Tyler Lydon - The Complete Package... | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon - The Complete Package...

newmexicuse

All Conference
in the first half.

Why couldn't he maintain his focus and assertiveness for the full 40 ?

I hate to bash a great kid who does contribute so much, but once again he leaves me feeling like he could and should have done much more.

This kid just needs to sometimes take the game by the throat and dominate.

in the first half.

I hate to bash a great kid who does contribute so much, but once again he leaves me feeling like he could and should have done much more.

Yep. Lydon had 14 points in the first half ...and 1 point in the 2nd half.

He didn't need to do much the second half, White did the scoring. Lydon needed help the first half and got nothing. Should Lydon have taken Whites shots the second half?

Missed bunnies all season long. Too many times throughout the season did he have the ball two feet from the rim and came away with no points. It seemed like second half of season he started to overthink situations instead of just playing.

He didn't need to do much the second half, White did the scoring. Lydon needed help the first half and got nothing. Should Lydon have taken Whites shots the second half?
In the first half he crashed the boards and created many of his own opportunities. In the 2nd half he played passively both in terms of not getting after the ball and in terms of not seeking his own opportunities within the offense. I just loved his first half baseline drive. He should be driving every time a defender is in his grill to take away his trey look.

Instead of celebrating Lydon's baseline drive and monster two-handed slam, I just shook my head. He's capable of so much more than he produces. Case in point, at the end of the half he misses a wide open bunny instead of going up strong and dunking it.

In the first half he crashed the boards and created many of his own opportunities. In the 2nd half he played passively both in terms of not getting after the ball and in terms of not seeking his own opportunities within the offense. I just loved his first half baseline drive. He should be driving every time a defender is in his grill to take away his trey look.

He did have a nice drive, but everybody is capable of doing it once in awhile and maybe not on the regular. If Lydon tried to drive every time or even twice as much as he does now he'd have 5-8 turnovers a game.

He did have a nice drive, but everybody is capable of doing it once in awhile and maybe not on the regular. If Lydon tried to drive every time or even twice as much as he does now he'd have 5-8 turnovers a game.
You are probably right, but when he can do that wo the TOs that is when he will be worthy of being a first round pick.

lydon should declare for the draft and try to get away from what is rapidly become our very own dumpster waiting for a match to ignite it

Lydon is the perfect sidekick. He does a lot of things well but is at his best offensively when he's set up by someone else. I don't see him making a drastic change next year, if he comes back. He'll be a more refined version of what we saw this year (maybe one that will learn to use the glass when he's shooting the baby hook 2 ft from the basket).

Battle could be his best friend next year. He's the best player we've had at creating for himself since Waiters but may be better at finding teammates when a defense collapses on him. Hopefully scouts don't agree with me and talk him into leaving.

Maybe because Ole Miss decided to focus the defense on him in the 2nd.

It worked.

Yes, he didn't see the ball much 2nd half. I watched him point up for some high alley oop type passes but didn't happen. He only took 3 shots the second half but had 5 rebounds (2 offensive) . The entire 2nd half , he played as a forward with Thompson playing with him. First half Roberson played 13 minutes maybe giving Lydon much more room offensively. A double double is nothing to discount or down play.

White and Battle did really nothing the first half on 0-8 shooting and just 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal between them. In the 2nd half, they were 11 of 20. Obviously the offense was running through them the 2nd half.

We should pin this thread just to see how many times the naysayers in here pine for Lydon next year. When he'll be long gone to the NBA or elsewhere.

We should pin this thread just to see how many times the naysayers in here pine for Lydon next year. When he'll be long gone to the NBA or elsewhere.
Because one can't be frustrated by his lackadaisical play and recognize the team is better with him at the same time?

Nah, some are just posting that Lydon sucks to convince themselves that he has no shot in the NBA and make themselves feel better. Sad, really.

Next year, they'll be posting Battle or whoever needs another year because he's not ready for the NBA. This stuff is like clockwork.

Nah, some are just posting that Lydon sucks to convince themselves that he has no shot in the NBA and make themselves feel better. Sad, really.

Next year, they'll be posting Battle or whoever needs another year because he's not ready for the NBA. This stuff is like clockwork.
I personally think Lydon should leave. I don't believe he will make an NBA roster and be in the D league because he could use another year but if he doesn't take a leap...scouts wont be as impressed with his potential. He really didn't improve much between last year and now. His numbers are up mainly because of extra court time. If you look at the per 40 stats he is almost identical. I don't think he sucks but I don't think he was this amazing player that took over games and was a force in college either. He was a good all around player that helped in a lot of areas but def had deficiencies.

Instead of celebrating Lydon's baseline drive and monster two-handed slam, I just shook my head. He's capable of so much more than he produces. Case in point, at the end of the half he misses a wide open bunny instead of going up strong and dunking it.

That one hurt - he did that twice. Got to the rim off a good move, seemed primed for another dunk, and went with some ill-fated pump. Perhaps trying to get a three point play, but both ended with zero point plays.

Kid does seem way more engaged with Howard than Gillon though. That seemed noticeable again today.

I hope he comes back - I love the kid. He may be lagging a bit due to an injury, but he has a great skill set, and with a more functional offense could put up some crazy numbers. Sadly, we just don't have anyone to facilitate for him. :( He's the type of player that needs that.

I personally think Lydon should leave. I don't believe he will make an NBA roster and be in the D league because he could use another year but if he doesn't take a leap...scouts wont be as impressed with his potential. He really didn't improve much between last year and now. His numbers are up mainly because of extra court time. If you look at the per 40 stats he is almost identical. I don't think he sucks but I don't think he was this amazing player that took over games and was a force in college either. He was a good all around player that helped in a lot of areas but def had deficiencies.
By this logic, no one should ever stay in a college program longer than one year. Which is fine if that's what you're saying. That may even be right. For Lydon specifically, he likely should have left after last season.

But if Lydon is confident in his ability and in the team coming back (gulp) then it may be in his best financial interest to return for his junior season and be the dominant player we all thought he would be. In turn, his draft stock would be improved and he'd receive a better rookie contract.

If he's not confident in his ability to improve as a junior then you're right and he should move on, put all his chips on the table now and just take what he can get immediately.

It's really not though. General consensus that I've noticed has been that most players should leave.

I've been all in on our recent guys leaving early. Lydon should go if he wants to and is guaranteed a 1st rounder but he's not even close to being ready and displays absolutely nothing that makes me believe he can ever get out of the D-League.

He's a beta and soft mentally/physically.

He's tall and can shoot. Rebounding is ok.

He needs to work on his handle, body and mentality. That's a lot of things to work on.

He's not Mali, Dion or MCW in terms of talent.

He's not Ennis or Flynn in terms of striking while the iron is hot.

He's not McCullough in terms of needing money.

Whether another year in college helps his draft stock or professional longevity obviously remains to be seen.

Last edited:
By this logic, no one should ever stay in a college program longer than one year. Which is fine if that's what you're saying. That may even be right. For Lydon specifically, he likely should have left after last season.

But if Lydon is confident in his ability and in the team coming back (gulp) then it may be in his best financial interest to return for his junior season and be the dominant player we all thought he would be. In turn, his draft stock would be improved and he'd receive a better rookie contract.

If he's not confident in his ability to improve as a junior then you're right and he should move on, put all his chips on the table now and just take what he can get immediately.
Thanks. That was better comment then you are insane. I think we are sort of actually saying the same thing. You put it better.

To me he came in and had an unbelievable freshman season where his output and potential were off the chart. Now that he really didn't take a leap into lottery pick his potential is still high but not as much as it was. If he comes back next year and has a similar year...now this maybe where scouts say that he max of his potential already. He needs to really weigh the benefit of being an upper class man and not outperforming his freshman year. That is why HE should leave. I think he could use more time and get better as a player.

In regards to all players I don't agree for instance battle had a nice year. Started slow came on later in season. He has to me more upside of coming back and showcasing more in the future. If he stays as 18 point scorer like late in the year then he should leave next year.

in the first half.

Not knocking Lydon in any way shape or form--but honest question--didn't he have 14 points at halftime? What did he finish with?

I acknowledge that I haven't looked at any box score of today's debacle. I just wonder, because he had a huge first half, they were talking about him having close to a double double, etc. and toward the end I saw a graphic that indicated he still had 14. Did he not score in the second half?

Again, not trashing Lydon--honestly curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom