Tuesday pre-game | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday pre-game

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Due to some unique circumstances I happened to enter the Dome from approximately four hours prior to tip Tuesday night. There were three scholarship players there before 6. Howard Washington shooting around pretty much on his own on one end. On the other end Oshae and Red were working on his shot. Probably hundreds of catch and shoot 3 pointers. As we've seen, Oshae has shown that he is mechanically sound and with work I would expect him to develop into a 35%+ shooter sooner rather than later. When Brissett finished Dolezaj started working with Autry. His drill was catch and shoot jumpers from the free throw line. By contrast I think some of the fans sitting in the Dunk and Bright recliners show better form. If Marek made 20% of his shots I'd be surprised. Red eventually moved him about 3 feet inside the line and he repeated the drill with 12 footers. Results were a bit better but still probably less than 50%. Made sense watching him catch the ball in the middle during the game and not even look at the basket.
Marek in the middle of the zone was obviously a big part of the offensive game plan but until he can at least confidently LOOK at the basket from there the benefits will be limited. On the other hand if he can develop a semi-consistent mid range jump shot it would be HUGE for this team against zones or when M2M overplays and doubles on the big 3.
Nothing surprising here but I think it validates a lot of what has already been posted.

Last edited:
with Marek have to wonder for now if the better proposition for him from that 10-12 foot distance is just a one-handed push/floater type shot - the jumper (or at least confidence in it) probably won't come until at least another offseason

with Marek have to wonder for now if the better proposition for him from that 10-12 foot distance is just a one-handed push/floater type shot - the jumper (or at least confidence in it) probably won't come until at least another offseason

Or a Gervin-esque finger roll like how Chukwu attempted that one game around the FT line! ;)

Due to some unique circumstances I happened to enter the Dome from approximately four hours prior to tip Tuesday night. There were three scholarship players there before 6. Howard Washington shooting around pretty much on his own on one end. On the other end Oshae and Red were working on his shot. Probably hundreds of catch and shoot 3 pointers. As we've seen, Oshae has shown that he is mechanically sound and with work I would expect him to develop into a 35%+ shooter sooner rather than later. When Brissett finished Dolezaj started working with Autry. His drill was catch and shoot jumpers from the free throw line. By contrast I think some of the fans sitting in the Dunk and Bright recliners show better form. If Marek made 20% of his shots I'd be surprised. Red eventually moved him about 3 feet inside the line and he repeated the drill with 12 footers. Results were a bit better but still probably less than 50%. Made sense watching him catch the ball in the middle during the game and not even look at the basket.
Marek in the middle of the zone was obviously a big part of the offensive game plan but until he can at least confidently LOOK at the basket from there the benefits will be limited. On the other hand if he can develop a semi-consistent mid range jump shot it would be HUGE for this team against zones or when M2M overplays and doubles on the big 3.
Nothing surprising here but I think it validates a lot of what has already been posted.
Wow. Some what alarming to hear Dolezaj only hitting 20% of his jumpers from the free throw line, but not surprising based on what we have seen in games to this point. Makes me wonder how in the world did he score so many points last summer for the Slovakian team I think he was the first or second leading scorer on the team. I suspect several were actual free throws but how else did he score? We all know his up close shots have not been a strength so far here at Syracuse. Glad to see him and Autry working on his shooting.

Marek doesn't get set, doesn't square up and pushes the ball on his shot.
Otherwise his form is great.
Let's see what practice can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom