Two Deep for Next Year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Two Deep for Next Year?

Wow sutomcat, your knowledge is pretty impressive. Keep up the good work.

I like your list, agree with most of it. Here is mine:

QB: Loeb/Hunt/Kinder/Allen/Wilson

Broyld might be given a chance at QB this spring. Regardless, there are too many players here and I think by the end of the spring, someone might well get moved somewhere else. Unless there is no separation and the coaches want to keep them all in the mix for the fall. But count me in the camp that gives Loeb the advantage for now. But only by an incredibly good looking nose.

RB: Smith/Gulley/Moore/Morris/McFarland

Too many players here. Someone has to get moved. The most likely candidate is McFarland to strong safety, where there is a big need. I am assuming Broyld will be moved elsewhere, as the depth at this position is the best on the team and he can play a number of positions (many of the others cannot).

FB: Coker/M.Davis/Cleveland

There really isn't a fullback position on the team anymore. But if there was, I would list Coker first (I did) because he is the only guy playing here these days.

TE: Thompson/Wales/Parris

I like this order. Wales is a fine blocker but he dropped an alarming number of passes this season and showed no improvement from start to finish. He is often not even ready to receive a pass when the ball is thrown to him. I don't think he is much of a receiver. Thompson is bigger, much more athletic and I believe he has much better hands as well.

WR: Funderburk/Kobena/Clark
WR: Foster/J West/Flemming
Slot WR: Broyld/B Lewis/A Cornelius

I list 3 WRs because that is what we used most of the time this season and I expect more of the same in the future.

Funderburk has size and speed and I expect him to develop into the deep threat we have needed for years now. I think he has a lot of Mike Williams in him.

Foster is a tough, physical kid with a great nose for the ball. A slightly bigger version of Alec Lemon. West is another tough kid who will get YAC and make some tough catches. Always hoping for Flemming to emerge. He plays great in practices and doesn't play in games. Sales II.

Broyld is too good an athlete to keep on the bench. If he doesn't get assigned here, he gets assigned to TE, I think. Can't see him at RB again. He would be a fine DE or LB but the guy has an innate gift to make people miss. He is our best player in open space and I cannot fathom moving him from offense. I hope/expect to see him used not unlike Sanu was used at RU his last season there. Lots of short/medium passes designed to give him the ability to beat someone one on one.

I love the depth we are building here, even if Broyld is moved elsewhere.

LT: Hickey/Knapp
LG: Trudo/Foy
C: Macky/Emerich
RG: Palmer/Robinson
RT: Phillips/JUCO

This assumes Pugh is gone. If he stays, he will of course remain at LT and Hickey starts at RT.

There is some controversy here because depending on who starts at QB. Normally you put your best OT at LT to protect the QB's blind side. But if the QB is left handed, like Loeb, I think DM will keep Hickey at RT and start Phillips at LT.

I think Phillips has been a loyal soldier and is going to finally get his change to shine, winning a starting position in the spring. It it isn't him, it will probably be Knapp. Robinson is a good dark horse at OG and OT. Might hurt him that he can play both, like it probably hurt Phillips so far in his career.

Trudo is an absolute lock, he played great down the stretch. Didn't think Foy was bad when he played early but Palmer was so impressive in the all star game at the Dome I have a hard time ignoring him. I like Robinson too...he might end up at the non Hickey tackle position as well.

DE: MPB/Simmons
DE: Robinson/Welch

3 of these guys were in the rotation this season, we only lose Sharpe (which is a big loss; he has had a terrific senior season). I think Simmons is more likely to break into the rotation than Manley because of a perceived need for another pass rusher. He is more like Sharpe, I think, than Manley is. Based on only seeing them play a few series...

DT: Bromley/Raymon/Walls
NT: Crume/Williams/Jones

Sloan might work his way into the rotation here as well. We have some nice depth here. Could definitely see Bromley or Raymon get some snaps at DE if they can get in good enough shape.

SLB: Washington/Vigille
MLB: Spruill/JUCO/Coker
WLB: Davis/Lynch

The biggest open question for 2013. The 3 MIKEs on the team now, as far as I know, are Diabate, Vaughn (who plays all 3 positions) and Coker. Spruill has played there and certainly could return. I think he probably ends up there, with the one of best of the young LBs/incoming JUCO LBs replacing him at the SAM position. Don't think Lynch is big enough. but I know the staff likes his intelligence and Diet Tab showed you don't have to be 6'0 to play at the MIKE. So maybe Lynch wins the position. I will go with this grouping for now, not having seen Washington play a down in person yet.

CB: Reddish/Lyn/Morgan
CB: Anderson/Whigham/George

The staff has settled in on playing Reddish, Lyn and Anderson almost evenly this season and I see no reason that will change next year.

SS: Eskridge/Ford
FS: Desir/Wilkes

I see you have Wilkes projected to lose his starting job at FS, which is a gutsy call on your part. This rarely happens. Based on what I have seen of Wilkes, this could indeed happen. He did not have a strong season and Desir appears to be a really impressive prospect.

Was pretty disappointed with the play of Eskridge this season. I think that he was hurt, and this was why he tackled poorly at times, and looked awkward and lacking aggression. At times, he also looked very good.

I have heard great things about Ford. He could easily end up starting at SS or FS. Or even WR, where he wowed the staff playing on the scout team this fall. We should monitor where he plays this spring closely.

I think we should also keep McFarland in mind at one of the safety positions, probably SS. That kid would be the second coming of Shamarko...really think he was born to play SS.

Thanks as always Tomcat. Any position moves you see coming other than Broyld? Personally I think Kinder is odd man out at QB. Not sure if he goes to WR or not. I like the idea of Broyld in the slot. Also, do you think Foster moves ahead of West? I like Funderburk and West as the 1 and 2. Would also not sleep on Kobena. He would have really benefited from a full redshirt last year and seems to still be learning the game. Curious as to why Trudo would flip to the left- would this be the strong side then with Hickey or Pugh? Also, I too liked Foy when he was in. Should be nice to have some guard depth. Tackle, specifically the tackle position not manned by Hickey, gives me the most concern. QB surprisingly does not for some bizarre reason.

As far as defense, any chance Simmons moves to LB? Not the easiest thing to do in the world but if he is still in the 220-230 range may make more sense. He could be another Mike candidate. In my opinion, Spruill is a much better SAM than Mike. Also, any thoughts on moving Anderson to one of the safeties? Good tackler, ok cover. I really like him against the run. If Morgan and Whigham emerge then could be an option. I thought Wilkes picked things up a little more at the end of the year. We do ask a lot out of the FS, especially with the SS up at the line frequently.

Sloan might work his way into the rotation here as well. We have some nice depth here. Could definitely see Bromley or Raymon get some snaps at DE if they can get in good enough shape.

This could be awesome.

Heard the same kind of chatter about Knapp that we heard about Pugh and then Hickey. Kris Curtis was getting that treatment too, shame about his injury/condition.

QB - Charley Loeb, Sr. (John Kinder, Jr. / Terrel Hunt, So.)
TB - Jerome Smith, Jr. (Tyson Gulley, TSr. / Adonis Ameen-Moore, TJr. / Ashton Broyld, TSo. / Steve Rene, Jr. / George Morris, Fr. / DeVante McFarlane, Fr.)
WR - Quinta Funderburke, Jr. (Chris Clark, TSr. / Keenan Hale, Fr.)
WR - Jarrod West, Jr. (Adrian Flemming, TSr. / Alvin Cornelius, TFr.)
WR - Kyle Foster, So. (Jeremiah Kobena, TJr. / Ben Lewis, Fr.)
TE - Beckett Wales, TSr. (Ron Thompson, Fr. / Josh Parris, Fr. / Louie Addazio, So. / Max Beulieux, Jr.)
LT - Kyle Knapp, Fr. (Andy Phillips, Sr.)
LG - Nick Robinson, So. (Omari Palmer, Fr.)
C - Macky MacPherson, TSr. (Jason Emerich, Fr.)
RG - Rob Trudo, So. (Ivan Foy, So.)
RT - Sean Hickey, Jr.

RE - Marcus Pierce-Brewster, TSr. (Rob Welsh, Jr. / Donnie Simmons, So.)
NT - Eric Crume, TJr. (Marcus Coleman, Fr. / Davon Walls, TSr.)
DT - Jay Bromley, TSr. (Zian Jones, TSr. / John Raymon, So. / Ryan Sloan, So.)
LE - Micah Robinson, Jr. (Josh Manley, TSo.)
WLB - Dyshawn Davis, TJr. (Cam Lynch, TJr.)
MLB - James Washington, Fr. (Lewellyn Coker, TSr.)
SLB - Marquis Spruill, TSr. (Oliver Vigille, So.)
CB - Brandon Reddish, TJr. (Keon Lyn, TSr. / Jaston George, So.)
CB - Rishard Anderson, Sr. (Julian Whigham, TSo. / Wayne Morgan, TSo.)
FS - Jeremi Wilkes, TSr. (Ritchy Desir, TJr.)
SS - Durell Eskridge, So. (Dontez Ford, Fr.)

K - Ross Krautman, TSr. (Ryan Norton, TSo.)
P - Jonathan Fisher, TJr.

Overall the quality depth and options are the most I've seen on the hill in a while, if everything stays as it is.

This could be awesome.

Heard the same kind of chatter about Knapp that we heard about Pugh and then Hickey. Kris Curtis was getting that treatment too, shame about his injury/condition.

Whats wrong with Kris Curtis? Staff was pretty high on him.

I like your list, agree with most of it. Here is mine:

QB: Loeb/Hunt/Kinder/Allen/Wilson

Broyld might be given a chance at QB this spring. Regardless, there are too many players here and I think by the end of the spring, someone might well get moved somewhere else. Unless there is no separation and the coaches want to keep them all in the mix for the fall. But count me in the camp that gives Loeb the advantage for now. But only by an incredibly good looking nose.

RB: Smith/Gulley/Moore/Morris/McFarland

Too many players here. Someone has to get moved. The most likely candidate is McFarland to strong safety, where there is a big need. I am assuming Broyld will be moved elsewhere, as the depth at this position is the best on the team and he can play a number of positions (many of the others cannot).

FB: Coker/M.Davis/Cleveland

There really isn't a fullback position on the team anymore. But if there was, I would list Coker first (I did) because he is the only guy playing here these days.

TE: Thompson/Wales/Parris

I like this order. Wales is a fine blocker but he dropped an alarming number of passes this season and showed no improvement from start to finish. He is often not even ready to receive a pass when the ball is thrown to him. I don't think he is much of a receiver. Thompson is bigger, much more athletic and I believe he has much better hands as well.

WR: Funderburk/Kobena/Clark
WR: Foster/J West/Flemming
Slot WR: Broyld/B Lewis/A Cornelius

I list 3 WRs because that is what we used most of the time this season and I expect more of the same in the future.

Funderburk has size and speed and I expect him to develop into the deep threat we have needed for years now. I think he has a lot of Mike Williams in him.

Foster is a tough, physical kid with a great nose for the ball. A slightly bigger version of Alec Lemon. West is another tough kid who will get YAC and make some tough catches. Always hoping for Flemming to emerge. He plays great in practices and doesn't play in games. Sales II.

Broyld is too good an athlete to keep on the bench. If he doesn't get assigned here, he gets assigned to TE, I think. Can't see him at RB again. He would be a fine DE or LB but the guy has an innate gift to make people miss. He is our best player in open space and I cannot fathom moving him from offense. I hope/expect to see him used not unlike Sanu was used at RU his last season there. Lots of short/medium passes designed to give him the ability to beat someone one on one.

I love the depth we are building here, even if Broyld is moved elsewhere.

LT: Hickey/Knapp
LG: Trudo/Foy
C: Macky/Emerich
RG: Palmer/Robinson
RT: Phillips/JUCO

This assumes Pugh is gone. If he stays, he will of course remain at LT and Hickey starts at RT.

There is some controversy here because depending on who starts at QB. Normally you put your best OT at LT to protect the QB's blind side. But if the QB is left handed, like Loeb, I think DM will keep Hickey at RT and start Phillips at LT.

I think Phillips has been a loyal soldier and is going to finally get his change to shine, winning a starting position in the spring. It it isn't him, it will probably be Knapp. Robinson is a good dark horse at OG and OT. Might hurt him that he can play both, like it probably hurt Phillips so far in his career.

Trudo is an absolute lock, he played great down the stretch. Didn't think Foy was bad when he played early but Palmer was so impressive in the all star game at the Dome I have a hard time ignoring him. I like Robinson too...he might end up at the non Hickey tackle position as well.

DE: MPB/Simmons
DE: Robinson/Welch

3 of these guys were in the rotation this season, we only lose Sharpe (which is a big loss; he has had a terrific senior season). I think Simmons is more likely to break into the rotation than Manley because of a perceived need for another pass rusher. He is more like Sharpe, I think, than Manley is. Based on only seeing them play a few series...

SLB: Washington/Vigille
MLB: Spruill/JUCO/Coker
WLB: Davis/Lynch

The biggest open question for 2013. The 3 MIKEs on the team now, as far as I know, are Diabate, Vaughn (who plays all 3 positions) and Coker. Spruill has played there and certainly could return. I think he probably ends up there, with the one of best of the young LBs/incoming JUCO LBs replacing him at the SAM position. Don't think Lynch is big enough. but I know the staff likes his intelligence and Diet Tab showed you don't have to be 6'0 to play at the MIKE. So maybe Lynch wins the position. I will go with this grouping for now, not having seen Washington play a down in person yet.

CB: Reddish/Lyn/Morgan
CB: Anderson/Whigham/George

The staff has settled in on playing Reddish, Lyn and Anderson almost evenly this season and I see no reason that will change next year.

SS: Eskridge/Ford
FS: Desir/Wilkes

I see you have Wilkes projected to lose his starting job at FS, which is a gutsy call on your part. This rarely happens. Based on what I have seen of Wilkes, this could indeed happen. He did not have a strong season and Desir appears to be a really impressive prospect.

Was pretty disappointed with the play of Eskridge this season. I think that he was hurt, and this was why he tackled poorly at times, and looked awkward and lacking aggression. At times, he also looked very good.

I have heard great things about Ford. He could easily end up starting at SS or FS. Or even WR, where he wowed the staff playing on the scout team this fall. We should monitor where he plays this spring closely.

I think we should also keep McFarland in mind at one of the safety positions, probably SS. That kid would be the second coming of Shamarko...really think he was born to play SS.

Thanks, Tomcat. You do a great job with this kind of analysis. We look to be building up some good depth in the lines and the secondary. Our running game looks to be the backbone of the offense next year. Cautiously optimistic going into the ACC.

Would be very surprised if Lynch doesn't start next year.
Given how much we play the Okie (and the fact he is a staple in that package), he is at least a part time starter right now. He does a great job in that package.

Against a more traditional power type attack, with say a FB and a TE, or a FB and 2 TEs, his lack of size could be problematic. Again, I think it is possible he could do it...Diabate is a similar player to Lynch in a lot of ways (short, fast, smart) and he proved he could do it this season.

A lot depends on the young LBs and whether one of them will emerge as a viable alternative to Spruill outside, so he can move inside again. It is very possible Lynch will end up being the guy at the MIKE. I get the feeling the staff really doesn't want to move Spruill back.

On a personal level, I am a big fan of Coker, who is a complete mad man on special teams (watch him on kick coverage the next live game you go to). Would love to see him get the job. He is a freak athlete who would make some extremely violent tackles if given the chance. It would be awesome if he is ready with the reads and assignments at this point.

I absolutely love Coker on the special teams...reminds me of the Shark on a running play only running 40+ yards. That young man plays with a lot of passion and maybe that's his problem at LB, as much as it's a good thing it suckers your butt into too many traps.

QB - Charley Loeb, Sr. (John Kinder, Jr. / Terrel Hunt, So.)
TB - Jerome Smith, Jr. (Tyson Gulley, TSr. / Adonis Ameen-Moore, TJr. / Ashton Broyld, TSo. / Steve Rene, Jr. / George Morris, Fr. / DeVante McFarlane, Fr.)
WR - Quinta Funderburke, Jr. (Chris Clark, TSr. / Keenan Hale, Fr.)
WR - Jarrod West, Jr. (Adrian Flemming, TSr. / Alvin Cornelius, TFr.)
WR - Kyle Foster, So. (Jeremiah Kobena, TJr. / Ben Lewis, Fr.)
TE - Beckett Wales, TSr. (Ron Thompson, Fr. / Josh Parris, Fr. / Louie Addazio, So. / Max Beulieux, Jr.)
LT - Kyle Knapp, Fr. (Andy Phillips, Sr.)
LG - Nick Robinson, So. (Omari Palmer, Fr.)
C - Macky MacPherson, TSr. (Jason Emerich, Fr.)
RG - Rob Trudo, So. (Ivan Foy, So.)
RT - Sean Hickey, Jr.

RE - Marcus Pierce-Brewster, TSr. (Rob Welsh, Jr. / Donnie Simmons, So.)
NT - Eric Crume, TJr. (Marcus Coleman, Fr. / Davon Walls, TSr.)
DT - Jay Bromley, TSr. (Zian Jones, TSr. / John Raymon, So. / Ryan Sloan, So.)
LE - Micah Robinson, Jr. (Josh Manley, TSo.)
WLB - Dyshawn Davis, TJr. (Cam Lynch, TJr.)
MLB - James Washington, Fr. (Lewellyn Coker, TSr.)
SLB - Marquis Spruill, TSr. (Oliver Vigille, So.)
CB - Brandon Reddish, TJr. (Keon Lyn, TSr. / Jaston George, So.)
CB - Rishard Anderson, Sr. (Julian Whigham, TSo. / Wayne Morgan, TSo.)
FS - Jeremi Wilkes, TSr. (Ritchy Desir, TJr.)
SS - Durell Eskridge, So. (Dontez Ford, Fr.)

K - Ross Krautman, TSr. (Ryan Norton, TSo.)
P - Jonathan Fisher, TJr.

You need to add Wayne Williams in at NT or DT. I think he's going to come in and be right in the mix.

I really like the way this team looks for next year. Some question marks, to be sure, but if we are serviceable at QB and LT, this team looks like it can be very competitive in the ACC.

Given how much we play the Okie (and the fact he is a staple in that package), he is at least a part time starter right now. He does a great job in that package.

Against a more traditional power type attack, with say a FB and a TE, or a FB and 2 TEs, his lack of size could be problematic. Again, I think it is possible he could do it...Diabate is a similar player to Lynch in a lot of ways (short, fast, smart) and he proved he could do it this season.

A lot depends on the young LBs and whether one of them will emerge as a viable alternative to Spruill outside, so he can move inside again. It is very possible Lynch will end up being the guy at the MIKE. I get the feeling the staff really doesn't want to move Spruill back.

On a personal level, I am a big fan of Coker, who is a complete mad man on special teams (watch him on kick coverage the next live game you go to). Would love to see him get the job. He is a freak athlete who would make some extremely violent tackles if given the chance. It would be awesome if he is ready with the reads and assignments at this point.
Based on his struggles there two years ago, I don't blame them for not moving him back. If Coker can figure out the reads he could be very, very good. Wouldn't mind Lynch in the middle at all, though.

I absolutely love Coker on the special teams...reminds me of the Shark on a running play only running 40+ yards. That young man plays with a lot of passion and maybe that's his problem at LB, as much as it's a good thing it suckers your butt into too many traps.
I like Coker a lot but he may be similar to JR Johnson - special teams' guru with great athletic skills but couldn't put it together to be a regular LBer. Albeit a brief stint but JR Johnson made the NFL for that niche/skill set and maybe Coker can do the same.

I like Coker a lot but he may be similar to JR Johnson - special teams' guru with great athletic skills but couldn't put it together to be a regular LBer. Albeit a brief stint but JR Johnson made the NFL for that niche/skill set and maybe Coker can do the same.

Good compassion but let's face it, did JJ ever catch a pass for a td? ;)

The offense went to another level when Pugh and Trudo were inserted into the line-up. Assume Pugh is gone. Trudo has a chance to be very, very good. Foy replaced Trudo on one or two second half drives against Temple and did ok - mostly due to his enormous size. If he can drop some weight, he could be very solid too. Too bad Emerich appears stuck for now as I hear good things about him.

At what point does Kinder go somewhere else? Appears to be a solid athlete with no home at QB and a clock that is ticking away. Hunt too if the freshmen pass him by.

Word was that Hunt was ahead of Loeb before his little incident. If so, he would be a strong contender.

If Pugh gets word that he is a lock to get drafted, he is gone, no matter where it is. His friends are leaving and he is graduating. There is no incentive to stay. He may get stronger, but he will never be a prototype NFL tackle. He is an NFL guard. I think he goes around 3rd or 4th round.

3rd/4th round is not worth going early ... simply not the same guaranteed money. Would result in a huge risk.

Is Foster going to be ready for spring football? I thought he did some serious damage to his knee. Could he move ahead of West even with his injury?

Is Foster going to be ready for spring football? I thought he did some serious damage to his knee. Could he move ahead of West even with his injury?
no way he moves over West. Funderburk will be the #1, West the #2. everything else is up for grabs

bnoro is funderburk the real deal?

Heard the same things I heard about Wes Johnson while he was practicing before he was eligible. Possibly our best receiver in practice, and with Lemon/Sales on the team that's high praise.

The base set will still be three wide, 1 tight, 1 back.

Funderburk and West are givens. The battle will be between Kobena, Clark, Foster, and Flemming for that third spot. Kobena and Clark will be the guys in as the 4th WR when they go four wide if nothing else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom