Truth: Jesse is one of the main reasons we win and lose games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Truth: Jesse is one of the main reasons we win and lose games

This is a fan forum, but not sure why it makes so many feel so good to access or cast such harm blame. We all do it, myself (at times) included.

There is an inherent conflict in having one's own family on a team. Everyone knew this and gets it, including JAB. But some of the dissection of JAB's postgame pressers is just over the top. Some chide him for saying nothing or little ("we need to make more shots"), while others ridicule him as they count player references for the purpose of blame (Jesse got mentioned three times, Buddy one ...).

What do we expect him to really say? It is difficult for any person/father/coach to heavily critique his own blood. I do know this ... SU has greatly benefitted from having both Buddy, and now JBIII, around and headlining the team. I have never heard that it bothers the other players. I doubt that Quadary left for the swamps of NJ because JAB heaped unending praise on Buddy last spring. Everyone has good games. And some bad too. We could say that about any SU player the last 50+ years, with one exception: Carmelo.

We, as a forum grouping, should do our best to resist what is evidently an urge to make the Boeheim family a foundational piece of every SU hoops storyline. It is exhausting.

I expect him to treat all players fairly, blood or not. In fact, if he were to fault one way or the other, I’d expect him to be harder on his own kids.

I don’t think JB is in some lair and scheming up his post-game pressers, but he says what he says and it’s easy for us on this fan forum to wave it away, but we aren’t the target of coach’s public scorn over and over again. People get sensitive here about others critiquing their fan forum posts but we expect these kids to be fine with JB hammering them in the media, and lots of times unfairly or at least unbalanced in his criticisms.

So, yes, I expect JB to do better.

Benny can take a lot of James' minutes and probably the starting job if he can get clear and focused on his game.
He can, hopefully, but we won’t see it

No, what I said is it isn't a major concern, his percentage is indeed high but he has missed a couple pretty wide open dunks and easy layups. I also said it can happen to the best of them so I am not to worried about his offense. I do think he still has a chance to improve even more-like catching the ball a bit more cleanly and being able to go straight up with it.

As far as defense goes I am saying more about his leaving his feet on literally every single fake. That is what Georgetown also figured out and is why they were able to go small and just duck under him. They got him off his feet, went under or around him for an easy basket.

This post wasn't about anyone else on the team, there is plenty of criticism one can levy on each of them. It is about Jesse and how he can almost single-handedly be the reason we both win and lose games. His improvement has been nothing short of astonishing, and yet there is clearly a higher ceiling for him. I am excited to see him once he gets it all together, he is going to be almost unstoppable. He has the opportunity to literally be better than all the rest. We should want and expect this from our players. Records were made to be broken and there is no reason Jesse can't break a few of these. If you don't see this and are unable to be excited about his ultimate potential than okay, accept him for what he is now so your feelings don't get hurt.
Jesse misses these inside layups because he isn't strong enough to finish when bumped. And yes, Georgetown was physical with him especially in the 2nd half and bumped him a lot. Hey, that's Georgetown. UNC, Duke, Louisville will do it also. And a lot of these "fouls" don't get called depending on how much the refs are allowing. And in the 2nd half of this game they were allowing GT to be very physical with a lot of bumping. On our end our guys tend to hack with their arms, which gets called, rather than bump with their thighs and butt.

Jesse misses these inside layups because he isn't strong enough to finish when bumped. And yes, Georgetown was physical with him especially in the 2nd half and bumped him a lot. Hey, that's Georgetown. UNC, Duke, Louisville will do it also. And a lot of these "fouls" don't get called depending on how much the refs are allowing. And in the 2nd half of this game they were allowing GT to be very physical with a lot of bumping. On our end our guys tend to hack with their arms, which gets called, rather than bump with their thighs and butt.
I mean if Jesse wasn't missing some bunnies his shooting percentage would be 100%.

Records were made to be broken and there is no reason Jesse can't break a few of these. If you don't see this and are unable to be excited about his ultimate potential than okay, accept him for what he is now so your feelings don't get hurt.

HUH? What in any of my posting history suggests that I don't see Jessie's upside? How in the world did you get that from my post? I've been one of the biggest supporters of this kid for the last 2 years. I think he's the best player on the team right now.

Just a theory and I have no idea if true, but what if JB’s scorn is directed depending on actual physical capabilities. eg. he knows Jesse is capable of doing better and he also knows Jimmy is not. Whether or not Jimmy should play so much is another issue
Agreed, why get mad at someone trying their best even when its insufficient. It's the best they can do. When someone isn't reaching their potential you light the fire under them. You don't get mad at a B student when they are putting in effort to get that B. You get mad at the B student who isn't trying and should be getting an A.

Honest question... for those of you who have a son... would you send him to Syracuse to play if he had the talent? While I have tremendous respect for what Jim has accomplished, no way would I send him to play under Jim. It's too much of a gamble. He could emerge into one of the chosen or get berated in public after losses. No thanks.

Honest question... for those of you who have a son... would you send him to Syracuse to play if he had the talent? While I have tremendous respect for what Jim has accomplished, no way would I send him to play under Jim. It's too much of a gamble. He could emerge into one of the chosen or get berated in public after losses. No thanks.
You would have a moron of a son if he allowed you to choose for him where he would go to college and live out his life and dreams.

My son, 16, says all the time that he wouldn’t go to SU if he was a D1 player. He doesn’t like how we play and he wants to be in a warm weather city.

My son, 16, says all the time that he wouldn’t go to SU if he was a D1 player. He doesn’t like how we play and he wants to be in a warm weather city.
Well, if your son said he wants to go to Syracuse and play in front of 30 thousand people and be an Orange, what would you tell him? What if he said that he knows Boeheim can be hard on players, but he wants that challenge and he can take it. You see, I would have to believe any player going to Syracuse is already aware of all these things and still wants to play there. It not some secret. Some young people even join the Marine Corps, i don't think they believe it will be a picnic, but they do it.

Not a chance.

well duh

fa103306f936bba1-822x617.png

I mean, if he's gonna play 30 minutes no matter what, heck yes.

Well, if your son said he wants to go to Syracuse and play in front of 30 thousand people and be an Orange, what would you tell him? What if he said that he knows Boeheim can be hard on players, but he wants that challenge and he can take it. You see, I would have to believe any player going to Syracuse is already aware of all these things and still wants to play there. It not some secret. Some young people even join the Marine Corps, i don't think they believe it will be a picnic, but they do it.
We would lay out the pros and cons of the program and then I would support his decision.

I don’t think we get a true sense for the relationships the players have with coach. I hate the negativity he can display at times but he may be amazing with the players behind the scenes and that’s what matters most in my opinion.

We would lay out the pros and cons of the program and then I would support his decision.

I don’t think we get a true sense for the relationships the players have with coach. I hate the negativity he can display at times but he may be amazing with the players behind the scenes and that’s what matters most in my opinion.
I would also think the assistant coaches would have left if he was the total jerk that people on here want to portray him as. This constant line of attack makes the assistant coaches look like stooges.

Jesse has been our best all around player. He can’t be expected to cover the while back court by himself, block shots and rebound. We need help from the forwards and guards on rebounding, stopping the entry pass and covering the corners.

Think we need to keep Benny, Joe G, Sy, maybe Swider but go hard after a few portal guys to mix in with Frosh. A stud power forward 6’9” athlete and a stud 2 guard a Tyus Battle type. Let the freshman come off bench and earn minutes.

Jesse has been our best all around player. He can’t be expected to cover the while back court by himself, block shots and rebound. We need help from the forwards and guards on rebounding, stopping the entry pass and covering the corners.

He’s not.

He’s not.

Our best player?
Or being asked to do pretty much everything on D?

Football players always say stuff like
“well, I just had to do my 1/11th, and trust my teammates to do theirs”.

Jesse’s version would be
“well, I just had to do my 5/5ths, and trust my teammates to… stand there and watch me.” :p

I mean, if he's gonna play 30 minutes no matter what, heck yes.
I gotcha man, but obviously you don't know that going into it. That's the point. You know some will get the Boeheim doghouse treatment, others will get a pass, and some will just sit.

Our best player?
Or being asked to do pretty much everything on D?

Football players always say stuff like
“well, I just had to do my 1/11th, and trust my teammates to do theirs”.

Jesse’s version would be
“well, I just had to do my 5/5ths, and trust my teammates to… stand there and watch me.” :p

The part of what’s expected of him. His responsibility is not to get to the corner 3 all the time. But he is sometimes and the weak side forward would backfill and slide into the 5 spot. This isn’t the first year we’ve done this. Marek had to do the same last year. It depends on the rotation at the time which is driven by the offense. That’s what JB was referencing in the beginning of the gtown presser and what they had worked on in practice and tweaked for gtown.

The part of what’s expected of him. His responsibility is not to get to the corner 3 all the time. But he is sometimes and the weak side forward would backfill and slide into the 5 spot. This isn’t the first year we’ve done this. Marek had to do the same last year. It depends on the rotation at the time which is driven by the offense. That’s what JB was referencing in the beginning of the gtown presser and what they had worked on in practice and tweaked for gtown.
Fair enough. But just curious, what would you say that Boeheim has said about what Buddy could do better this year? And for 5 bucks, I'll through in Jimmy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom