Truth: Jesse is one of the main reasons we win and lose games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Truth: Jesse is one of the main reasons we win and lose games

The part of what’s expected of him. His responsibility is not to get to the corner 3 all the time. But he is sometimes and the weak side forward would backfill and slide into the 5 spot. This isn’t the first year we’ve done this. Marek had to do the same last year. It depends on the rotation at the time which is driven by the offense. That’s what JB was referencing in the beginning of the gtown presser and what they had worked on in practice and tweaked for gtown.
Marek had better defenders on the front line last year, even considering crazy AG. That’s the difference.

Fair enough. But just curious, what would you say that Boeheim has said about what Buddy could do better this year? And for 5 bucks, I'll through in Jimmy.

Not enough.

How do I get my $5?

Marek had better defenders on the front line last year, even considering crazy AG. That’s the difference.

Ok?

Jesse is the biggest reason we are respectable. He’s a force on both ends, and is actually a physical advantage at his position.

He had a bad game against Villanova because their 27 year olds that bench press 350 were all pushing him and hacking him and getting away with it. But otherwise he’s been good-great.

If we had a “Jesse Edwards” in comparison to the competition at every position(meaning a good two way player that’s got some physical advantages over the opponent) we’d be 8-2, maybe 9-1.

Man. You’re seriously getting boring rick

How do you want me to respond to your post that made no sense as to what I said?

I was trying to illustrate that the responsibilities of our center have to adjust to the players around him. Jesse is asked to do more this year because the guys next to him do less.

It’s all based on rotations and has been for a few years when JB started pushing the forwards up more. As to last year Jesse isn’t doing it anymore this year than Marek did last year getting out to the corner.

Jesse is the biggest reason we are respectable. He’s a force on both ends, and is actually a physical advantage at his position.

He had a bad game against Villanova because their 27 year olds that bench press 350 were all pushing him and hacking him and getting away with it. But otherwise he’s been good-great.

If we had a “Jesse Edwards” in comparison to the competition at every position(meaning a good two way player that’s got some physical advantages over the opponent) we’d be 8-2, maybe 9-1.
DW, whenever I've watched BigEast teams play OOC early in the season, the games are always officiated in their favor. I think it's their plan to game the conference strength ranking to get more teams in the NCAAT. When they get into the NCAAT, their teams flop because those games are more fairly officiated. That's the same reason Syracuse does better in the NCAAT.

Great post.

Honest question... for those of you who have a son... would you send him to Syracuse to play if he had the talent? While I have tremendous respect for what Jim has accomplished, no way would I send him to play under Jim. It's too much of a gamble. He could emerge into one of the chosen or get berated in public after losses. No thanks.

This is sorta nuts. If he had the talent why not? IF my kid could score it, JB would give him the ball over and over (sadly my kid is a role player).

DW, whenever I've watched BigEast teams play OOC early in the season, the games are always officiated in their favor. I think it's their plan to game the conference strength ranking to get more teams in the NCAAT. When they get into the NCAAT, their teams flop because those games are more fairly officiated. That's the same reason Syracuse does better in the NCAAT.
And that's why I don't think those 2 loses against Nova and Gtown are a sign of this teams status. I don't actually see any reason to play OBE teams, them and their conference is still grinding the ax for Syracuse and will resort to anything to beat them.

If I made a list of players that need to be better (relative to...ceiling, consistency, expectations, role for this specific team, etc.), Jesse would not be top 5.

Best all around player on our team to this point.

It’s all based on rotations and has been for a few years when JB started pushing the forwards up more. As to last year Jesse isn’t doing it anymore this year than Marek did last year getting out to the corner.
And this is just going to get worse. As we push the guards further out to defend the 3, the forwards have to come up to cover the space. This forces the center to cover the corner and the weak side forward to slide down toward the middle. It takes a lot of communication and practice before this becomes fluid, especially when your entire front line is new.

When I consider of he is one of the top 5 players that need improvement I am torn. I could argue he is the number one most important player to improve that one aspect of his game-staying on his feet instead of biting on every fake. His overall game is light years ahead of where it was last year and he is one of the best players on the team. I could conversely argue that there are easily 5 other players on the team that need to improve more, for their improvement would mean Jesse wouldn't have to improve quite as much.

Overall, the entire team has room to improve but there is no reason to believe they won't continue to improve. They have already come a long ways, and the tougher schedule helps them, but hurts their record. There are games they could have won but didn't and games they could have lost but didn't. I firmly believe Jesse is the main reason we have had as much success as we have, he is the seasons MVP so far. But his weaknesses have also been exploited, and teams have taken advantage to the point they outscore us tremendously in the paint allowing them to win, especially when our shooters are cold.

I disagree

When Sid got hurt in the first game last year it was him running out and jumping at the corner 3. Below is also just one post from 2 years ago about Marek. This year isn’t something new.

FC7DDF0A-D091-444F-9FA5-F97D7A4F8E72.jpeg

When Sid got hurt in the first game last year it was him running out and jumping at the corner 3. Below is also just one post from 2 years ago about Marek. This year isn’t something new.

View attachment 211918

Asking the C to cover the corner 3 was STOOOOPID then, and it is STOOOOOPID now.

We used to have long, athletic forwards who could make the rotations needed to help up towards the backcourt, yet still be quick and long enough to contest the corner 3 also.

Now we have 4 trees, rooted into the hardwood, and Jesse is being asked to pick up all the slack.

It's really bizarre that you're choosing to die on this hill.

Not every last thing JB does is the best possible or entirely correct strategy.
He's fallible, just like any other person or coach.

Did AO cover the corner 3?
RickJack?
Fab?
Rak?

No, no, no, and no.

We kept our BIG man in the middle, where he could protect the rim. And rebound.
Rather than sending him scurrying out to the corner, flying out of bounds, and completely gutting our D and opening up the hoop for O-Rebs and easy putbacks.

Asking the C to cover the corner 3 was STOOOOPID then, and it is STOOOOOPID now.

We used to have long, athletic forwards who could make the rotations needed to help up towards the backcourt, yet still be quick and long enough to contest the corner 3 also.

Now we have 4 trees, rooted into the hardwood, and Jesse is being asked to pick up all the slack.

RickJack?
Fab?
Rak?

No, no, no, and no.

Rather than sending him scurrying out to the corner, flying out of bounds, and completely gutting our D and opening up the hoop for O-Rebs and easy putbacks.

I'll add that you only need your center to cover the corner three if other guys are out of position, or aren't athletic enough to follow the ball as it swings around, necessitating the C making up for the opposing player being open.*

* Or, if you're playing a 1-3-1 with a group of slow / unathletic forward, and the baselines are completely wide open.

RickJack?
Fab?
Rak?

No, no, no, and no.

How did you turn it into dying on a hill? Go read my first comment on the subject. All facts. Not a single opinion because my opinion, nor yours matters.

Jesse is the best player to have played for Syracuse since Carmelo. IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom