U of Maryland's Priorities | Syracusefan.com

U of Maryland's Priorities

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
They should have cancelled the program after the report about the death of Jordan McNair. Complete debacle by that administration.

They are cancelling classes for the entire university the day leading up to a Friday evening Penn State game. Interestingly, one of the reasons they are doing so is because of on campus parking as it relates to students and faculty, which creates some interesting parallels to similar scenarios on our campus.

Maryland will cancel classes, clear campus in advance of Friday night football game vs. Penn State on Sept. 27

They are canceling non lab classes post noon.

Can’t say I really approve I suppose. I understand the want to get fans there but it is still a school first.

tenor.gif

Ohhh for crying out loud!

They are cancelling some classes on a Friday afternoon and some are questioning the University’s commitment to academics?

Let me see if I have this right. The Semester is 16 weeks and classes meet three times a week. So one class is equal to 1/48th of the semester.

Im pretty sure a competent prof can recover from this over a semester. And students can go to the library and study if they feel the need.

It's honestly not a big deal. A Friday at the beginning of the semester while the weather is still good? You won't get many students to show up period especially after 12. I personally managed to have six semesters of no class on Friday for that reason alone.

It's honestly not a big deal. A Friday at the beginning of the semester while the weather is still good? You won't get many students to show up period especially after 12. I personally managed to have six semesters of no class on Friday for that reason alone.
If we ever host Clemson on a Friday night, I would hope we do the same thing. You can’t host chordal classes and a football game at the same time. At least not if your football stadium is on campus.

Ohhh for crying out loud!

They are cancelling some classes on a Friday afternoon and some are questioning the University’s commitment to academics?

Let me see if I have this right. The Semester is 16 weeks and classes meet three times a week. So one class is equal to 1/48th of the semester.

Im pretty sure a competent prof can recover from this over a semester. And students can go to the library and study if they feel the need.

For once I have to agree with Townie. Anyone complaining hasn't had to drive on 495 during the evening rush.

I think I only had Friday classes for two or three semesters at SU. Rather pack my Mon-Thurs schedule so that I could have Friday off
Exactly and if you have a Friday class usually it’s in the am.

Why should we care?

We have a many page thread about Rutgers? I dunno. Maryland has been interesting of late, figured it was worth sharing since we play them and I could see having to make similar decisions if we have a big Friday game given our layout.

Spent way too much time on the Virginia side during today’s commute home.

They should cancel Thursday classes too.

Ahhhh... the Cabin John Bridge affect, no doubt.

I don't know how far you go on the Beltway.

But you know how it twists and turns going East right after Wisconsin Ave through to the Mormon Temple? Wanna know why that is?

The reason for that is that one Congressman did not want his neighborhood affected by Beltway construction. So 495 is pretty straight from River Road to Wisconsin and from The Mormon Temple on.

But it's a cowpath from Wisconsin ave to the Mormon Temple.

But you know how it twists and turns going East right after Wisconsin Ave through to the Mormon Temple? Wanna know why that is?

The reason for that is that one Congressman did not want his neighborhood affected by Beltway construction. So 495 is pretty straight from River Road to Wisconsin and from The Mormon Temple on.

Use to commute from Spotsy to Bethesda. The American Legion Bridge was the sticking point for me. Only drive from Spotsy to Falls Church now.

Use to commute from Spotsy to Bethesda. The American Legion Bridge was the sticking point for me. Only drive from Spotsy to Falls Church now.
Bethesda to Arlington on the GW Parkway. Ugh.

I go to/from Old Town (home) to Bethesda (work) most days. And I'm still mostly sane. Love where I live, love my job, love my Sirius XM, but apparently don't love my own back.

I do get to avoid the topside. But I once had to take that route you mentioned when I was living in Annapolis and coming home from a meeting in Tyson's. One of those infamous days when the storm arrived around 3 pm and put a sheet of ice under the snow. About 9 hours after leaving, I arrived home. And learned way too much about those twists and turns at that part of the beltway (more hilly than you realize on normal weather days). Good to know who I have to hate for it.

Creative scheduling is a skill one quickly learns in college.

I knew guys who were wizards at it creating scheduling "masterpieces" that combined day, time, walking distance, the difficulty of the class and the professors grading policies designed to avoid disruptions to their real interests of sleeping, social life and recuperating from hangovers. These were the guys that said that college was "the best five or six years of their lives".

In a "just" world these guys would have ended up living in cardboard boxes. But, alas, the survival skills they showed in college translated very well into the workplace.

The reason "Animal House" is so funny is that there was sooo much truth in it.

Makes plenty of sense as I can't imagine there are many/any 1 day per week classes late on Friday. All other classes will be able to meet earlier that week.

if its completely fine to put football before academics, let's hold back on the sanctimony then the next time we hear about a school letting its players skip classes.

I have mixed emotions because I fully realize that calling the parking situation in College Park "horrendous" is to give it the benefit of the doubt. They need a grunch of student lots for the crowd.

if i am not mistaken, some business schools don't offer classes on friday. no big deal in maryland cancelling one time. students will be fine.