Tyus Battle | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle

Cusesky8214

Living Legend
What the heck figured what's one more thread where we can all hash it out...but what is up with Battle? I know he has been our main scorer and has made some huge plays even just a few games ago but his shooting percentages have to be pretty bad right now correct me if I'm wrong? And I'm not sure I have seen someone so strong and athletic have such a tough time getting to the hoop. That should be his go to almost every time he touches the ball but it seems like even when he does go to the rack it's a wild/way off to the side of the hoop type of layup that has a terrible chance at going on. I realize the defense is pretty much only keying on him so in his defense he may not be getting the greatest looks but even if that's the case, I'm not sure I have ever seen him make much of a opportunity for someone else when he has the ball and drives. He is very one dimensional it seems because he pretty much NEVER kicks the ball out or makes a solid pass to a open player once he has the ball in his hands. Its literally going to either be a battle drive that's kind of wild or a step back jumper or a 3. He isn't making his teammates around him better by the style of play he has. Is it just me that thinks that and I'm totally off base here or do others see this? Again this isn't to bash him because he is our best player and has carried our team pretty consistently now but I just think when acc play starts he needs to find a better way of getting everyone involved instead of doing the same thing over and over...i guess this could be more of our offensive scheme we run which is hard to watch at times but in all honesty frank has been the only one to initiate any offense by driving and dishing. We need to get others involved any way we can or we are going to struggle playing the type of offense we have all year so far!

Everything looks the same with Battle. No jump stops. No ball fakes. It’s either a step back (if not called for pushing off), drive all the way for a floater or straight three pointer. If he would change up to draw fouls in the lane, he could spend the whole game at the foul line. OB is pretty good at this.

Not being able to go to the basket and finish strong has been plaguing our guards for nearly a decade now. Even our guards in the NBA are so incredibly weak at that. The last Syracuse guard that could do that was Jonny Flynn. So far Battle has shown that he has below average playmaking ability for an NBA prospect, when his shots are not falling he hardly provides anything else on the offense. Just by eye-test he's pretty good at those short 1-on-1 iso battles that finish within 5 seconds. His best role would be a secondary guard that attacks quickly when the lead guard attracts extra defense, like Jeremy Lamb on that Kemba's UConn team.

Not being able to go to the basket and finish strong has been plaguing our guards for nearly a decade now. Even our guards in the NBA are so incredibly weak at that. The last Syracuse guard that could do that was Jonny Flynn. So far Battle has shown that he has below average playmaking ability for an NBA prospect, when his shots are not falling he hardly provides anything else on the offense. Just by eye-test he's pretty good at those short 1-on-1 iso battles that finish within 5 seconds. His best role would be a secondary guard that attacks quickly when the lead guard attracts extra defense, like Jeremy Lamb on that Kemba's UConn team.

Agree with much of this, but Dion could finish in college and he was more recent than Flynn(Devendorf was same year as Flynn and was also excellent).

Triche had his moments too, especially as an upperclassman.

Battle was finishing well as the year went on last year, but he was playing with 3 guys that could
shoot.

He might decide to leave early, but I don’t see his game translating into the NBA. He does a lot of things ok, but he’s not great at anything. You have to be special at something.

Agree with much of this, but Dion could finish in college and he was more recent than Flynn(Devendorf was same year as Flynn and was also excellent).

Battle was finishing well as the year went on last year, but he was playing with 3 guys that could
shoot.
BAttle would be more effective if we had anyone would could space the floor. When he drives, there’s no pressure on the defense to stay home on their man.

shoot.

Dion's finish was average in college, atrocious in the NBA. At one point in his Thunder season he had below 50% fp around the rim, only guard in the league avg 20+ mins that did that. You can easily find his blown layups compilations on YouTube, they were garbage juice material. Though He's doing little better now at the Heat.

Jonny's finish at the rim especially after body contact is unmatched. He was elite at that.

shoot.
Not to mention Silent G and Malachi, both of whom I consider 2 guards.

For someone who has a usage rate as high as Battle, it’s really strange he doesn’t get to the line more. Brissett and Howard are both better at drawing fouls. Howard is better as a finisher at the rim.

For someone who has a usage rate as high as Battle, it’s really strange he doesn’t get to the line more. Brissett and Howard are both better at drawing fouls. Howard is better as a finisher at the rim.
yep he should be shooting more FTs for sure - settles for too many long jumpers and often doesn't take it hard enough when he does go to the basket...

remember, though, folks - that back injury he took in the Toledo game was pretty significant - I think he was just getting over that coming into this week and then the 3 games were pretty physical - needs to recharge here over xmas

Kinda wish he’s work more to get other players more open shots. Marek/Moyer inside, oshae and frank within 18 ft. He’s our most versatile scorer, but I see no reason why he cant put up 3 or 4 assists a game. It’d help the offense tremendously

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom