybody loves a pressing, 10-deep style, but in my view, pressing is a low-probability strategy when you have the halfcourt defensive ability we should have next year. It’s like pulling your goalie in hockey (go Caps!). You can get easy baskets, but you give up some easy baskets when that should rarely be the case in the halfcourt. It’s helpful to be able to press so you can do it when you’re behind at the end, though we’re going to ride the zone otherwise.

I know everybody loves a pressing, 10-deep style, but in my view, pressing is a low-probability strategy when you have the halfcourt defensive ability we should have next year. It’s like pulling your goalie in hockey (go Caps!). You can get easy baskets, but you give up some easy baskets when that should rarely be the case in the halfcourt. It’s helpful to be able to press so you can do it when you’re behind at the end, though we’re going to ride the zone otherwise.

I agree with this for next years squad which should bring back the "shut it down" days. We will see some press in exhibitions and against cupcakes early so they get practice in game situations. In meaningful games it will only be situational or in despiratation. The real advantage to depth when you have a smothering halfcourt defense is that the guys can get after it all game if they get regular rest. I expect to see consistently higher energy levels on D if the centers stay healthy and the depth pans out.

I like the idea of full court pressure to eat a few more seconds off the clock, so long as the guards can get back into position.

When it comes to depth and real depth as we will have this year as it stands is both what has been mentioned regarding rest and the potential to press but also something else. That is the seven starters mindset that was so integrated into the character of our teams from 2010-2013. We should have that this year and that allows JB to pull guys for them to watch and then go back in while the guys coming in more than hold serve. Carey in the Waiters role would be awesome to have as would Hughes in the Kris Joseph role.

We're not going to have a full-court press like JB's playing days. But with depth, length and experience, we should be able to exert more defensive pressure and run more than we have. You can set up up a token press, make it harder for them to get past the 10 second line and into their offense and use some traps, play the passing lanes, etc. and get back into base defesne. . That's not the equivalent of taking the goalie out. Teams do it to us all the time.

That 2012 team was the last SU to play that way and that was a fun and exciting year. Oh, and we went. 34-3. I'd like to do that again.

We shouldn't expect to see a press as a proactive strategy. JB has rarely used it like that. Where the depth should really help is allowing us to maintain intensity in the halfcourt and to have enough energy to press in a comeback situation without being gassed those last few minutes. I hope we see 8 guys getting double digit minutes this year.

There is no need for Trunk Monkey when you are ahead in the closing minutes of the game. It's my belief that we will not find ourselves in that position with the personnel we are going to have next season. It's going to be a fun season to watch unfold.

What I recall from those great teams several years ago was that Boeheim would use a substitution pattern starting sometime in the first half consisting of 2 of Jardine, Joseph and Waiters (depending on which of those 2 seasons) . Few teams in America could match that with their own subbing, so SU would go on a customary run or 2 to put it away. It's still unclear if next year's 6/7 (or whatever) will be top notch like that. But like others have suggested, if someone (Hughes?) can be part of that shot in the arm, it'll be fun times again.

We shouldn't expect to see a press as a proactive strategy. JB has rarely used it like that. Where the depth should really help is allowing us to maintain intensity in the halfcourt and to have enough energy to press in a comeback situation without being gassed those last few minutes. I hope we see 8 guys getting double digit minutes this year.

I know that proactively pressing has not been JB's strategy, but why doesn't he? Amazing comebacks and barely holding onto wins after blowing big leads seem to be our MO, but let's press proactively. Let's press randomly and often. Let's build leads. Let's wear out the other team. We already get a lot of turnovers. Let's get more. We can run this year. We have bodies. I understand we cannot press like Lville and WVU all game, but let's use the press at a time other than being down by 7-15 points.

[QUOTE="SWC75, post: 2608976, member: 289]But with depth, length and experience, we should be able to exert more defensive pressure and run more than we have. You can set up up a token press, make it harder for them to get past the 10 second line and into their offense and use some traps, play the passing lanes, etc. and get back into base defesne. . That's not the equivalent of taking the goalie out. Teams do it to us all the time.

That 2012 team was the last SU to play that way and that was a fun and exciting year. Oh, and we went. 34-3. I'd like to do that again.[/QUOTE]

Was that the team with the two lottery picks and league defensive player of the year Fab Melo? I think we’ll just stick with the zone.

[QUOTE="SWC75, post: 2608976, member: 289]But with depth, length and experience, we should be able to exert more defensive pressure and run more than we have. You can set up up a token press, make it harder for them to get past the 10 second line and into their offense and use some traps, play the passing lanes, etc. and get back into base defesne. . That's not the equivalent of taking the goalie out. Teams do it to us all the time.

That 2012 team was the last SU to play that way and that was a fun and exciting year. Oh, and we went. 34-3. I'd like to do that again.

Was that the team with the two lottery picks and league defensive player of the year Fab Melo? I think we’ll just stick with the zone.[/QUOTE]

We could have two lottery picks and the DPOY on this team, too.

I know that proactively pressing has not been JB's strategy, but why doesn't he? Amazing comebacks and barely holding onto wins after blowing big leads seem to be our MO, but let's press proactively. Let's press randomly and often. Let's build leads. Let's wear out the other team. We already get a lot of turnovers. Let's get more. We can run this year. We have bodies. I understand we cannot press like Lville and WVU all game, but let's use the press at a time other than being down by 7-15 points.
I don't know. A lot of respected coaches like to change things up. JB does not. My previous post was not agreeing or disagreeing with the strategy, just pointing out realistic expectations.

[QUOTE="SWC75, post: 2608976, member: 289]But with depth, length and experience, we second line and into their offense and use some traps, play the passing lanes, etc. and get back into base defesne. . That's not the equivalent of taking the goalie out. Teams do it to us all the time.

we didn’t do that in 2011-12. Trunk monkey has always been an all-or-nothing panic press with a goalie that sometimes gets caught out of position. Only difference that year (and in most years really) is that we sometimes use it proactively against overmatched competition.

I don't know. A lot of respected coaches like to change things up. JB does not. My previous post was not agreeing or disagreeing with the strategy, just pointing out realistic expectations.
I know. JB is set in his ways. I am not knocking you or JB. I believe we have the boys this year to be more proactive. I think it throws off other teams most of the time and stops other team's runs. It would be nice to get a lead and keep a lead for once

I know. JB is set in his ways. I am not knocking you or JB. I believe we have the boys this year to be more proactive. I think it throws off other teams most of the time and stops other team's runs. It would be nice to get a lead and keep a lead for once
Personnaly, I like the idea of changing things up, even if it's only for a couple possessions. I think that, mentally, it doesn't allow teams to get into as much of a comfort zone. I also like the idea of using soft 3/4 court defense to force the other team to use clock, like Duke did against us. We've seen how the defense can foce shot clock violations when it's on. It seems like that could be enhanced, if teams have to burn clock before they get into their offense.

+1. With the bodies this year, why not put them to use? More pressing, and more fast breaking. I'd rather see that against a Duke team that has 4 top 10 recruits on the court than what we have been seeing, which I dont think will end well.

BTW SWC, I didnt realize that it was you who came up with Trunk Monkey(tm). I now think you beat out OttoInGrotto as the true arbiter of nicknames. ;)

I like the idea of full court pressure to eat a few more seconds off the clock, so long as the guards can get back into position.

Depends on what press they use . They have two basic systems ...the controlled aggression where they keep the center with feet planted in the lane ...

The other...bedlam style where nobody is back ... and it’s basically two points if it gets over half court

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom