trying to see a silver lining | Syracusefan.com

trying to see a silver lining

kingtidge

All American
having a hard time...

as coaching carousel goes...
  • this happened at a terrible time
  • we hired our DC for continuity
  • our OC left after reports were he was staying and our next two most important recruiters are now gone... continuity has left as well
  • our small but important recruiting class is on very loose footing
  • we just lost the 100% committed blue chip best QB recruit we've had since McNabb
Hopefully something can be done to save our recruiting class and our TBD new coaching hires will breathe optimism into the way forward.
I liked Shafer's presser, but talk is talk.
He has his work cutout for him picking up the pieces...

having a hard time...

• our OC left after reports were he was staying and our next two most important recruiters are now gone... continuity has left as well
  • we just lost the 100% committed blue chip best QB recruit we've had since McNabb
Hopefully something can be done to save our recruiting class and our TBD new coaching hires will breathe optimism into the way forward.
His talk is more than talk, his defense performed... continuity is more than the assistant coaches if Shafer is talking about keeping the same systems and culture I think everyone needs to remember 4 years ago we had small class and got rid of a lot of players I do not believe anyone sees that happening, the problem in our instant gratification 24 hour news social media society is everyone wants everything done yesterday this along with a University that is awful at public relations. We need to be patient

having a hard time...

Thanks - the board needed another thread stating the same thing as the 2o threads on this subject posted over the past 4 days.

I'm not so sure that Adkins wasn't our best recruiter and if he stays that would certainly ease the transition. ZA may be the highest ranked qb since McNabb, not sure but you could be right. Yes, the timing was bad, really bad.

Talk is talk and it's also cheap and easy to do. I enjoyed SS's press conference and passion while that said my hope and the read I have is that we have a good man at the helm for the football team that we root for. He has been punched in the nose but from what I've heard it's a damn hard nose so he can take it. I have a habit of looking around the dome during games and watching staff/players when others are looking at the ball to see how they handle adversity and I know this isn't some scientific proven study but you see what a coach has, especially when things go wrong and I've watched SS and he keeps his cool. We saw passion but when things are happening you need the guy at the helm to in charge and not losing it...I think we have that in HCSS.

It is a step or two back, no doubt. What is really going to matter is how the team responds and not only that what staff he puts together and how they respond to failure, to many other things like recruiting/teaching/motivating and so on. Like SS said, we want people that want to be here and if he does hire a staff that wants to be here along with any of those who stay, I think we will have a lot of good things happen to Syracuse University football.

But that's just my talk and opinion. I will back it up by going to the games, supporting the team, showing up before they come out of the tunnel and being as loud as I can when the other team has the ball.

having a hard time...

All depends on the OC and offensive staff he brings in. If the OC is top notch, SU is ok. If he's a head-scratcher, the program could be set back years. That is why, IMHO, they said they would be taking their time with this one.

We hired our DC because he was the best man available for the job in the opinion of those that matter at Syracuse... Plain and simple
Allen was a 3 star qb prospect.. as was AROB and Johnny Miller... I love how Allen has/had acheived Johnny Manziel type hype.. I am sure he is a good prospect but please.

Has Shafer's defense at Syracuse not been staisfactory for you?? Like I said he has earned it, sure his defense has had some issues but again, the defense has been solid from day one since he got here, consistency will help

All depends on the OC and offensive staff he brings in. If the OC is top notch, SU is ok. If he's a head-scratcher, the program could be set back years. That is why, IMHO, they said they would be taking their time with this one.

