Tyus at the point? | Syracusefan.com

Tyus at the point?

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
JB likes to showcase his stars. Does Tyus get some in game time running the offense to show he can play the 1 or the 2 at the next level.

Doubtful. If we didn’t see it last year I find it highly unlikely we do this year. Now he might have a bit more incentive to pass the ball if he has more confidence in his teammates this year but he’s our SG.

JB likes to showcase his stars. Does Tyus get some in game time running the offense to show he can play the 1 or the 2 at the next level.
I agree with this. My bet is that this happens 6-8 possession a game.

Creating for others is something he needs to improve to raise his draft stock. He needs to do that at the 2 or 3.

Franks our guard. Senior guard with a lot of big game experience.

the great stevie thompson was a disaster .but he had to slide to make room for some kid named billy owens.

If it didn’t happen last year when all we had was an untested and sometimes shaky Howard and an untested and eventually injured unheralded recruit Washington , it certainly doesn’t seem like it would happen this year when we’ve got a more experienced Frank, the highly touted Carey, and possibly a slightly more experienced Washington.

I would say, yes, he played point guard a lot last year and will do the same this year, but I suppose it depends in your definition of point guard.

If you are asking if Tyus will play without Howard/Carey/Washington, Id say no, not very much. He will never be the point guard in name.

If you are asking how often he will bring the ball up, Id say 50% of the time or more against pressure, just like he did last year.

If you are asking how much of the offense will go through him, Id say more than anyone else, just like last year.

No chance it happens 2018/2019. Last year he was the only option after Frank but I think Carey will firmly be PG #2. Both guys would have to be hurt or in foul trouble.

Maybe a little if hes on the team for his senior year.

NOt sure our system has a clearly defined position of PG. Seems like a sort of shared responsibility. Big unknown to me is will our distributors feel confident feeding to some of our bigs who struggled last year in finishing.

IMO Tyus could run some point next year, for a few reasons:

(1) development plans for Tyus and OB
(2) Tyus and Frank had to play 100% of the minutes at 2 and 1 last year, less so next
(3) Buddy and Braswell may provide a new lineup combos where Tyus plays the 1 to open the 2 spot makes
(4) the other current options for PG minutes have not yet won roles with the Orange & Carey might be more of a wing

Although from post above, it sounds like JB didn't like the idea of Tyus at the 1 on his radio show.

Last edited:
I hope we move away from isolating Battle and move to more ball movement. It's probably the main reason he wasn't efficient and a reason he didn't get the feedback he wanted from the NBA. With the guys on our roster next year there's no reason to rely on low percentage isolation basketball.

I hope we move away from isolating Battle and move to more ball movement. It's probably the main reason he wasn't efficient and a reason he didn't get the feedback he wanted from the NBA. With the guys on our roster next year there's no reason to rely on low percentage isolation basketball.
Agree on movement .. which comes from a more experienced surrounding cast (e.g, MD at the high post). I would toss in a few more items: 1) improved transition game; 2) better screening including a functioning 1/4 or 1/3 PnR; 3) more inside scoring; and 4) better floor spacing with more shooting talent. Sid's recovery is key, because he's a guy that can score in the post and take feeds from - and pressure off - our guards.

Last edited:
How about Marek setting the high ball screen and not PC?
Definitely, and maybe that can develop into a functioning 1/4 pnr. Marek's the perfect choice because he's not (so far) an outside threat, yet he's tall enough and smart enough to get the ball out to our perimeter guys .. Howard, Battle and OB. Then you have Chukwu to rebound or OB crashing the glass.

Last edited:
Franks our guard. Senior guard with a lot of big game experience.
Frank is fine situationally, but I'd like to see him spelled when defensive pressure becomes an issue or if he continues to pass up fast breaks. FH is what he is, he's not suddenly going to become a 3:1 ATR machine in his last year.

Frank is fine situationally, but I'd like to see him spelled when defensive pressure becomes an issue or if he continues to pass up fast breaks. FH is what he is, he's not suddenly going to become a 3:1 ATR machine in his last year.

when did frank pass up a fast break?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom