Tuesdays with Corey: Bracketology, First Edition (LaxMag) | Syracusefan.com

Tuesdays with Corey: Bracketology, First Edition (LaxMag)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Just four full weeks of the season remain before the 18-team NCAA Division I men's tournament bracket will be announced May 3, so it's definitely time for Bracketology. This is a snapshot of how we see the tournament shaping up if the season ended today.

Conference leaders, as of the moment, are considered as such. But of course the 10 NCAA tournament automatic qualifying bids to league champions will be handed out weeks from now. Eight at-large spots remain. There's a lot of uncertainty as usual in predicting the tournament field but teams to date have built enough of a resume to get a good sense of how the selections may play out.

Here's the first crack, followed by an explanation of the selection criteria and analysis of the teams, both in the tournament and on the bubble. It should be noted that Eastern Michigan athletic director Heather Lyke is the new Division I men's championships committee chair, taking over for former chair Jim Siedliski. Fairfield athletic director Gene Doris is vice chair of the committee.

Tournament Projection
Denver quarterfinal

1) Notre Dame (ACC) vs. Marist (MAAC)/Hobart (NEC) winner
8) Cornell (Ivy) vs. Ohio State (At-large)

Denver quarterfinal

5) Maryland (Big Ten) vs. Albany (America East)
4) Denver (Big East) vs. Princeton (At-large)

Annapolis, Md., quarterfinal

3) North Carolina (At-large) vs. Towson (CAA)
6) Duke (At-large) vs. Georgetown (At-large)

Annapolis, Md., quarterfinal

7) Virginia (At-large) vs. Yale (At-large)
2) Syracuse (At-large) vs. Navy (Patriot League)/Richmond (Southern) winner

http://laxmagazine.com/college_men/...on_i_mens_lacrosse_bracketology_first_edition

The bottom half of that bracket looks like the ACC tournament in the quarters. And not that we shouldn't beat them, but potentially playing Navy on their home field would be tough.

The bottom half of that bracket looks like the ACC tournament in the quarters. And not that we shouldn't beat them, but potentially playing Navy on their home field would be tough.

We would be playing Navy in the Dome on Mother's Day.

We would see either UVa or Yale in Annapolis.

Ah, got it. I misinterpreted the layout. Give me a bracket!!!:D

That would be a great draw for Syracuse having Albany, Maryland, Cornell and ND on the other side of the bracket is like a dream. Only team that would really concern me would be Duke because of the Danowski factor. Also the fact that they have the NEC winner at ND (meaning Bryant if they get there) is a dream come true. Where can I sign up for this draw?

Maryland scare's me..

Raffa went down with an injury this past Saturday and it looked pretty serious per the guys at lawpower. Maryland will try to stall the crap out of the ball in any game vs Syracuse. A Maryland vs ALbany game would be the poster child for conflicting styles

As Exteme noted the game would be at home and Navy struggles mightily to score. I don't see Syracuse losing.

JeremyCuse said:
As Exteme noted the game would be at home and Navy struggles mightily to score. I don't see Syracuse losing.
Anyway we aren't the Sunday night game again???

Doubt it...SU's Graduation activities drives a Sunday Night game. ESPNU loves it to have Cuse on primetime to close out the first weekend.

Unless Syracuse moves the graduation ceremony or Syracuse plays the game Saturday in the new IPF I dont see how were not the Sunday night game. Only other possibility is if Syracuse moved the game to Saturday and freed up the dome by moving the other activities out of there which I put at about a 3% chance of happening.