Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
tone-loc.jpg

Someone at Syracuse is a bit out of touch with today’s music

MBB | SU's Midnight Madness to take place Oct. 14

2011 AmericCU Credit Union Midnight Madness Presented by TK99 ...

Melo case rescheduled for Nov. 30

Conference scramble will affect other sports

Videos

Battle of I-95 Post-Game Interview with Hakim Warrick

Battle of I-95 Postgame Interview with Carmelo Anthony

Battle of I-95 Post-Game Interview with Donte Greene

Orange ranked 4th, Joseph named all-American

SU recruit Cavanaugh commits to Wake Forest

Former Players

12 Team Melo vs Warrick photos

Carmelo Anthony reveals having two surgeries

Carmelo Anthony doesn't understand 'Muhammad Ali-type statements'

Around The Big East

Pitino's Choice: Big East Over Big 12

Rick Pitino solves the Big East's problems

Rick Pitino: Certain ACC coaches jealous of Big East's exposure

Rick Pitino may be out of the loop

IAC a Distraction From Realignment

With Bozo
Talk Conference Realignment With Brett McMurphy of CBSSports

Bye Bye Big East

Around The Nation

Conference Realignment: Maybe It's About Basketball Too

Source: A-10 to hold tourney at Barclays

Blogs

Syracuse Basketball Midnight Madness: Hope You Like Your Medinas ...

Realignment, greed and the effect on college basketball's hierarchy

Is it me, or does the kid sitting next to Melo in that video look a lot like DC2?

Is it good or bad that Fab's case has been pushed back to Nov 30th after his lawyer gave the judge reports on how his counseling is going?

Does that Yahoo article seriously have a beef w/ Melo for saying:
"Nobody wants to speak up...we all have opinions..." about the lock-out. Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali-like statements".
Seriously?
I'm sorry, can someone point out where Melo was out-of-line with that statement? Why does the writer go on to compare WHAT Ali said about Vietnam, versus what today's athletes say about more trivial stuff?
It seems like faulty logic. Melo was simply pointing out that controversial, bold statements are not something today's athlete does anymore (blame Michael Jordan).
I don't think he was comparing Vietnam & that obviously more serious situation, to the 2011 NBA lockout?
Am I missing something here- or is this just an attempt to invent controversy?

Is it good or bad that Fab's case has been pushed back to Nov 30th after his lawyer gave the judge reports on how his counseling is going?

Could be either, but most likely it's a good thing. I have mentioned this before, but as a former prosecutor, I would assent to continuances if I felt the defendant was taking his community service and counseling seriously. In those situations, I generally dropped the case upon successful completion of said community service and/or counseling program, especially with younger defendants who need a swift kick in the pants.

Could be either, but most likely it's a good thing. I have mentioned this before, but as a former prosecutor, I would assent to continuances if I felt the defendant was taking his community service and counseling seriously. In those situations, I generally dropped the case upon successful completion of said community service and/or counseling program, especially with younger defendants who need a swift kick in the pants.
Caveat. "Melo was scheduled to appear in the Syracuse City Court Monday but did not show." If that is true, and he just skipped out, he's in trouble. For certain types of hearings, only the lawyer is expected to be there... The article is not specific enough to infer either way. But on my second read-through, it does not sound like the City is planning on dropping the case, which means that if he pleads guilty or is convicted, he'll certainly end up on probation.

Caveat. "Melo was scheduled to appear in the Syracuse City Court Monday but did not show." If that is true, and he just skipped out, he's in trouble. For certain types of hearings, only the lawyer is expected to be there... The article is not specific enough to infer either way. But on my second read-through, it does not sound like the City is planning on dropping the case, which means that if he pleads guilty or is convicted, he'll certainly end up on probation.
Dude, its a BS misdemeanor. The USUAL outcome in something like this is: Pay restitution, stay away from victim, stay out of trouble for 6 months after court, and case is dismissed. I am sure that Melo is being asked to do some other things (a specific 26 week counseling program) due to uncharge alleged events. As long as the court agrees that the attoney can just bring in status reports from the counseling and there are no issues between appearances, Melo may not even be required to be there. Why feed the media and make the kid miss class? Until he has to enter a plea or agree to a disposition, why make him be ther?

Thanks for the info, lets hope he simply did not need to appear.

Dude, its a BS misdemeanor. The USUAL outcome in something like this is: Pay restitution, stay away from victim, stay out of trouble for 6 months after court, and case is dismissed. I am sure that Melo is being asked to do some other things (a specific 26 week counseling program) due to uncharge alleged events. As long as the court agrees that the attoney can just bring in status reports from the counseling and there are no issues between appearances, Melo may not even be required to be there. Why feed the media and make the kid miss class? Until he has to enter a plea or agree to a disposition, why make him be ther?
You just repeated what I already said. "For certain types of hearings, only the lawyer is expected to be there..."I gave a description of both sides of what may be the case because the article wasn't specific. And it's not a BS charge; domestic violence is serious ****. I don't know what actually went down (none of us do), but to assume it's BS isn't exactly objective.

Also, uncharged? If they haven't charged him with anything, he wouldn't be taking counseling or having to appear before a judge. They may drop the charge(s), but the only leverage the city has are the charge(s).

You just repeated what I already said. "For certain types of hearings, only the lawyer is expected to be there..."I gave a description of both sides of what may be the case because the article wasn't specific. And it's not a BS charge; domestic violence is serious ****. I don't know what actually went down (none of us do), but to assume it's BS isn't exactly objective.[/quote
IT IS NOT A DV charge. It is criminal mischeif. It involves intentionally or recklessly breaking or damaging the property of another with a value of less than $250.00. (the turn signal on the car.) That is the charge. There are certian rumors about ALLEGED uncharge DV issues, but HE HAS NOT been charged with that. However, I suspect that is what is taking so long to resolve this and why there appears to be counseling involved. It may be as simple as anger management or may be more detailed and specifically focused counseling, which is up to 26 weeks long. (BTW - The response was not directed to your post. Sorry if I did it wrong. )

When I referred to DV, I mean it took place in the context of a domestic dispute. No matter the charge, when it takes places in the context of a domestic dispute, that albatross is always hovering nearby. Otherwise, it sounds like you know more about the details than I do, so I'll leave it at that. Let's hope that (a) he actually is taking his counseling seriously, and (b) that we get him back distraction-free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom