Tweet from Pete Thamel | Syracusefan.com

Tweet from Pete Thamel

I really doubt there will be many transfers. It's "us against the world" and my guess is the team will band together. What will be interesting will be to see which current commits bail, and which are told, "um, sorry..."

Boomer on WFAN believes this will set the program back 15 to 20 years. Doubtful. Tradition is too rich and deep. They'll be back to full strength in less than 10 years, maybe five or six.

I really doubt there will be many transfers. It's "us against the world" and my guess is the team will band together. What will be interesting will be to see which current commits bail, and which are told, "um, sorry..."

Agree to an extent. But if you are a young player faced with no bowl opportunities for the entire duration of your career, that might be a compelling reason to consider leaving. I think a lot of players are going to have to make some tough decisions once the initial emotion wears off and they consider the pros / cons of staying at PSU.

Boomer on WFAN believes this will set the program back 15 to 20 years. Doubtful. Tradition is too rich and deep. They'll be back to full strength in less than 10 years, maybe five or six.
5 or 6 might be asking a bit too much. But I agree, within 10 years, they'll probably be back to full strength. The only thing that might curtail that is a disinterested generation of kids who get tired of seeing them suck for 5 or 6 years.

It'll be a lot easier to transfer now in the summer and avoid the whole "us against the world" mentality. If your on campus you get pulled into that whole thing, sitting at home right now some of the players are thinking to themselves "I'm never going to go to a bowl game". It will be interesting to see what the impact is though.

Most of these kids have dreams of playing on Sunday. The more exposure one gets, on TV and in bowl games, can significantly improve one's media attention and draft prospects. I think personal self-interest trumps "us against the world."

I wonder how Marrone's relationship with O'Brien will play into this.
I thought the same thing. Hopefully, to paraphrase CTO's comment above, "I think personal self-interest trumps "us against the world relationships with other coaches."

I thought the same thing. Hopefully, to paraphrase CTO's comment above, "I think personal self-interest trumps "us against the world relationships with other coaches."

Thing is O'Brien has a potential numbers problem with his roster. Does he help out a friend by helping place kids in SU?

I would be shocked to see an influx of PSU kids at Syracuse, maybe we get 1 or 2 at some point but BFD really.

I would be shocked to see an influx of PSU kids at Syracuse, maybe we get 1 or 2 at some point but BFD really.

Agree. I don't think there will be the mass exodus some expect. I think that the class of 2013 will see a bunch of defections, and you'll obviously have a few players transfer [especially the younger ones], but I doubt we'd get 1 or 2, if even that many.

Thing is O'Brien has a potential numbers problem with his roster. Does he help out a friend by helping place kids in SU?
Oh, I see. I was looking at it from the opposite angle (would Marrone take advantage of the tragedy and potentially adversely effect a friend - you are saying O'Brien might help out a friend).

you have to wonder... is this odd rule specifically to help out Lane Kiffin? He has to be licking his chops right now.

He has Snoop and Will Ferrell on the phones as we speak.

They are down 15 schollies, right? And this is all free game?

Most of these kids have dreams of playing on Sunday. The more exposure one gets, on TV and in bowl games, can significantly improve one's media attention and draft prospects. I think personal self-interest trumps "us against the world."

Agreed.

I also think what you'll see is a lot of kids stay with the program this season. No one wants to be seen as being the first to leave. But then in December, January, etc. you'll start seeing a steady stream of kids leaving.

I would even be surprised if we got 2 players, not sure we'll even get 1.

Agreed. A non-factor.

you have to wonder... is this odd rule specifically to help out Lane Kiffin? He has to be licking his chops right now.

He has Snoop and Will Ferrell on the phones as we speak.

They are down 15 schollies, right? And this is all free game?
Someone (I think it was Thamel) specifically asked Emmert how this would affect OSU and USC considering their sanctions, and if they'd be eligible to take the kids, and Emmert said they had not determined that yet.

Agreed.

I also think what you'll see is a lot of kids stay with the program this season. No one wants to be seen as being the first to leave. But then in December, January, etc. you'll start seeing a steady stream of kids leaving.

Or ... there will be an inordinate number of redshirt generating injuries during the pre-season.

Someone (I think it was Thamel) specifically asked Emmert how this would affect OSU and USC considering their sanctions, and if they'd be eligible to take the kids, and Emmert said they had not determined that yet.

It would be insane to allow schools already on probation/scholarship punishment to benefit with "free" scholarships. No one in their right mind would allow that.

5 or 6 might be asking a bit too much. But I agree, within 10 years, they'll probably be back to full strength. The only thing that might curtail that is a disinterested generation of kids who get tired of seeing them suck for 5 or 6 years.

This. Can't believe we as SU fans are underselling the effect of a couple of crappy years. You are forgotten about, and quickly.

They better make the most out of the "us against the world" this year, because it's going to drop off. And you have a new coach trying to handle this, wow.

We've heard "dream school" from recruits with PSU for years now. Who will that now apply to? In-state kids who jump at the first big offer. Lot of Maljovecs and Meles (no offense). They won't be able to compete with other schools leading up to signing day.