Tyus Battle | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
The drives to the hoop that he finished on last night were absolutely insane. I'm very glad all signs indicate he's back for next year. He's an absolute stud and undoubtedly our next great. Thompson's looked great too. Best recruitment class in years.

3 years of Thompson could be potentially a greater impact than 2 years of Lydon
2 years of Battle is likely better than 1 year of Malachi
I'm not sure if Frank adds or subtracts from the equation
Conclusion, go this year's class! lol

Without him yesterday, SU loses by at least 35. Shame he was the only one "plugged" from the outset. He's a gamer and his versatility on the offensive end shows why the staff went all in on him.

I really would argue top to bottom Battle/Thompson/Moyer is better for the program than Lydon/Malachi/Frank.

I fully believe Battle will make a bigger impact on the hill than Malachi did. Malachi's terrific and led us to the final 4, but I think Battle's just as talented with a higher upside and will give us at least a 2nd year to continue building our basketball program back to being formidable.

At this point Lydon and Thompson really aren't very comparable. Lydon's got the stretch game and plays above the rim as well as hits the three, both talents that Taurean hasn't quite honed in on just yet. Thompson's a bit more aggressive when choosing to take the open shot or pass back out though, which I love. He'll also drive through defenders within 15 and finish at the hoop or draw the foul. His ability to attack the rim has been invaluable.

Who knows how Moyer will perform but Frank's been mostly underwhelming despite brief stints of genius guard play.

Point is, we can build around Battle and Thompson, which is what we needed.

Agreed these guys have lots of talent but they also both have tremendous room to improve.

I absolutely love watching Battle and Thompson play. Very excited to see what the future holds for these two.

Malachi, Frank and Lydon?

I think Tyus/Thompson may have a final four run in them as well. Both are multiple year players. Think they'll have bigger impacts down the road. Who knows how Moyer will pan out as well.

What are Moyer's chances of playing significant minutes next season?

I like TT's offensive game but I'd like to see him get more familiar with the concept of rebounding and defense.

I really would argue top to bottom Battle/Thompson/Moyer is better for the program than Lydon/Malachi/Frank.

I fully believe Battle will make a bigger impact on the hill than Malachi did. Malachi's terrific and led us to the final 4, but I think Battle's just as talented with a higher upside and will give us at least a 2nd year to continue building our basketball program back to being formidable.

At this point Lydon and Thompson really aren't very comparable. Lydon's got the stretch game and plays above the rim as well as hits the three, both talents that Taurean hasn't quite honed in on just yet. Thompson's a bit more aggressive when choosing to take the open shot or pass back out though, which I love. He'll also drive through defenders within 15 and finish at the hoop or draw the foul. His ability to attack the rim has been invaluable.

Who knows how Moyer will perform but Frank's been mostly underwhelming despite brief stints of genius guard play.

Point is, we can build around Battle and Thompson, which is what we needed.

First really important measure of success is NCs.

Second really important measure is FFs.

I hear what you are saying and and I agree with most of your points except that until Battle/Thompson/Moyer get to a FF it is hard to say that they have had a more positive impact than did Lydon/Malahi/Frank - two of whom are still with us.

The front court should be a strength next season ... the guards on the other hand - too scary to contemplate right now.

The front court should be a strength next season ... the guards on the other hand - too scary to contemplate right now.

I thought the front court was going to be a strength this season and 3 of those 4 guys who I thought would be that strength were Chukwu, Roberson and Coleman.

I thought the front court was going to be a strength this season and 3 of those 4 guys who I thought would be that strength were Chukwu, Roberson and Coleman.
I was 50/50 on Coleman* playing much this season. I thought Chukwu would be able to log 15-20 mpg with Lydon likely playing the bulk of of the 5 if Coleman couldn't play. Roberson is disappointing. Thompson, however, is probably providing just as as much, if not more, than what we needed from Roberson. Having Thompson, Bourama, Moyer, and Chukwu is a good base. Much better than the guard situation which consists of Battle and ?

* In a way, I'm glad to see him finally go and I think the roster opens up a bit more. I'm really glad that Coleman was able to get his education and I'm happy for the kid, but because of the NCAA sanctions, roster restrictions (no disabled list) and his injuries he was almost like a double scholarship loss for SU. Not being able to count on him or recruit over him for four seasons put SU in a bit of bind.

I absolutely love watching Battle and Thompson play. Very excited to see what the future holds for these two.
Battle, yes, I am with you.

Thompson is a chucker. And his defense, court awareness and passing are all bad. But I'm very interested to see him improve in all those areas next year.

First really important measure of success is NCs.

Second really important measure is FFs.

I hear what you are saying and and I agree with most of your points except that until Battle/Thompson/Moyer get to a FF it is hard to say that they have had a more positive impact than did Lydon/Malahi/Frank - two of whom are still with us.
I completely agree, and I believe Tyus Battle will lead us back not only to the final four but to national dominance as well. May seem/sound ridiculous but this kid has "it".

The front court will likely be Thompson, Moyer, Chukwu and the two freshmen, and hopefully a scoring wing grad transfer. I find that hard to believe it'll be a strength in any way.

The front court will likely be Thompson, Moyer, Chukwu and the two freshmen, and hopefully a scoring wing grad transfer. I find that hard to believe it'll be a strength in any way.
Again, I'm comparing it to the 17-18 back court and not to the 09-10 team.

A lot hinges on how "ready" Brisset, Sidibe and Moyer are next year. Thompson, Lydon and Battle will be good. But they could be fantastic with serviceable surrounding assets.

I completely agree, and I believe Tyus Battle will lead us back not only to the final four but to national dominance as well. May seem/sound ridiculous but this kid has "it".

He may have 'it' and has really shown his ability, but if he's going to lead us to a FF, it's going to have to be this year or next. And I'm not seeing how next year's team is remotely close to being good, barring some major spring/summer additions.

He may have 'it' and has really shown his ability, but if he's going to lead us to a FF, it's going to have to be this year or next. And I'm not seeing how next year's team is remotely close to being good, barring some major spring/summer additions.
Never know what grad transfers will come in, who will make a "leap" and how ready Moyer is. Moyer wasn't exactly a "project" or a recruit. I think it was truly a blessing that we redshirted him and are still at least likely to make the tournament this year.

I think Tyus Battle is significantly better right now than Malachi was to be honest. The big question is Lydon versus Thompson. Thompson has been good, but Lydon was easily better as a freshman and is very good as a sophomore too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom