Ty Xanders | Syracusefan.com

Ty Xanders

outoftownie

2nd String
I know a lot of folks like to take shots at this guy for his rankings, his website and the job he created for himself, but he had one of the best tweet chains in a while. And anyone that has any involvement with club lacrosse can share their horror stories. Good for Ty for making a statement, read thru entire chain.

I didn't read the complaints, but all of the problems caused by traveling teams in any sport could be solved by the NCAA very easily. Put in a rule that "you are ineligible to play in the NCAA if you play for any team other than your school in any sport sponsored by your school." End of outrageous traveling team expenses. End of AAU basketball. End of story.

I didn't read the complaints, but all of the problems caused by traveling teams in any sport could be solved by the NCAA very easily. Put in a rule that "you are ineligible to play in the NCAA if you play for any team other than your school in any sport sponsored by your school." End of outrageous traveling team expenses. End of AAU basketball. End of story.

Although I get the issue as a HS coach and a parent of a player that is probably a little extreme. Club lacrosse, just like AAU bball provide training opportunities that schools can't offer. Not all clubs are created equal. Just like not all parents are lunatics.

Also btw, AAU bball is 10000% worse.

Never happen, the sport and the travel business is expanding despite the high costs as it's viewed as necessary since that is where the scouts are. I also wished that HS play sufficed but levels of hs competition in lax vary greatly even within regions. Have to feel for those families that sacrifice for their kids to partake with hopes that it will payoff. From past experiences watching both travel in AAU hoops and club lax, notice the same behavior despite differences in crowd makeup. I'd argue that there is less self interest of spectators in bball and more enjoyment of the game itself.
Wearing vineyard vines changes little, just imagine the resonating noise from some lax parents if game were played indoors in confined spaces. There is a contingent of adult spectators in most sports that are loud, obnoxious and somewhat unruly, barking at ref calls and being delusional about their kids abilities and college prospects.
In lax, the greater possibility of playing and expanding college choices raises the underlying tension for many lax parents especially given the sideline chatter and media reporting . The recent changes to the recruiting timetable was the right move and should help to relieve at least in the earlier stages.

I wish I went to the AAU tournaments you went to. lol. I have found them be worse. I also have found that the younger levels of club tournaments are far worse from the parents sideline. Lot of coaching kids and complaining about physical play and bad calls. Tough to paint with a broad brush however, some games are great with just basic cheering and you can meet some great people from other areas of the country, others are a complete show.

I wish I went to the AAU tournaments you went to. lol. I have found them be worse. I also have found that the younger levels of club tournaments are far worse from the parents sideline. Lot of coaching kids and complaining about physical play and bad calls. Tough to paint with a broad brush however, some games are great with just basic cheering and you can meet some great people from other areas of the country, others are a complete show.
Correct, hard to use a broad brush. Just speaking from my own personal experiences .Second tier AAU club that traveled to other states . Team was primarily black with coaches that were father figures to some and the few parents that traveled were primarily women. Basketball is more a way of life than a means to a end. Certainly cultural differences from many angles but I came to appreciate the noise on and off the court. I see hs basketball between suburban and urban schools through a different prism than my friends given that experience. As far as shows at lower levels, nothing like junior wrestling tournaments to bring out the crazy within some people.

Although I get the issue as a HS coach and a parent of a player that is probably a little extreme. Club lacrosse, just like AAU bball provide training opportunities that schools can't offer. Not all clubs are created equal. Just like not all parents are lunatics.

Also btw, AAU bball is 10000% worse.

Completely agree and the truthfully the Club Lacrosse scene is just about the only way kids from non typical areas are going to be found by D1 programs. Can't imagine the Cuse Coaches would have found Salcido in Florida, Solomon in Georgia, or all of the other guys that have made a difference.

The other problem in a lot of the non hotbed areas is that the HS Coaches have never played and don't understand the game. They're just picking up a paycheck. The club coaches can provide training that they won't get from HS.

On the flip side the parents are out of control with all of the screaming, the costs for these kids to play travel is out of control, and the total disrespect many of these kids have towards the refs, their own coaches, etc. is unbelievable.

Yeah, let's have the science teacher developing athletic talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom