Tweeting at Prospects | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tweeting at Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing back handed about my comment, it's creepy when you see people over the age of 18 all over kids that are under the age of 18.
NOW I have no issue with people saying congrats or you did something smart, but to randomly start tweeting kids basically begging them to come to a school or yelling at them for going somewhere else is some creepy activity.
So my apologies if you are the type that is just saying congrats.
The overall social media world towards these kids is creepy.

Let me get this straight...

Tweeting at a HS kid that is being recruited by grown men to play a game in front of tens of thousands of grown people paying good money to potentially watch said kid = creepy.

A year later after they have committed, then it's OK to fawn all over them on twitter, interview them and ask questions, take pictures and treat them like Gods = not creepy.

Got it.

Tweeting at a HS kid that is being recruited by grown men to play a game in front of tens of thousands of grown people paying good money to potentially watch said kid = creepy.

A year later after they have committed, then it's OK to fawn all over them on twitter, interview them and ask questions, take pictures and treat them like Gods = not creepy.

Got it.

I think both are creepy personally. It's one thing to have your kids meeting collegiate athletes. It's another to be a 30 plus year old male dying to get an autograph of a college athlete. That's just my opinion.

My opinion could be jaded because of experiences I have had with athletes and how they have responded, but that's where I land.

Whether it's creepy or not, it may be frowned upon by the NCAA. I'm not sure how they view twitter exchanges, but I know that boosters are not permitted to contact recruits in-person, in-writing, via email, or by phone. So if you've ever given any money to SU's athletics programs, those are off limits. Whether that includes twitter, I have no idea.

Got it.

Really enjoy when people put words in my mouth.

Fine line, for sure. When the kids post the offer/commit? Or when they retweet a "Come to cuse" graphic? I think they are happy for the encouragement... Other than that. No.

These kids are all about getting love from the fanbase. We've had fans of other teams talking on their forums about us and how effective we are and we've had recruits/commits list the CTA as one of the reasons they were into Cuse. They want to see a fanbase that cares and is engaged.

I don't see anyone complaining when we score the recruits they are drooling over throughout the whole cycle. It's necessary in the modern recruiting landscape. It's not an NCAA violation (Twitter is impossible to trace/too much to keep up with. The NCAA gave up on trying to enforce it). Kids love it. The staff loves it. We need to use every tool at our disposal to get this program back where we want it to be.

Honestly, you're welcome.

Sincerely,

#CuseTwitterArmy

Really enjoy when people put words in my mouth.

Nothing back handed about my comment, it's creepy when you see people over the age of 18 all over kids that are under the age of 18.
NOW I have no issue with people saying congrats or you did something smart, but to randomly start tweeting kids basically begging them to come to a school or yelling at them for going somewhere else is some creepy activity.
So my apologies if you are the type that is just saying congrats.
The overall social media world towards these kids is creepy.
Did you not say the above that I copied directly from the post I responded to??

If you didn't, my mistake...

My point was this, maybe you missed it, it's not OK when they are being recruited at 17-18 but it is OK a year later after they sign to do basically the same thing. Really, what's the difference?

Its real simple. Yes there are some creeps on twitter, yes there are some valuable twitter guys who make a positive impact on recruits. You have to know what your doing and know your limits. Its not for everyone. Everybody can't do it. #CTA does great things.

These kids are all about getting love from the fanbase. We've had fans of other teams talking on their forums about us and how effective we are and we've had recruits/commits list the CTA as one of the reasons they were into Cuse. They want to see a fanbase that cares and is engaged.

I don't see anyone complaining when we score the recruits they are drooling over throughout the whole cycle. It's necessary in the modern recruiting landscape. It's not an NCAA violation (Twitter is impossible to trace/too much to keep up with. The NCAA gave up on trying to enforce it). Kids love it. The staff loves it. We need to use every tool at our disposal to get this program back where we want it to be.

Honestly, you're welcome.

Sincerely,

#CuseTwitterArmy
Yepp. Cuse Twitter army is good at it, and I've only seen respectful tweets , that the kids like.
If the kid posts something, or retweets about cuse, the Twitter army has swooped in, and either liked/retweeted, or given words of encouragement. That's the good stuff, that the kids welcome. Anything past that, no.

The kids are marketing themselves, too.

Finally got twitter after all this time and put a very nice note in the birds mouth and sent it to a recruit. Should be getting it any day. I feel very hip and on the scene now.

If you're a Syracuse fan (especially an alum), you're an ambassador for the school every time you communicate about the U or a sports program. Simple as that. I don't mind people venting on here. But tweeting to a recruit or player .. wow, have to very very careful and, at a minimum, a good sport. So I get what Bam is saying ... it's part of our world now, but keep it classy for sure and beware of the NCAA rules about recruits.

I'm not into twitter. But I have to say, what I've seen from CTA has been awesome this past year since the new staff has taken over. The tweets are informative, they're positive and they're creative. Any 'old guy' that tweets venom at a recruit for going elsewhere needs to get a life. Negative tweeting is asking for trouble. But CTA has been really classy from what I've seen. SU AD should take a lesson .. the coaches and CTA have re-set the bar!

If you're a Syracuse fan (especially an alum), you're an ambassador for the school every time you communicate about the U or a sports program. Simple as that. I don't mind people venting on here. But tweeting to a recruit or player .. wow, have to very very careful and, at a minimum, a good sport. So I get what Bam is saying ... it's part of our world now, but keep it classy for sure and beware of the NCAA rules about recruits.

I'm not into twitter. But I have to say, what I've seen from CTA has been awesome this past year since the new staff has taken over. The tweets are informative, they're positive and they're creative. Any 'old guy' that tweets venom at a recruit for going elsewhere needs to get a life. Negative tweeting is asking for trouble. But CTA has been really classy from what I've seen. SU AD should take a lesson .. the coaches and CTA have re-set the bar!
A lot of good points here. I think the best approach is to educate fans about twitter. Let them know of the do's and don't's (especially if you are a donor) but to say there's no place for it is not the way to go.

A lot of good points here. I think the best approach is to educate fans about twitter. Let them know of the do's and don't's (especially if you are a donor) but to say there's no place for it is NOT the way to go.
I think I got your meaning ... fixed the typo.

One of the things when we organized the cta and set goals for what we would do as a group and who we allowed in to share info was we vetted their past posts and they had to ageee to a set of bylaws that they won’t negative tweet a recruit. One of the first things when someone we have tweeted commits else where is we go on and tell them we would have loved to have them but are rooting for them at their new schools. Also when we see some one outside the group negative tweet a kid we make sure they know it’s not exceptAble and the recruit knows that opinion isn’t one from the greater fan base.

I thought I change it already
Ok yep I see it. And I think your point (educating fans about twitter) is a good one. The CTA guidelines Bam is referring to sound good. NCAA compliance, however, is very sensitive. So tweeters might want to follow the CTA model.

Ok yep I see it. And I think your point (educating fans about twitter) is a good one. The CTA guidelines Bam is referring to sound good. NCAA compliance, however, is very sensitive. So tweeters might want to follow the CTA model.
My understanding ( from asking a university compliance official) is the ncaa has no specific rule on twitter but feel it is too wide spread and uncontroable for them to do anything with. I asked before we organized things lol

My understanding ( from asking a university compliance official) is the ncaa has no specific rule on twitter but feel it is too wide spread and uncontroable for them to do anything with. I asked before we organized things lol
That may be true as far as contact. But there are other risks, like a booster offering a recruit something. I'm just glad we have a group like CTA that is organized and tries to do the right thing. It's funny because I generally dislike social media, especially FB. But I found myself following twitter quite a bit as this FB season was approaching .. tons of information and clips of practice to get to know the players. The tweets about recruits committing ... those were fun too. They had cool names for every kid ... way past what SU AD has been able to do.

That may be true as far as contact. But there are other risks, like a booster offering a recruit something. I'm just glad we have a group like CTA that is organized and tries to do the right thing. It's funny because I generally dislike social media, especially FB. But I found myself following twitter quite a bit as this FB season was approaching .. tons of information and clips of practice to get to know the players. The tweets about recruits committing ... those were fun too. They had cool names for every kid ... way past what SU AD has been able to do.
I doubt you would see boosters offering recruits things on twitter...that would more likely come in a DM. That to me is the creepy part.

Oh yeah we would never. But I get what your saying. We have even had people leave the group for getting season tickets as it may be seen as a booster. We are ultra careful.
And yes I resisted twitter till Shy got recruited now I love it lol

Oh yeah we would never. But I get what your saying. We have even had people leave the group for getting season tickets as it may be seen as a booster. We are ultra careful.
And yes I resisted twitter till Shy got recruited now I love it lol
Yes...that is how I recall finding you and dragging you in here Mr. Brewer. ;)

Did you not say the above that I copied directly from the post I responded to??

If you didn't, my mistake...

My point was this, maybe you missed it, it's not OK when they are being recruited at 17-18 but it is OK a year later after they sign to do basically the same thing. Really, what's the difference?

Overall it's just weird and creepy to me in general. I find it just odd that people have the overwhelming urge to tweet at college athletes.
I was basically saying I can see it okay to just say congrats or welcome, but most of the stuff is over the top and creepy.

Overall it's just weird and creepy to me in general. I find it just odd that people have the overwhelming urge to tweet at college athletes.
I was basically saying I can see it okay to just say congrats or welcome, but most of the stuff is over the top and creepy.
to me, the twitter world is just a enormous barber shop of people just talking about different topics like politics, foods, places and of course sports. Its sports talk for me. If I see a local HS player in the barber shop, Im gonna talk to him about the game, congrats on the win, who do you play next? What schools are you looking at? If I follow him home, call him names and harass him, that will be creepy. Just one way of explaining it. Some people will not understand and that's cool.

to me, the twitter world is just a enormous barber shop of people just talking about different topics like politics, foods, places and of course sports. Its sports talk for me. If I see a local HS player in the shop, Im gonna talk to him about the game, who they play next, congrats on the win. What schools are you looking at? If I follow him home, call him names and harass him, that will be creepy. Just one way of explaining it. Some people will not understand and that's cool.

Completely get your point, I respect it and appreciate you not attacking me for having a different opinion.
I guess for me not having twitter and only seeing the negative side of things tilts me to my viewpoint.

How do I sign up for twitter since my wife refuses to let me have a Facebook deal
th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors