Tyus Battle returns to lead Syracuse basketball: 'He didn't want to abandon us' | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle returns to lead Syracuse basketball: 'He didn't want to abandon us'

His stated goal is to win the national championship. I hope that is what he has instilled in all of our players. We can do it! We have the talent; it also takes a little luck.

I remember years ago watching a documentary about UCLA at the beginning of the season. The glory days of UCLA were over, but that team was talented and they set the goal to win the NC. The championship game was in Seattle that year, so they had a picture of Seattle over their locker room door, and before every game they would all jump up and tap that picture. I don’t remember what year that was and I was pretty focused on Syracuse. But lo and behold, when it became tournament time, UCLA was highly ranked (I think) and I chose them to win the entire thing. They did. Came in second in the pool and won $200.

If you build it, they will come.

I just want to for the record... thank Tyus Battle for choosing to return for his senior year. That decision has galvanized a level of optimism and excitement for Syracuse basketball that frankly, we haven't seen since the teams that climbed to # 1 but who's hopes were dashed by the loss of our centers for 2 consecutive years as we headed into the portion of the season which really mattered.

I think it would be wrong to believe that his decision to return has not had an impact on the entire program including recruiting. After having seen so many of our players who displayed a special level of talent leave for the NBA we now see what a difference one player can make by making that commitment to return can make. We've also all seen what Nova was able to do with a team that was led by 4 year players. You have to go all the way back to the year that Hak returned for his senior year to see the last time that Syracuse was led by a 4 year player. Although Battle will actually be a 3 year player the fact that he is returning after a point which most kids leave for the NBA puts hims in a special group of players. Hak put that team on his shoulders and provided the type of leadership that a seasoned talented player provides. It makes a difference.

Some could counter with the fact that Tyus's decision was partly based on the fact that the dynamics of the draft last year were such that it was in his best interest to return and go higher in the next years draft... perhaps this has some modicum of truth but I'd like to believe that it was at least as much his love of Syracuse and the program and the belief that by returning he could contribute something special to the program, his teammates , school , all of us who love Syracuse Basketball. That my friends, in this day and age is special. You just don't see that anymore... And I think that when we do it needs to be recognized.

By returning, Tyus puts himself in the company of GMAC, HAK , and players who came back for one more year. Tyus has also gone about his business of playing basketball here at Syracuse with no controversy, and an unselfish attitude and he has improved consistently while he has been here. Besides his play he also will be setting the example for our young players and will provide the type of leadership we will need if this is to be a special season.

So before the first jump ball of the official 18-19 season I want to say thank you to Tyus for giving us this opportunity to have a special season. There is a level of excitement which is palpable here on the board and although we are not picked preseason as top 10... those of us who have followed Syracuse for many years know that we are going to put a team out there that has all the parts and pieces to bring home that 2nd Natty for JB and all of the Syracuse faithful.

Thank you Tyus Battle for that chance...

Last edited:
I just want to for the record... thank Tyus Battle for choosing to return for his senior year. That decision has galvanized a level of optimism and excitement for Syracuse basketball that frankly, we haven't seen since the teams that climbed to # 1 but who's hopes were dashed by the loss of our centers for 2 consecutive years as we headed into the portion of the season which really mattered.

I think it would be wrong to believe that his decision to return has not had an impact on the entire program including recruiting. After having seen so many of our players who displayed a special level of talent leave for the NBA we now see what a difference one player can make by making that commitment to return can make. We've also all seen what Nova was able to do with a team that was led by 4 year players. You have to go all the way back to the year that Hak returned for his senior year to see the last time that Syracuse was led by a 4 year player. Although Battle will actually be a 3 year player the fact that he is returning after a point which most kids leave for the NBA puts hims in a special group of players. Hak put that team on his shoulders and provided the type of leadership that a seasoned talented player provides. It makes a difference.

Some could counter with the fact that Tyus's decision was partly based on the fact that the dynamics of the draft last year were such that it was in his best interest to return and go higher in the next years draft... perhaps this has some modicum of truth but I'd like to believe that it was at least as much his love of Syracuse and the program and the belief that by returning he could contribute something special to the program, his teammates , school , all of us who love Syracuse Basketball. That my friends, in this day and age is special. You just don't see that anymore... And I think that when we do it needs to be recognized.

By returning, Tyus puts himself in the company of GMAC, HAK , and players who came back for one more year. Tyus has also gone about his business of playing basketball here at Syracuse with no controversy, and an unselfish attitude and he has improved consistently while he has been here. Besides his play he also will be setting the example for our young players and will provide the type of leadership we will need if this is to be a special season.

So before the first jump ball of the official 18-19 season I want to say thank you to Tyus for giving us this opportunity to have a special season. There is a level of excitement which is palpable here on the board and although we are not picked preseason as top 10... those of us who have followed Syracuse for many years know that we are going to put a team out there that has all the parts and pieces to bring home that 2nd Natty for JB and all of the Syracuse faithful.

Uh, hate to break it to ya, but - Tyus is a Junior.

Now, he's likely going to have enough credits to graduate this year, but he's still only a Junior, eligibility-wise.

Also - GMac and Hak came back, because they had no prayer of being drafted any earlier.

But yes - we're all very glad he returned.

Yes, thank you Tyus.

2 consecutive years losing centers was 2010 and 2012, which of course were not quite consecutive, but I
believe those are the teams you are referring to.

Hey, I'm as happy as anyone (as a selfish SU fan) that Tyus came back. However, I'll take his "not abandoning" comments with a grain of salt and good PR/spin. Don't fool yourself, if he was a sure 1st round pick last year, he'd have been gone in a heartbeat. Being projected as a mid to late 2nd rounder probably was the most decisive factor in his returning to SU.

Hey, I'm as happy as anyone (as a selfish SU fan) that Tyus came back. However, I'll take his "not abandoning" comments with a grain of salt and good PR/spin. Don't fool yourself, if he was a sure 1st round pick last year, he'd have been gone in a heartbeat. Being projected as a mid to late 2nd rounder probably was the most decisive factor in his returning to SU.

As right as you are...
yeah-if-you-l9arjq.jpg

;)

Here is a question for the experts.

Reading that article, it stands out what the experience was like and how rare and awesome it was for Tyus. All day basketball, working out with NBA "guru" type trainers. Having pro/top college players around, etc.

My question is: Does that sort of experience require a person to put their name into the draft? Imagine a world where that experience is available to all Syracuse players every summer. And available without having to fly cross country and live in a hotel, etc. I think NCAA rules prevent them from doing workouts with Syracuse coaches during the summer (at least I think so), but what if Syracuse arranged for the NBA guru type trainer to come to the Melo Center, open it up to east coast pros who want to work out, invite even other top college players. Basically recreate the exact experience Tyus had but do it on campus at Syracuse. You might not get the tip-top trainers who could be in LA or other places, but I'm sure you could entice those at a high level if you structured it right (paid them enough).

Doing this would be an incredible recruiting advantage. Every Syracuse player would have this type of off season training in a world class facility with no travel or other extra expenses. Not only would the players get better, but it would turn Syracuse into a center for this type of summer training. All great for selling to kids who want to get to the NBA.

I'd like to take a little credit for Tyus's return. I had the pleasure of playing Call of Duty with him this summer and I'd like to think that my solid wingman skills during a bunch of intense team deathmatches showed him that Cuse nation is behind him 110%.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, he's really really good at Call of Duty.

Damn -- I don't know how any SU fan could read that article and not be fired up about the team's prospects this year. Special group of kids.