U C O N N | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

U C O N N

UConn football is incredible.

...I mean not on the field, or even on the TV (I can only imagine that most of their games are monotonous). But it's very existence is like a monument to hilarity. It's even helping tank their basketball program, which is priceless.
Don’t ever discount the Civil Conflict though...all of America tunes in for that gem

Official attendance at the Rent was 24,150. Makes sense to me. I am expecting 244,000 more or less at the Dome tonight.
22,000 dressed up as empty seats

Don’t ever discount the Civil Conflict though...all of America tunes in for that gem
Is that still going? I thought that UCF literally walked away from it.

We’re not talking about dropping down to FCS. That’s a money pit. Nor going independent like UMass. We’re talking a strong look at dropping football.

Last edited:
UCon should do the right thing and drop football.

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words

Well there’s not a 1,000 people in that picture counting the cops, cheerleaders and concession stand vendors , how sad is that

I’d be pretty upset if they dropped football before we get to see the extent to which Randy can fail. 1-11(0-8) this year and they lose Pindell and even worse bring back a ton of non-D1 players that Randy’s been force feeding. They might think this is rock bottom but I’m not sure we’re particularly close.

It never occurred to me that a division one football team would just disappear. Always thought there was enough revenue for them all to at least meet expenses.

Are there other D1 schools in the same position?

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words

Well there’s not a 1,000 people in that picture counting the cops, cheerleaders and concession stand vendors , how sad is that
Sad? It looks beautiful to me.

UConn should just do the right thing and drop back down to 1AA.

Its astounding to think about where cuse fb would be wo the ACC invite. We got a seat at the table and schools like uconn, cincy, and USF didn't. wow.

It never occurred to me that a division one football team would just disappear. Always thought there was enough revenue for them all to at least meet expenses.

Most schools lose money on athletics. Several lose money on football alone.

SU is one of the few schools that actually manages their AD properly. New York State is screwed up on many things, but not wasting money on public university sports programs is one thing they got right. I know that is not a popular sentiment because it makes life tough going up against the Big State schools getting huge cash infusions to run their sports programs, but Rutgers is enough to convince me that there are many more schools that are closer to financial demise than solvency.

(Steps off soap box, removes Orange colored glasses, returns thread back to its regular scheduled abuse of UCan't)

Most schools lose money on athletics. Several lose money on football alone.

SU is one of the few schools that actually manages their AD properly. New York State is screwed up on many things, but not wasting money on public university sports programs is one thing they got right. I know that is not a popular sentiment because it makes life tough going up against the Big State schools getting huge cash infusions to run their sports programs, but Rutgers is enough to convince me that there are many more schools that are closer to financial demise than solvency.

(Steps off soap box, removes Orange colored glasses, returns thread back to its regular scheduled abuse of UCan't)

We’re a private school so that’s not an option for us anyway ... unless maybe slap a tree on our logo and give the ESF stumpies their due!

Idaho dropped back down to fcs this year

Last edited:
As though UCONN athletics doesn't have enough problems, I believe the last of the old Big East exit fee money comes due during the current fiscal year, which ends on July 1, 2019. That is, please correct me if I am wrong, approximately $5 million per year. So, unless the next AAC TV deal brings in at least $7 million or so the UCONN AD is going to have to increase student fees or borrow more $ from the general fund just to maintain current levels of spending during the 2019/20 school year. I suspect the Huskies' $70mm AD budget is taking a haircut in the not too distant future.

As though UCONN athletics doesn't have enough problems, I believe the last of the old Big East exit fee money comes due during the current fiscal year, which ends on July 1, 2019. That is, please correct me if I am wrong, approximately $5 million per year. So, unless the next AAC TV deal brings in at least $7 million or so the UCONN AD is going to have to increase student fees or borrow more $ from the general fund just to maintain current levels of spending during the 2019/20 school year. I suspect the Huskies' $70mm AD budget is taking a haircut in the not too distant future.
I’m sure healthy football ticket sales will make up for the shortfall.

Now, since I came back to the board I haven't seen Marsh01, but I will echo one of his more renowned quotes.

You know the one.

well well look at #1 and #2

Coaches Hot Seat 2018
Mullen at #10 is ludicrous.
Is there some heat? Sure. He’s got at least 2 more years until the seat is hot.
He’s a quarterback away. I expect UF to hit the SEC Championship Game in 2020. I’ll be there. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom