Two very interesting indirect twists on the Marrone decision last night | Syracusefan.com

Two very interesting indirect twists on the Marrone decision last night

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
1) Boeheim wins 903 and gets nationwide kudos as a legend who was unique in doing it all in one place. When interviewed, he mentions what a "privilege" is has been to coach at SU and has no regrets about never going anywhere. Does this have any effect on Marrone's thinking?

2) Louisville (who we rocked) rocks Florida. Does this show Marrone we're not that far away from competing with the elite (if far at all) or does this win up his NFL stock?

To clarify, I'm talking about his discussions with Doug, admitting he asked Doug to stay and his quite that he thought Doug was going "to make a good decision."

If his conversation with Doug ended with "thanks coach, but I gotta do what I gotta do," I don't think jb brings it up last night. Jb doesn't like to be viewed as failing at anything.

I don't think jb would have made those comments if he believed Marrone was leaving.

I dunno about that. JB isn't the kind of person to bring up a non-issue. I think he brings that up because DM is indeed seriously thinking about leaving.

When has JB every pussyfooted around anything he says?

I'm sure he knows and understands DM's dilemma... but then again, he also has 30+ years here, just got 900 wins, has a state-of-the-art team facility and now raking in top-5 recruiting classes annually (remember, before Melo center and after the NC - the Watkins/T-Rob era was not all that great recruiting - a lot of projects with limited ceilings??...)

Dougie is right for asking for more and better... He may or may not get it... But in moving to the ACC, now is time to plead his case.

I hope he gets what he's asking for...

I dunno about that. JB isn't the kind of person to bring up a non-issue. I think he brings that up because DM is indeed seriously thinking about leaving.

I agree with you and Jimmy wants a successful program at SU as much as anyone. This might be JB's most important recruiting task in a while.

What irks me the most is that we are SOOOO DAMN CLOSE on so many different fronts. Last nights win by Louisville only helped reaffirm those feelings.

We are so close to making a return to big time football
We are so close to landing big time recruits
We are so close to finally winning consistently
We are so close to finally establishing a true identity on offense/defense
We are so close to overcoming the GRob error
We are so damn close to finally having a stable, successful program

And now the leader of that turnaround is having second thoughts....
This whole thing just sucks

To clarify, I'm talking about his discussions with Doug, admitting he asked Doug to stay and his quite that he thought Doug was going "to make a good decision."

If his conversation with Doug ended with "thanks coach, but I gotta do what I gotta do," I don't think jb brings it up last night. Jb doesn't like to be viewed as failing at anything.
Jake where did you see this, or was it something you heard from a source ?

What irks me the most is that we are SOOOO DAMN CLOSE on so many different fronts. Last nights win by Louisville only helped reaffirm those feelings.

We are so close to making a return to big time football
We are so close to landing big time recruits
We are so close to finally winning consistently
We are so close to finally establishing a true identity on offense/defense
We are so close to overcoming the GRob error
We are so damn close to finally having a stable, successful program

And now the leader of that turnaround is having second thoughts....
This whole thing just sucks

Great post 44. I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning...and its f&(*&^g frustrating

Must be referring to JB' s presser after last night's game. Was asked about Marrone in the last question.

here is the link: http://www.suathletics.com/showcase/#Archive/6649

Yup:

http://sujuiceonline.com/2013/01/02/boeheim-i-hope-doug-marrone-stays-in-syracuse/

JB said:

“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”

Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.

“I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”

Loyalty.

That's what JB is all about, and to a fault.

It would not surprise me in the least if a conversation/dinner with JB could have changed an otherwise 85-percent made up mind.

Thank goodness we have someone like him on staff.

Loyalty.

It would not surprise me in the least if a conversation/dinner with JB could have changed an otherwise 85-percent made up mind.

It's also telling that JB did the dinner...

I.E. It was probably requested he do it by Gross because the liklihood we lose Doug to the NFL is high...

Call in the big gun so to speak for some hard lobbying...

Honestly, I'm more and more discouraged about all this... If he gets an offer, I think he's gone regardless of what type of counter and/or facillities plans the school may try to offer...

wait, the dinner actually happened?

Loyalty.

Loyal yes but he seems to really love living in Syracuse as well.

“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”

Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.

I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”
Wow, does not sound good. The grass always looks greener.

I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”

I think you way overreacting to those sentences...

There is nothing Wow about that. Nor, does it sound bad.

Now if he said "I tried to convince him that syracuse was better than buffalo, kansas city, and cleveland... i dont know if he believed that."

that would = a wow.

Keep in mind - the grass is almost always greener in Hawaii at least for 7-8 months a year.

Loyal yes but he seems to really love living in Syracuse as well.
I have been a longtime advocate of Boeheim being the AD No one in the sports athletic department "gets it" more than Jimmy. He understands the $/financial side as well as the fan side in terms of paying to see an exciting product in an economically depressed area He typically puts25,000 fans in the seats at the Dome rivallng some football program attendance.:cool:

I think you way overreacting to those sentences...

There is nothing Wow about that. Nor, does it sound bad.

Now if he said "I tried to convince him that syracuse was better than buffalo, kansas city, and cleveland... i dont know if he believed that."

that would = a wow.

Keep in mind - the grass is almost always greener in Hawaii at least for 7-8 months a year.

I think I'm way not. Chow is only going into the second year of his contract at Hawaii so unless DM has decided to retire or take up surfing no HC job there.

Give him some of that Hoffman stock Jimmie and offer free bologna for life, it might be just that simple!

The "green isn't grass" Or sat least not the good kind! For Jimmy the Dome is a giant bong.:cool:

Sounds more like typical Boeheim sarcasm to me.

I think the importance of JB reaching out to HCDM is that it sends the message that "Hey, I could have left for an NBA gig years ago, but instead I chose a different lifestyle for my family and to stay at my alma mater."