Two very interesting indirect twists on the Marrone decision last night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Two very interesting indirect twists on the Marrone decision last night

1) Boeheim wins 903 and gets nationwide kudos as a legend who was unique in doing it all in one place. When interviewed, he mentions what a "privilege" is has been to coach at SU and has no regrets about never going anywhere. Does this have any effect on Marrone's thinking?

Boeheim is a smart guy and many times his comments are very calculated. He often has topics/points he knows he's going to say before he hits that podium. I have no doubt there was definitely a reason and/or motive for him making those comments last night.

Sounds more like typical Boeheim sarcasm to me.

I think the importance of JB reaching out to HCDM is that it sends the message that "Hey, I could have left for an NBA gig years ago, but instead I chose a different lifestyle for my family and to stay at my alma mater."

You may be right about the sarcasm but the first comment is the more concerning of the two. There appears to be some serious doubt as to the long term fit.

What Boeheim's meanings were I won't even try to take a stab at deciphering. What struck me was on the night Jim Boeheim passes a legend/peer for 2nd on the all-time wins list, he takes the time to answer questions regarding Doug Marrone in depth. And yes, I understand he was asked, but he didnt just throw out a manufactured response. To me that speaks volumes about Jimmy B and his well-documented love for 'Cuse. We're truly lucky to have somebody like him. And, somebody like Marrone, for however long we do, as well.

I can't see Jim and Juli serving fried baloney.

HCDM is interviewing today with the browns
Is Marrone in Arizona? If not, who is conducting the interview? Haslam and Banner have been in AZ this week interviewing Wisenhunt and Horton and won't be back in Cleveland until at least Friday night, after they've interviewed Kelly.

The Browns are not hiring Marrone unless things go horribly wrong with their coaching search. He appears to be 5th or 6th on their list.

Is Marrone in Arizona? If not, who is conducting the interview? Haslam and Banner have been in AZ this week interviewing Wisenhunt and Horton and won't be back in Cleveland until at least Friday night, after they've interviewed Kelly.

The Browns are not hiring Marrone unless things go horribly wrong with their coaching search. He appears to be 5th or 6th on their list.

Frankly I wouldn't wish a trip to Cleveland on my worst enemy ... I hope he doesn't end up there.

Sounds more like typical Boeheim sarcasm to me.

I think the importance of JB reaching out to HCDM is that it sends the message that "Hey, I could have left for an NBA gig years ago, but instead I chose a different lifestyle for my family and to stay at my alma mater."

No it's actually what he told Pitino in the highly publicized story when the Boeheims and Pitino's were vacationing together and each answered where they'd most want to live.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney03/columnist?id=1532880&name=wojnarowski_adrian

I don't think JB is being completely genuine. I think he just wants the Marrones to move into Bernie's house across the street. He's probably had dozens of people over for dinner trying to pull the same stunt.

Let's hope it works.

Frankly I wouldn't wish a trip to Cleveland on my worst enemy ... I hope he doesn't end up there.

Actually, East 40th Street and Quincy Ave. in Cleveland is exactly where I'd send my worst enemy.

Thanks Cheriehoop. I was just gong to clear up the Hawaii part, but you got there first. Was wondering why that went over so many heads?
Yes everyone is here in AZ waiting to interview Chip Kelly. It is all over the AZ news, so I know they are here. So also not sure who is interviewing Doug in Buffalo or Cleveland. Altho Chip can only go to one of those places. And then...that leaves Chip's job open. There really is nothing we can do. Doug will do what is best for Doug. After all so would most of us in that situation.

“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”
Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.
I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”
Wow, does not sound good. The grass always looks greener.

I also found this part of JB's quote rather interesting as well. Maybe Doug's skin is thinner than it appears...

But I’ve told him many times they’ve wanted me out of here many, many times. And there’s still a large, not a large, but a significant number that think I should not be here now.”
“They need somebody that can coach man-to-man, because I’m sure if we had been playing man-to-man all these years we would have won 80 or 82-percent of our games probably, at least. I can’t see why we wouldn’t.”