Tyler's sweet move | Syracusefan.com

Tyler's sweet move

He didn't need to use it with that play, but he seems to have one of the most effective and deceptive hesitation dribbles that I've had the pleasure watching.

I have a question. I have done spin moves and I have never consciously put my arm back (chicken wing) as I complete the move. The way Tyler did it, it looks like he was just gauging where the defender was. Usually it looks like the offensive player is locking the defender behind him and kind of propelling himself toward the basket. Alot of times the offensive players gets called for the foul, because there is some force behind it. Would Tyler get called for merely reaching back to see where the defender is? Is it taught that way?

The problem with getting older is that you can't make spin moves anymore. Probably ten years ago, I was playing in a semi-competitive pick-up game and got the ball in the same position that Ennis did with the baseline open. My brain said, "I know what move I need to make here," but by body said, "You really can't do that." So I passed the ball back outside.:noidea:

I have a question. I have done spin moves and I have never consciously put my arm back (chicken wing) as I complete the move. The way Tyler did it, it looks like he was just gauging where the defender was. Usually it looks like the offensive player is locking the defender behind him and kind of propelling himself toward the basket. Alot of times the offensive players gets called for the foul, because there is some force behind it. Would Tyler get called for merely reaching back to see where the defender is? Is it taught that way?

That is purely a "referee's discretion" call. I used to use the arm wrap around, but it was more a bar than a hook, so they usually didn't call it. The way my son was taught he uses his feet and shoulders to get the position. Jab pivot opposite, drop shoulder low into the spin and use your free leg to get the big drop step around the defender. It's hard to describe, but my son does it well. Better than I ever did.

That is purely a "referee's discretion" call. I used to use the arm wrap around, but it was more a bar than a hook, so they usually didn't call it. The way my son was taught he uses his feet and shoulders to get the position. Jab pivot opposite, drop shoulder low into the spin and use your free leg to get the big drop step around the defender. It's hard to describe, but my son does it well. Better than I ever did.
I used to use that move in the cafeteria

Wow it seems so smooth when he performed that

Since Ennis didn't use the arm to gain an advantage or impede the defender (he pretty much just touched the guy after he already had him beat), I don't see how a ref could justify making an offensive foul call. That doesn't mean there won't be an idiot ref that would make that call, though. lol

I always liked to put the ball underneath my shirt, fake throwing it over my shoulder, wait till the defender turned, and then go around him for a layup, exclaiming loudly for all to hear, "Sweet Georgia Brown"!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Huh, I think I've seen you play before...
1:04 mark I believe is what you were talking about ;)

That play seemed really slow developing. I wonder if he is able to pull that off against better defensive competition?

That play seemed really slow developing. I wonder if he is able to pull that off against better defensive competition?

There are guards and forwards he could probably beat with this move but he would likely get swallowed up by a D1 big man. Ennis would have to dump the ball to somebody in the lane, more than likely.

Since Ennis didn't use the arm to gain an advantage or impede the defender (he pretty much just touched the guy after he already had him beat), I don't see how a ref could justify making an offensive foul call. That doesn't mean there won't be an idiot ref that would make that call, though. lol

At full speed it would be very difficult for the ref to determine if an advantage was gained so I would imagine the whistle would get blown more often than not. Unless the ref was out of position and Tyler was crafty about it.

There are guards and forwards he could probably beat with this move but he would likely get swallowed up by a D1 big man. Ennis would have to dump the ball to somebody in the lane, more than likely.
Agreed. But if the guy he's driving on decides to cover the lane, then yes, Tyler will pull this move off on a D1 forward or guard. He certainly plays with a "What? Me Worry?" easiness to his game.

Love how Ennis just welcomes the contact...

love strong, fearless guards.

At full speed it would be very difficult for the ref to determine if an advantage was gained so I would imagine the whistle would get blown more often than not. Unless the ref was out of position and Tyler was crafty about it.

I disagree. Clearing with his arm seemed like more of a secondary move, rather than a part of the spin that freed him up, and there wasn't much force behind it. The defender had equally as little chance to stop him with or without the arm action. At full speed, the thought that a foul could be called didn't cross my mind. I would be really annoyed if this is considered an offensive foul, even if it was a L'ville guard doing this to one of our guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom