tyus wow | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

tyus wow

BTW - one note about the mpg list I posted above. The only P5 player that is above those guys plays at Iowa St (is a transfer) and is 22 years old.

I think Frank can handle the minutes the best. But I'm nervous about Battle (due to his back) and Oshae (due to him being a freshman). Oshae also draws a lot of fouls/contact. I think it's fantastic and something we need. I just can foresee a guy that is wearing down in conference play also start to take those bumps a bit harder.

we had a lead most of the second half until wake made 3 or 4 threes in a row, and battle lost his mind. blame it on moyer if you want though, I don't really care.
Wow!!! Somebody is getting a little sensitive here. Nobody is blaming Moyer. He played a decent game. Only suggestion is based on 10 or so earlier games this year where Dolezaj come into a game, dove on the floor for the ball, tipped rebounds to others and in his normal style of play "made things happen". That was the only suggestion being made. Change the flow.

I don't disagree, but I have zero reason to suspect that JAB wants Washington anywhere near ACC minutes. Marek can stand at the top of the key and pass the ball back and forth with Frank until there's 10 seconds on the shot clock just as well. Plus he brings a little more reach to the top of zone. My thought was only for that point in the game with Tyus on the bench... I don't think it is a realistic option as a strategy.

Then we'd see teams press and harass Frank even more. Battle is necessary for helping dribble the ball as well, something I don't believe Marek has shown the ability to do so far. Certainly not as well as HW does.

One change that may pay dividends is Marek starting to drive with the ball the last two games. The kid is fearless and if he can control the ball he can at least get some foul shots when he gets killed trying to finish.

One change that may pay dividends is Marek starting to drive with the ball the last two games. The kid is fearless and if he can control the ball he can at least get some foul shots when he gets killed trying to finish.

He had a drive against Wake that may have been one of the worst I've ever seen.

I think people are missing the boat here. We stand around the first 15-20 seconds on purpose to wait clock because JB wants to limit possessions with this team.
This team? We've done this for YEARS now.

Next year, when we supposedly have more offensive pieces and multiple guys that can shoot and drive/finish, will we still see this poor offense? Will we still see a lack of set plays and pushing the tempo? It'll be interesting, as we should have depth and the ability...

One thing that stands out blatantly from that breakdown is that two of those three guys are our starting backcourt. And the only viable "replacement" for Oshae is Battle, who already is barely coming out of the game.

In terms of "what happened," I think there were numerous factors. The dominoes started toppling when we went all-in on Quade Green, eschewing other guard prospects like Isaiah Washington who would have bolstered depth. We weren't able to convince Ayala to reclassify. We took a guy like Howard Washington, who could have a nice future here but is a developmental prospect who probably isn't going to contribute much early. To compensate, we sought out and landed a combo guard 5th year transfer who [on paper] would have helped address the backcourt depth issue -- and enabled Battle to spell Brissett if need be.

But at SF, the coaches thought we were going to land a versatile wing in Brandon Randolph, but his recruiting visit didn't go well [putting it mildly]. We didn't recruit Lonnie Walker actively enough. And we lost out on Jordan Tucker at the 11th hour, who is now transferring from Duke after one semester.

Another factor is that Dolezaj, who by all accounts is a helluva player who is going to be a brilliant contributor throughout his career, doesn't offer much perimeter scoring at this stage of his developmental curve -- so he's seeing the majority of his time at the 4 and 5. And of course, if we'd done a more effective job recruiting wings like Randolph / Walker / Tucker, than our depth / shooting situation at the 2 / 3 would be different, and give us a lot more lineup flexibility.

Overall, it seems like a bit of bad luck, compounded by a few key misses on the recruiting trail. Things would probably look entirely different from a depth / minutes distribution standpoint if Tucker had opted for SU. Or if Randolph's recruiting visit hadn't taken a wrong turn. Or if Thorpe hadn't abruptly left the team.
Great breakdown.

The recruiting misses and philosophy have had long term concerns, and we're feeling that right now.

Going from top 50 recruits to afterthoughts (even though Dolezaj is a quality add) is tough to overcome.

Not having more than 2-3 skilled offensive players is absolutely killer. You can only slow the tempo and grind out games so much. In the ACC, you need kids that can score. You need shooters and athletic bigs. We just don't have that currently.

He really hasn't shown much ability to finish, though. He's so weak with the ball that it's getting knocked away nearly every time he dribbles through the lane, and if he does get a shot up, he's easily bodied out of the way with minimal contact. He also plays below the rim much more than I had thought based on his Zapruder film.

Him controlling the ball and getting a clean look is a lot easier said than done based on his current skill set. I'd like to see Moyer try driving a littler more, as he's more capable of absorbing some contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom