Tucker and the Offensive Gameplan | Syracusefan.com

Tucker and the Offensive Gameplan

shandeezy7

Living Legend
Curious about Sean's usage in this offense. Through the first 6 games, he was averaging 21 carries for 107 yards per game on 5.2 ypc. In the five game losing streak, he's averaging 12 carries for 58 yards per game on 4.8 ypc. The YPC remains similar but the touches have just plummeted. I don't understand how our experienced OC isn't making it a point to get the best player on the field more involved in the offense (and not just running him up the gut straight into defensive lineman). You can say that he's banged up, but he's still on the field for 80+% of our offensive snaps and he just ran for 106 yards and 2 TD's on 6.6 YPC (only 16 carries). Get him the ball more, please.

Curious about Sean's usage in this offense. Through the first 6 games, he was averaging 21 carries for 107 yards per game on 5.2 ypc. In the five game losing streak, he's averaging 12 carries for 58 yards per game on 4.8 ypc. The YPC remains similar but the touches have just plummeted. I don't understand how our experienced OC isn't making it a point to get the best player on the field more involved in the offense (and not just running him up the gut straight into defensive lineman). You can say that he's banged up, but he's still on the field for 80+% of our offensive snaps and he just ran for 106 yards and 2 TD's on 6.6 YPC (only 16 carries). Get him the ball more, please.

How hurt is he?
How often is he out there as a decoy?
Has there been a change in amount of run play calls directly for him?
Has there been a change in the amount of times he's getting the ball on an run/run option play or run/pass option play where Shrader is deciding who gets the ball?

I get what you're saying, I just don't know what the root of it is.

It was 4.1 ypc on and 82 yards per game on 101 carries for the 5 games not named Wagner.

Last edited:
The Clemson game is and remains the head scratcher.

The other games we've just been really bad on offense and there haven't been many touches to go around.

Now do the first 6 games without Wagner and UCan’t

It was 4.1 ypc on and 82 yards per game on 101 carries for the 5 games not named Wagner.

Cool, so taking out the Wagner game, his YPC has actually gone up in the 5 losses and yet he is getting the ball 8 times less per game, on average. Seems like good game planning to me.

Cool, so taking out the Wagner game, his YPC has actually gone up in the 5 losses and yet he is getting the ball 8 times less per game, on average. Seems like good game planning to me.
Don't you think its possible his yds per carry is better because they are only using him in certain situations. If you keep feeding him the rock they are going to focus on stopping him more. He is banged up a bit. He isn't quite as explosive all year. We have almost always been playing form behind in these games as well. All factors. I certainly don't feel like its an issue. In the Clemson game yes but other than that nope.

I don’t think Sean is hurt anymore, now it comes down to how he’s being utilized.

I don’t think Sean is hurt anymore, now it comes down to how he’s being utilized.
I have to say he looks healthier but I still don't think he has quite the same explosiveness. And regarding the Wake game, Our passing numbers were 19.8 yds per completion and 11.1 yds per attempt and we were playing from behind. I don't see how anyone could have issues with the offensive play calling in this game.

Don't you think its possible his yds per carry is better because they are only using him in certain situations. If you keep feeding him the rock they are going to focus on stopping him more. He is banged up a bit. He isn't quite as explosive all year. We have almost always been playing form behind in these games as well. All factors. I certainly don't feel like its an issue. In the Clemson game yes but other than that nope.

I think our offense has been putrid during this losing streak (it definitely looked better against Wake, FWIW), so if the reasoning for him not getting touches is that we are using him more as a decoy, it clearly hasn't been working.

I have to say he looks healthier but I still don't think he has quite the same explosiveness. And regarding the Wake game, Our passing numbers were 19.8 yds per completion and 11.1 yds per attempt and we were playing from behind. I don't see how anyone could have issues with the offensive play calling in this game.
I don’t have any issues with it either, I’m just saying for the BC game and bowl game it’s all systems go. So the only thing holding him back will be touches.

I think our offense has been putrid during this losing streak (it definitely looked better against Wake, FWIW), so if the reasoning for him not getting touches is that we are using him more as a decoy, it clearly hasn't been working.
In my opinion, the problem during this losing stretch is a combination of many factors. We have had Tucker who is banged up, not as explosive, and not heathy enough for a heavy workload. Side note; wish we would have seen Lequint a bit more. We have Shrader who is banged up, not explosive and because of this we haven't really called his number on the ground, and is reluctant to keep it on RPO's. This leaves not much other than try to pass it with a QB who can't scramble and make magic happen like he's used to and is also less mobile and comfortable in the pocket. Defenses are less worried about Spying Shrader or his ability to extend a passing play so they have been sending more guys at us. Also Defenses have not felt very threatened by our ability to execute long passing plays with our QB/WR combination so they have been having their DB's sit on the short stuff more and have them help support the run defense. This coupled with us often trying to keep another blocker in as the coaches don't seem to think they can handle the blocking job on their own which reduces the number of receiving options we have to throw to each play.

I think the offense improved a fair amount this week as Shrader was slightly more healthy and Tucker was more healthy as well but I have a feeling part of the reason is also because we were playing against Wake Forest who is not all that stellar on defense.

In my opinion, the problem during this losing stretch is a combination of many factors. We have had Tucker who is banged up, not as explosive, and not heathy enough for a heavy workload. Side note; wish we would have seen Lequint a bit more. We have Shrader who is banged up, not explosive and because of this we haven't really called his number on the ground, and is reluctant to keep it on RPO's. This leaves not much other than try to pass it with a QB who can't scramble and make magic happen like he's used to and is also less mobile and comfortable in the pocket. Defenses are less worried about Spying Shrader or his ability to extend a passing play so they have been sending more guys at us. Also Defenses have not felt very threatened by our ability to execute long passing plays with our QB/WR combination so they have been having their DB's sit on the short stuff more and have them help support the run defense. This coupled with us often trying to keep another blocker in as the coaches don't seem to think they can handle the blocking job on their own which reduces the number of receiving options we have to throw to each play.

I think the offense improved a fair amount this week as Shrader was slightly more healthy and Tucker was more healthy as well but I have a feeling part of the reason is also because we were playing against Wake Forest who is not all that stellar on defense.
Wow, really solid analysis/ summary.

Additionally, we normally think of an offense helping out a defense. But our offense is certainly playing against fresh defenses every drive. Our defense has struggled to get anybody off the field quickly giving long drives up and allowing defenses to be fresh against us. It may not a big factor but probably plays a little part in it. We need to add some size on the DL in the next cycle. The extremely light DL was OK when we played against the soft part of the schedule but once we got to the big boys its hurting us. We are way to light across the board down there. The depth hurts a lot as well obviously. Hopefully our guys can add some good weight in the offseason.

Additionally, we normally think of an offense helping out a defense. But our offense is certainly playing against fresh defenses every drive. Our defense has struggled to get anybody off the field quickly giving long drives up and allowing defenses to be fresh against us. It may not a big factor but probably plays a little part in it. We need to add some size on the DL in the next cycle. The extremely light DL was OK when we played against the soft part of the schedule but once we got to the big boys its hurting us. We are way to light across the board down there. The depth hurts a lot as well obviously. Hopefully our guys can add some good weight in the offseason.
There's no arguing it. We need a couple of bonafide DTs off the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom