Twitter Usage | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Twitter Usage

I think some of you are confusing following a recruit on twitter and actually reaching out to a recruit on twitter and engaging in conversation about SU and/or recruiting. Boosters and fans cannot have intentional contact with a recruit. The NCAA says so, SU says so. Simply following someone on twitter does not go against that rule. So follow away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some of you are confusing following a recruit on twitter and actually reaching out to a recruit on twitter and engaging in conversation about SU and/or recruiting. Boosters and fans cannot have intentional contact with a recruit. The NCAA says so, SU says so. Simply following someone on twitter does not go against that rule. So follow away.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't contact or even follow any recruits. I'm not trying to get banned here.

If the NCAA and SU say it's illegal, but neither care to do anything about it, is it really illegal?

I'm still trying to find an example of the NCAA punishing a school for a booster making contact with a recruit that didn't include giving some sort of benefit. I doubt they have and I doubt they will.

I agree that following doesn't hurt anything but where is the line drawn? Is it ok to retweet or favorite a tweet when AJ long says Cusenation or we need Chad Mavety at Cuse? Most of these kids view this as a fan page and want to get their follower's up and like getting the attention from certain fanbases. The NCAA didn't write these rules with the internet, Facebook or Twitter in mind.

I agree that following doesn't hurt anything but where is the line drawn? Is it ok to retweet or favorite a tweet when AJ long says Cusenation or we need Chad Mavety at Cuse? Most of these kids view this as a fan page and want to get their follower's up and like getting the attention from certain fanbases. The NCAA didn't write these rules with the internet, Facebook or Twitter in mind.

Kind of like our founding fathers didn't write the 2nd Amendment with assault rifles in mind. Unless things are frequently updated, it can be hard to stretch the original rule to cover the most recent of technological advances.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't contact or even follow any recruits. I'm not trying to get banned here.

If the NCAA and SU say it's illegal, but neither care to do anything about it, is it really illegal?

I'm still trying to find an example of the NCAA punishing a school for a booster making contact with a recruit that didn't include giving some sort of benefit. I doubt they have and I doubt they will.

I am sure the ncaa hasn't punished anyone for social media contact. But some day some one will be made an example because am sure the concern is not the kid who tweets a recruit to come to SU but the person who constantly tweets a recruit and then takes it to the next level and send a private message saying "when you visit SU contact me and...".

Better to try and nip it in the bud and reduce that risk by having what seems to be silly and unenforceable rules.

all of you guys are forgetting an important factor in all this. Tweeting on a recruits twitter is extremely minor compared to what going on in the DM world. Thats where all the recruiting is going on. When you guys read these articles about recruits and how often they talk to college coaches, they are referring to direct messages from Twitter or Facebook, not actual phone conversations. During the recruiting process I would say at least 60% of communication is through that. I know for a fact because thats how i communicate with coaches and they do the same with me and my prospects. This allows limitless opportunities to engage with a prospect. My prospects tell me all the time that coaches send messages to call them. That way coaches are not calling them and breaking the rules. This is legal and coaches are taking advantage of this because they have to. Now what draws the line with fans/boosters DMing is that the communication is not monitored. You cant see what's being said through messaging. Its up to the recruit whether or not they will engage in DM with fans or whatever. They don't have to respond or they can choose not to follow that particular fan if they are annoyed with them. You cant DM if that recruit doesn't follow you. What's different for me is that ive actually have a relationship with some prospects because Ive either coached them at camps or 7/7 events. Another thing is people shouldnt complain about not getting high profile recruits if they dont like whats going on with twitter. You either deal with this or be happy with the 2 star recruits. This is not going away and other programs are going to get way more clever. Eric White is scratching the surface. Compared to RC's in other programs, he is way behind. He has the right strategy though. He gave AJ Long direct strategies. AJ is doing all the work that EW cant do. Thats brilliant my friends

all of you guys are forgetting an important factor in all this. Tweeting on a recruits twitter is extremely minor compared to what going on in the DM world. Thats where all the recruiting is going on. When you guys read these articles about recruits and how often they talk to college coaches, they are referring to direct messages from Twitter or Facebook, not actual phone conversations. During the recruiting process I would say at least 60% of communication is through that. I know for a fact because thats how i communicate with coaches and they do the same with me and my prospects. This allows limitless opportunities to engage with a prospect. My prospects tell me all the time that coaches send messages to call them. That way coaches are not calling them and breaking the rules. This is legal and coaches are taking advantage of this because they have to. Now what draws the line with fans/boosters DMing is that the communication is not monitored. You cant see what's being said through messaging. Its up to the recruit whether or not they will engage in DM with fans or whatever. They don't have to respond or they can choose not to follow that particular fan if they are annoyed with them. You cant DM if that recruit doesn't follow you. What's different for me is that ive actually have a relationship with some prospects because Ive either coached them at camps or 7/7 events. Another thing is people shouldnt complain about not getting high profile recruits if they dont like whats going on with twitter. You either deal with this or be happy with the 2 star recruits. This is not going away and other programs are going to get way more clever. Eric White is scratching the surface. Compared to RC's in other programs, he is way behind. He has the right strategy though. He gave AJ Long direct strategies. AJ is doing all the work that EW cant do. Thats brilliant my friends

The ncaa has opened up the rules for coaches and what they can do on social media like you outline.,

Yeah they had to open up the rules because this been going on for years now. You either open up the rules or penalize everyone because everyone is doing it. NCAA is starting to understand that

I just called the compliance office via the number listed on the AD website, and the official position is that it is not OK for anyone outside the coaches (the 10 full-time coaches), or persons with a prior relationship, to recruit a prospect via social media. Period. Booster or not, irrelevant, because only the coaches can do this.

Im going to buy season tickets to buttgers this year, register at their rvls site, put an R sticker on my truck and will start tweeting every recruit under the sun. Maybe I can get them in trouble.

This is the exact reason the NCAA will never really be able to punish schools for such behavior by fans. They have bigger fish to fry and should move on.

lest we forget the rules the NCAA is trying to enforce are created by the schools and the school voluntarily joined it to abide by those rules.
An overzealous fan base can screw the program by not staying within the NCAA regulations.We don't need that crap. Being excited is understandable but certain contacts are not allowed and the program gets punished ,not the perpetrator.:bat:

But isn't it true that texting and social media aren't considered "in writing" currently?

By current NCAA rules there are only 10 people on the staff who can recruit by contacting prospects in writing, and he is not one of them.

I just called the compliance office via the number listed on the AD website, and the official position is that it is not OK for anyone outside the coaches (the 10 full-time coaches), or persons with a prior relationship, to recruit a prospect via social media. Period. Booster or not, irrelevant, because only the coaches can do this.

Policing speech is too big a job for the NCAA. It's the official stance of our compliance office. That's helpful to know. But I doubt it's going to stop until the NCAA clarifies just how it wants to deal with it.

And as bees said - following is fine.

Policing speech is too big a job for the NCAA. It's the official stance of our compliance office. That's helpful to know. But I doubt it's going to stop until the NCAA clarifies just how it wants to deal with it.

And as bees said - following is fine.
Yeah, following is fine. That very issue is addressed in one of the articles I linked in the OP.

I think we all agree that some clarification is needed from the NCAA at this point. The question is: what form will that clarification take? It would be nice if they said, "Folks, let's be clear about what this rule means, you can't do what you are currently doing." Or maybe they say that it's a lost, or even misguided, cause, and the rule is rescinded. What I fear is that they will stick to their guns and do so by making an example of someone, and we are squarely in the target pool.

Any hoops fans feel confident that NCAA would treat us fairly?

Keep an eye on what happens here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...r-tweets-at-potential-BYU-recruit.html?pg=all

Who knows, but it looks like the first test case, where a booster's status as such is clearly discernible.
This was talked about a few weeks ago and it looks like nothing has changed. I haven't seen one quote from the NCAA stating that they are punishing or even investigating Texas Tech for this incident. Shouldn't this be a pretty cut and dry case? Famous booster tweets recruit to go to their school...boom, penalty. In the past week or so I've seen tweets to recruits from Anthony Davis, Aaron Rodgers, David Tyree, and Derrick Coleman and that's without even looking for it.

The NCAA just shrunk their rulebook because they said they don't have enough staff to investigate minor violations. They want nothing to do with the Twitter can of worms and will never punish a school for someone tweeting @ a recruit.

This was talked about a few weeks ago and it looks like nothing has changed. I haven't seen one quote from the NCAA stating that they are punishing or even investigating Texas Tech for this incident. Shouldn't this be a pretty cut and dry case? Famous booster tweets recruit to go to their school...boom, penalty. In the past week or so I've seen tweets to recruits from Anthony Davis, Aaron Rodgers, David Tyree, and Derrick Coleman and that's without even looking for it.

The NCAA just shrunk their rulebook because they said they don't have enough staff to investigate minor violations. They want nothing to do with the Twitter can of worms and will never punish a school for someone tweeting @ a recruit.
Let's see what happens. The article said that Texas Tech was investigating blah blah blah. If they self-report a minor violation, what then? The NCAA generally lets the school investigate first and self-report, so it's not surprising that there has been no sanction from on high yet.

I think you're missing something then (unless you are a compliance officer?) Because there's no way it's a violation and Eric White, our director of recruiting, is participating in feature articles in the local paper explaining how he contacts recruits.

What I don't get is your tone throughout this thread... You're basically accusing the AD, the staff, and Eric of willfully breaking compliance rules as if we have some out of control program, when we all know nothing could be further from the truth. Even when I pointed out that Eric is in contact with compliance, it's pointed out that is just his word (implying he's lying).

I'm happy we finally seem to understand the "game" and that we are starting to creatively level the playing field.

Nope, they are considered written communication, same as snail mail.

I think you're missing something then (unless you are a compliance officer?) Because there's no way it's a violation and Eric White, our director of recruiting, is participating in feature articles in the local paper explaining how he contacts recruits.

What I don't get is your tone throughout this thread... You're basically accusing the AD, the staff, and Eric of willfully breaking compliance rules as if we have some out of control program, when we all know nothing could be further from the truth. Even when I pointed out that Eric is in contact with compliance, it's pointed out that is just his word (implying he's lying).
Tone? I think my tone is even-handed. I would imagine that the line of questioning is the issue. I simply can't believe what I am seeing. I am genuinely confused by the fact pattern I see.

There are NCAA rules that regulate recruiting activities that are plainly interpretable, even to a layman.
NCAA member institutions have compliance departments that have policies regarding those rules.
Fans across the country, including ours, are being told not to do something, because it is a violation, plain and simple - and the response is, ! Try to catch me. Or, the rule is stupid and shouldn't be followed. Or, everyone is doing it.

I have never seen a case where a clear NCAA rule that would seem to be fairly important historically, is suddenly being violated wantonly. I do not understand, and am not entirely comfortable with, the aura of lawlessness that has taken hold.

My acute concern is that we are an easy target.

Tone? I think my tone is even-handed. I would imagine that the line of questioning is the issue. I simply can't believe what I am seeing. I am genuinely confused by the fact pattern I see.

There are NCAA rules that regulate recruiting activities that are plainly interpretable, even to a layman.
NCAA member institutions have compliance departments that have policies regarding those rules.
Fans across the country, including ours, are being told not to do something, because it is a violation, plain and simple - and the response is, ! Try to catch me. Or, the rule is stupid and shouldn't be followed. Or, everyone is doing it.

I have never seen a case where a clear NCAA rule that would seem to be fairly important historically, is suddenly being violated wantonly. I do not understand, and am not entirely comfortable with, the aura of lawlessness that has taken hold.

This is not totally accurate...Our fans are being told to "show love" to some of these players...Looks like SU needs to speak with Eric White and Coach Mcdonald about this because they certainly are encouraging the help/"love"...Just yesterday Eric White asked #Orange Nation to let everyone on board know they're appreciated...Def some disconnect somewhere?

Dude you have made your point now please give it a rest!

:bang:

Dude you have made your point now please give it a rest!

:bang:
I recommend the Ignore function if you don't like my back-and-forth with other posters.