Hackett was a QC guy before he got here. Deloene and up and comer, GROB's all had luggage or no experience. Marrone ran trhe show at OC for the most part until this year really. Syracuse will either hire experience with some luggage or a few belmishes or up and comer with lack of experience, people will bitch regardless. I don't quite know what world people live in when it comes to Syracuse football, many posters here should be writing bigger checks to the program with the expectations

I believe Coach Jagz would be the best hire I have seen mentioned. Who knows? But you will either have luggage or lack of experience, trust me on that

Hackett was a QC guy before he got here. Deloene and up and comer, GROB's all had luggage or no experience. Marrone ran trhe show at OC for the most part until this year really. Syracuse will either hire experience with some luggage or a few belmishes or up and comer with lack of experience, people will bitch regardless. I don't quite know what world people live in when it comes to Syracuse football, many posters here should be writing bigger checks to the program with the expectations

I believe Coach Jagz would be the best hire I have seen mentioned. Who knows? But you will either have luggage or lack of experience, trust me on that
What luggage does Jagz have? The only blemish I know of, and it's not a blemish, is that he wanted to talk about an NFL job and his AD, stupidly, had a cow.

What luggage does Jagz have? The only blemish I know of, and it's not a blemish, is that he wanted to talk about an NFL job and his AD, stupidly, had a cow.

Very little, that is why I think he is the best that has been mentioned, I just don't know if he is even an option. You could do a lot worse than Reagan too but my point has been I highly doubt the OC will be a name that is even mentioned... It will be someone that Shafer is familair with and trusts

Very little, that is why I think he is the best that has been mentioned, I just don't know if he is even an option. You could do a lot worse than Reagan too but my point has been I highly doubt the OC will be a name that is even mentioned... It will be someone that Shafer is familair with and trusts
Well, in my opinion, that would go under the heading of "head-scratcher."

Or will be a guy that is recommended by a guy that Shafer absolutely trusts.

We hired our DC because he was the best man available for the job in the opinion of those that matter at Syracuse... Plain and simple
Allen was a 3 star qb prospect.. as was AROB and Johnny Miller... I love how Allen has/had acheived Johnny Manziel type hype.. I am sure he is a good prospect but please.
I like how people forget that Perry Patterson was, if I remember correctly, a four star prospect.

Has Shafer's defense at Syracuse not been staisfactory for you?? Like I said he has earned it, sure his defense has had some issues but again, the defense has been solid from day one since he got here, consistency will help

Anyone paying attention knows that Allen was more highly regarded than his 3 star meaningless scout rating indicated. Does that mean he was underhyped? Perhaps. Is it a guarantee he's a can't miss prospect? Certainly not. Fact is we need a decent QB recruit and some RB's in this class. Plain and simple.

I don't think Shafer is a bad hire and do think he earned it.

My gripe is more that Shafer was presented as the 'continuity' guy... and it looks like the staff is being blown-up, starting fresh and that we'll be lucky to retain any of the key recruits from this class. Not all that unexpected really.

In other words,the continuity presentation is a ruse... and our needs for a QB and decent RB prospects may go unfulfilled this year.

I am not all that surprised. It's what happens when coaches leave... they take key guys with them. It almost seemed to good to be true that this was not going to happen and we'd keep Allen and other recruits.

I bought the bait and am disappointed... such is life...

Anyone paying attention knows that Allen was more highly regarded than his 3 star meaningless scout rating indicated. Does that mean he was underhyped? Perhaps. Is it a guarantee he's a can't miss prospect? Certainly not. Fact is we need a decent QB recruit and some RB's in this class. Plain and simple.

I don't think Shafer is a bad hire and do think he earned it.

My gripe is more that Shafer was presented as the 'continuity' guy... and it looks like the staff is being blown-up, starting fresh and that we'll be lucky to retain any of the key recruits from this class. Not all that unexpected really.

In other words,the continuity presentation is a ruse... and our needs for a QB and decent RB prospects may go unfulfilled this year.

I am not all that surprised. It's what happens when coaches leave... they take key guys with them. It almost seemed to good to be true that this was not going to happen and we'd keep Allen and other recruits.

I bought the bait and am disappointed... such is life...

The choice was this:

1. Hire from the outside. Start fresh across the board. At a late date with few options.

2. Hire from within. Start with some of the staff intact (I think they thought they'd have more than they ended up with - Hackett for starters). Salvage as much as possible with this years recruiting class.

Option 2 will always have a higher level of continuity, even if its less than we thought or were led to believe.