Tyler Roberson: "I'm confident. I'm ready to play." | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Roberson: "I'm confident. I'm ready to play."

self affirmation exercise.

stuart_smalley-7943.gif

Of course he's ready to play. HE WAS A TOP RECRUIT.

Love the quote. Play the kid, Jimmy. Enough with the six man rotations (w/o Grant).

The thing is--and I qualify this up front by acknowledging that it is partial wishful thinking on my part until the kid shows he can do it--but Roberson getting an infusion of PT might be exactly what this team needs right now. Our rebounding has gone south, and we aren't as formidable defensively in terms of challenging shots inside as we were for the first 2/3 of the season. Those two things play to Roberson's strengths.

He's also got fresh legs, unlike some of his teammates, and helps bolster depth at forward in a way that seemed non-existent the previous four games.

This could end up being like a mini-version of what happened last year when Grant got a helping of PT when Southerland was suspended. When given the opportunity, Grant stepped up and became a contributor. The question is: will Roberson do the same?

Not saying that the kid has to be a world beater, but he could prove to be an important cog who helps give the team added energy / depth for the stretch run.

It must be so awkward to be on a team where there's one supreme commander you can never really talk to. I would want to be all "Hey, Coach, what's going on? Can I help?" or "What are you thinking about with your brow so sweetly furled?" or "Geez, awkward about Grant's back, isn't it, Coach?" And then I remember: it's not a therapy session and I am not an equal and I would hate that!

God bless those kids.

I have faith! LGO!

I'm really pulling for at least an efficient 10ish minutes tomorrow night. I think if he didn't get in or got a quick hook it'd be a real blow to his confidence.

The thing is--and I qualify this up front by acknowledging that it is partial wishful thinking on my part until the kid shows he can do it--but Roberson getting an infusion of PT might be exactly what this team needs right now. Our rebounding has gone south, and we aren't as formidable defensively in terms of challenging shots inside as we were for the first 2/3 of the season. Those two things play to Roberson's strengths.

He's also got fresh legs, unlike some of his teammates, and helps bolster depth at forward in a way that seemed non-existent the previous four games.

This could end up being like a mini-version of what happened last year when Grant got a helping of PT when Southerland was suspended. When given the opportunity, Grant stepped up and became a contributor. The question is: will Roberson do the same?

Not saying that the kid has to be a world beater, but he could prove to be an important cog who helps give the team added energy / depth for the stretch run.

8 pts and 5 boards.

Not to limit himself, but if he goes in and plays good D, fights for boards and is active around the rim, he'll be a very valuable. Can't over think his approach on offense - lots of ways to contribute w/o scoring a point.

The guards need to give him some cover on offense.

I just hope he gets a chance to play and feel loose and free as opposed to being tight because he is afraid to make a mistake and get pulled from the game. This team needs a lift right now.

He's been practicing against two of the best forwards in college hoops all season. He's gotta be light years ahead of where he was coming in. Jitters aside, his potential is sky high. He'd probably start for GT.

Not to limit himself, but if he goes in and plays good D, fights for boards and is active around the rim, he'll be a very valuable. Can't over think his approach on offense - lots of ways to contribute w/o scoring a point.

The guards need to give him some cover on offense.

Yes and you mean to tell me we couldn't have used his defense, hustle and rebounding all year? Still can't figure out why he received very little PT once Coleman was hurt.

If nothing more to give us a defensive burst and give an ailing JG some rest!

Yes and you mean to tell me we couldn't have used his defense, hustle and rebounding all year? Still can't figure out why he received very little PT once Coleman was hurt.

If nothing more to give us a defensive burst and give an ailing JG some rest!

Well, two things come to mind. First we've been in a whole pant load of tight games, so there was less opportunity (in JB's estimation, I'd surmise); and he really didn't play very well during most of the few times he did get in. But this is quite often how a kid gets his chance, and I'd love to see him make a great showing - as I think we all would. LGO!!

Well, two things come to mind. First we've been in a whole pant load of tight games, so there was less opportunity (in JB's estimation, I'd surmise); and he really didn't play very well during most of the few times he did get in. But this is quite often how a kid gets his chance, and I'd love to see him make a great showing - as I think we all would. LGO!!

JB said on his show that TR hadn't been practicing well. Coaches tend to base their decisons on things like that.

Gbinije at the forward spot is not the answer.

Kueth could play there - he was a fifth-year senior and knew where to be at all times. Cipolla was a senior, too. And both of those years we weren't great defensively. We had Carmelo Anthony and John Wallace to carry us offensively.

This team doesn't have that luxury. Need size in that spot to rebound and defend.

I have zero understanding of the balls it takes to question a guy 2nd all time in wins who's job mainly hinges on evaluation of talent - who spends most of his day watching these kids play or formulating game plans around their skills and abilities.

If Roberson was ready to play more he would have played more.

I have zero understanding of the balls it takes to question a guy 2nd all time in wins who's job mainly hinges on evaluation of talent - who spends most of his day watching these kids play or formulating game plans around their skills and abilities.

If Roberson was ready to play more he would have played more.
All due respect, but he's not God.
JB has forgotten more about bball & talent evaluation in a half-hour, than I've known my whole life. Fine.
But he's NOT infallible and/or all-knowing. He's been wrong before & he'll be wrong again.
Like it or not he may no longer have a choice in the matter- which ironically may be the best thing to happen to TR, and the team, in the long run.

Kinda sad JB needs to be dragged kicking and screaming to FINALLY give this kid a chance...and that's assuming he'll do so.
Would anyone be surprised if we see another 6-man grinder vs GTech? SMDH

Sadly, I fully expect this to happen.