Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

-94eab2861d6fa578.jpg

Chris McCullough (left)

Video: Chris McCullough Talks About His ACT Score and Coming to Syracuse (PS; Waters)

Chris McCullough played in the Mary Kline Classic at West Orange (N.J.) High School on Saturday.

McCullough, a 6-foot-10 forward, received a qualifying score on the ACT earlier in the week. He decided to play in the Mary Kline Classic last Thursday, just two days before the event.

McCullough ran the floor well and had a few nice moves to the basket. However, at times, he seemed out of sync with the game being dominated by guards. McCullough needs to get stronger to battle bigger, older and stronger players for rebounds.

15106255-mmmain.jpg

Kaleb Joseph Rated #4 Most Important Frosh in Country (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse basketball fans already knew how critical freshman point guard Kaleb Joseph will be to the SU basketball team next year.

ESPN's Paul Biancardi took Joseph's importance a step further Monday, naming Joseph No. 4 among the country's most important freshmen.

The article can be found on ESPN Insider's pay site .

While Chris McCullough is the higher-ranked recruit, Syracuse has other options at forward. The Orange, though, has no fall-back plan for Joseph.

If the freshman is good, Syracuse might sustain its run of national relevance. If he isn't, the Orange will almost assuredly struggle next year.

Other

15104141-mmmain.jpg

Incoming SU Frosh Wows Mary Kline Crowd with His Story of Beating Cancer (PS; Waters)

Then, Lenn Brown took the microphone. Brown, who will be a freshman at Syracuse University this fall, told the crowd about how he overcame a brain cancer called medullablastoma. After Brown finished, the players from both teams left their benches and came out on the court to shake Brown's hand. The crowd gave him a standing ovation.

Here is the text of Brown's speech:

Hello everyone and thank you all for being here tonight and supporting this amazing event, the 4th annual Mary Kline Classic. I would especially like to thank Alex Kline for asking me to be a guest of honor and giving me the opportunity to address you all.

My name is Lenn Brown and I am currently a senior at Morris Knolls High School, graduating in just 24 days. This fall, I will be attending Syracuse University at the Whitman School of Management. While this accomplishment may seem quite commonplace, in my case, it's nothing short of a miracle.

When I was 12 years old, I was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor called Medulloblastoma. A tumor was growing between my cerebellum and brain stem. My treatments were brutal: I underwent brain surgery, 30 radiation treatments applied directly to my brain and spine, and endured a full year of chemotherapy. My treatments made me so sick that I missed half of 7th grade and all of 8th grade. My life would never be the same. However, when I returned to high school for 9th grade, I felt overly fortunate; I am now a better person and one more wise and educated.

mookie-jones-before-2011-preseason-nitjpg-0118d72ae6c2ed8b.jpg

Mookie Jones Returns to Campus to Complete His Degree (PS; Ditota)

Mookie Jones is back in Syracuse, taking classes toward finishing his Syracuse University degree requirements.

Jones, the former Orange shooting guard who was dismissed from school midway through his senior season (2012) after another student accused him of cyberbullying, said today he started classes during SU's short May semester.

"I'll be done in December if I get everything done correctly," Jones said.

Syracuse fans embraced Jones for his long-distance shooting marksmanship. He shot 41 percent from the 3-point arc his first three seasons at SU in limited minutes. Since leaving Syracuse, he has sought basketball opportunities overseas and last winter played in Rochester for Lawrence Moten and the Rochester RazorSharks until a debilitating injury curtailed his season. The RazorSharks play in the pro Premier Basketball League.