Turner Gill | Syracusefan.com

Turner Gill

My thoughts exactly! Would absolutely love for this to happen, he is also a great recruiter with deep ties to texas. Do I think this will happen? No. But if it did I would be. Even more excited about the direction of our program. Would definitely take gills top recruiter and running backs coach reggie mitchell as well should wheatley ever pursue other jobs.

Would love to bring in Turner Gill to be the new OC. Has the NY connections, has been a HC, is a good offensive mind...just think he would be a good fit
Won't likely take anything less than a big-program OC gig, or resort back to the smaller conferences for a HC job. Why rush into anything I guess... he's getting a beautiful golden parachute out of Kansas.

While he definitely could take a few years off if he wanted to, he's a young ,energetic coach who is in the game to positively influence these kids lives by making them better humans and students, and I think kansas was very premature in firing a guy who has 1 of his own recruiting classes and they played a brutal schedule. I don't know who the hell the alums or fans at KU think they are as a football program, but when mangino had a couple winning seasons it was against a horrible big 12 north division when nebraska sucked. I hope turner gill proves he's a great coach somewhere else and throws it in that fan bases face. No way does a big time coachwant to go to a basketball school, with no football tradition that fires a guy with 1 recruiting class. Obviously they weren't serious about tryin to build a dynasty like they said when they hired him. Anywho, just my 2 cents about the situation, but I will literally jump for joy if we somehow picked him up for OC

There's a reason Gill wasn't hired here in the first place, and me thinks it has to do with the way he showcases his religious beliefs. This is purely my own opinion and I hope i'm wrong, but Gills post game interview immediately after his last bowl game while coaching Buffalo sealed the deal of him not coaching SU. Those who have attended Syracuse or are familiar with the student body, and are willing to do the digging into Gills comments will know exactly what i'm talking about.

Would love to bring in Turner Gill to be the new OC. Has the NY connections, has been a HC, is a good offensive mind...just think he would be a good fit
Gill is from Texas and played college ball at Nebraska. Gill's "NY connections" consist of the 4 years he coached at Buffalo to a combined .400 record (20-30) against a weak schedule, include MAC foes. Granted, it was an improvement, but he showed his ceiling at Kansas, where his teams went 1-16 in conference. Where does the assertion that he has a "good offensive mind" come from?

Where does the assertion that he has a "good offensive mind" come from?

The same place many of the assertions on this board come from...fantasy land

His offense was worse than ours the last two years in scoring (which is saying something) and was ranked in the bottom half of scoring offense 2 out of the last 3 years while he was at buffalo.

Ok, if its such a bad idea, who would you like to see? Give me some actually viable names? Anyone please!

I really hate when people fail to do research and blindly post non-sensical statements, first of all Gill didn't call the Kansas offense, that was offensive coordinater Chuck Long, while at Buffalo he ran the offense for the first three years there, in year three his offense broke every offensive schoolrecord and the team went 8-5 going into the bowl with UCONN, he also developed the talent of some zero to two star players and got them to the NFL, he then made Danny Barret the offensive coordinater in year 4 where the scoring offense dipped mostly due to a new sophmore QB who threw a lot of picks but were otherwise very explosive in a similar system to Gills, further more he is very experienced as a qb himself and also qb coach while at nebraska, where he coached some of the greatest and most productive players in college football history. Also while there was voted top recruiter in college football a couple years. What's my point u ask? We need this guy, he has been a head coach, ran explosive offenses,coached kids up to the NFL, coached hiesman caliber QBs, and is one of the best recruiters in the game. So yes I want Gill and yes we need him, I'm getting sick of predictable offense, boring offense, poor talent, poor QB play, if we don't atleast make a play for this guy we are doing our fans and players a disservice. Thank you, come again!

Gill would be a good OC for SU and f he is successful in his next gig as a OC he will get another shot at SU. As said the folks who don't see it just don't bother to do the research.

We need this guy, he has been a head coach, ran explosive offenses,coached kids up to the NFL, coached hiesman caliber QBs, and is one of the best recruiters in the game.

Please point out his Heisman caliber QB's...

Coached up players to the NFL? you mean player? James Starks was a hell of a talent, not sure he coached him up though.

Please point out his Heisman caliber QB's...

Coached up players to the NFL? you mean player? James Starks was a hell of a talent, not sure he coached him up though.

Uh, Namaan Roosevelt of the Bills, Josh Thomas of the Panthers, and Trevor Scott of the Raiders come to mind as well. Not sure if Drew Willy ever made the NFL.

Uh, Namaan Roosevelt of the Bills, Josh Thomas of the Panthers, and Trevor Scott of the Raiders come to mind as well. Not sure if Drew Willy ever made the NFL.

If James Starks was considered a "hell of a talent" then why did he only get an offer from UB? Played QB and DB in high school. He would have come to Syracuse in a second, even as a defensive back, if offered but that there was absolutely zero interest from SU. Turner Gill is the one who turned him into the great RB that he became and is now good enough to start for the Super Bowl champs.

Drew Willy was indeed on the initial Heisman ballot in the 1st round but obviously he was never a serious contender so that is a bit of a stretch. I still get your point though.

OK, I'm convinced, Turner Gill is the ONLY guy who can resurrect our offense. We should offer him a million-bajillion dollars to coach here, and give him a jet too.

Or maybe people just advocate for him because he coached a couple hundred miles from Syracuse, unlike the dozens upon dozens of other qualified candidates that no one ever paid attention to.

Like I said do some research before posting, its a simple concept even for those who blindly believe what they will. He coached 2 first team all american Qbs in Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch 1 of which did win the hiesman, he also coached up Namann Rosevelt-Bills, Jamey Richard-Colts, Trevor Scott-Raiders, and lots of other guys that atleast got a shot at the next levelas embarassingas it is to say this, the University at BUFFALO put more talent into the leaguethen SU during his tenure there, a team that had been D1 for like 6 years when he got there, had gone 8-49 in the last 5 years before he got there, and recruited 0 star players before he got there, like I have been saying do some research before posting, atleast try. A good and easy source for this info if anyone is interested is his wikipedia page. Take care now, bye bye then.

OK, I'm convinced, Turner Gill is the ONLY guy who can resurrect our offense. We should offer him a million-bajillion dollars to coach here, and give him a jet too.

Or maybe people just advocate for him because he coached a couple hundred miles from Syracuse, unlike the dozens upon dozens of other qualified candidates that no one ever paid attention to.
His Syracuse ties are not strong enough. He needs to be an alumni/former player. Just like the BB team.

His Syracuse ties are not strong enough. He needs to be an alumni/former player. Just like the BB team.

The new OC needs to be an alum? If true then Yikes!!! Not exactly a ton of candidates out there.

The new OC needs to be an alum? If true then Yikes!!! Not exactly a ton of candidates out there.

Let's try this again.
SARCASM ALERT

Let's try this again.
SARCASM ALERT

Sorry I don't post much on the football side so clearly have missed the context of this one. Although sarcasm is typically supposed to at least make an attempt at irony and you haven't at all.

Sorry I don't post much on the football side so clearly have missed the context of this one. Although sarcasm is typically supposed to at least make an attempt at irony and you haven't at all.

The sarcasm is that so many people on this board are hung up on having alumni coaching here. Something I am sure you must have seen on the basketball side with many people over time wishing that DC, for example, come back here to coach. There was even one today, IINM.

Sorry my post disappointed you in it's lack of attempt at irony. Guess you missed it. Self-imposed 1 hour ban.

No one is saying Frazier is the only or best candidate but he would be a damned good one. Guy has been succcessful in all his efforts except the KS job. Some folks talk makes sense, some don't others just plain like to bitch.

Like I said do some research before posting, its a simple concept even for those who blindly believe what they will. He coached 2 first team all american Qbs in Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch 1 of which did win the hiesman, he also coached up Namann Rosevelt-Bills, Jamey Richard-Colts, Trevor Scott-Raiders, and lots of other guys that atleast got a shot at the next levelas embarassingas it is to say this, the University at BUFFALO put more talent into the leaguethen SU during his tenure there, a team that had been D1 for like 6 years when he got there, had gone 8-49 in the last 5 years before he got there, and recruited 0 star players before he got there, like I have been saying do some research before posting, atleast try. A good and easy source for this info if anyone is interested is his wikipedia page. Take care now, bye bye then.

I did do some research before posting...scoring offense by year as follows:

2011- Kansas- 95th - 22.3 ppg
2010- Kansas- 111th- 17.3 ppg (2009 Kansas was 42nd at 29.4 ppg)

But we should ignore those numbers because it wasn't his fault it was Chuck Long's fault

2009- Buffalo- 82nd- 24.1 ppg

We should ignore that too because that was someone else

2008- Buffalo- 33rd- 30.3 ppg - WOW GREAT YEAR HIRE HIM

2007- Buffalo- 82nd- 24.3 ppg

A great offensive co-ordinator?????..the numbers don't support that at all. His offense was above average ONCE in five years ...

Yes he did great things at U of B. And he brought in great talent there...so you want to argue he's a good recruiter...I won't dispute that...

but he's no offensive genius that we have to go run out and hire immediately or we are doing the entire fan base a disservice...

Obviously you didn't read my posts correctly, take another long look and realize I never said we HAD to hire him as a matter of fact in my original post I stated it probably won't happen, its obviously a very long shot, but to sit here and find one thing to bash on the guy (scoring offense) obviously you aren't very informed if your refferencing manginos 09 squad that had a whole team of record breaking seniors that gill never got a chance to coach, its just ignorant to absent mindedly throw that comparison out there, its not even relative to Gill, he wasn't working with the best offensive players in school history, just some scrub mangino recruits and his 1 freshman class, for all the reasons I've gone in great detail to explain he would be a good candidate to actually come here to SYRACUSE we are not big time and unless you know something I don't I don't see a more well qualified, big name/recruiter coach who would give us the time of day. People just see what they want to believe, well believe this- Gill would be a GREAT hire for SU football and I would not be one bit upset to have himon our sideline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom