UB will drop four sports teams in athletics budget cutback | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

UB will drop four sports teams in athletics budget cutback

I will never understand the concept that throwing some kid a few bills is "in the best interest of the kids." If you really want to look at this issue from a purely social perspective, what's best for the kids is getting a quality education. That's it. We as a society have lost sight of that. We're so far gone past that concept that people think the only solution is to bail out and pacify people with a dollar or two. That's irresponsible in my opinion. Tear the thing down and start again may be the only way to go. I'm not naive enough to think that colleges will turn their backs on the millions of dollars that they are making. But if they start paying kids, it will not be to do the right thing, it will be to keep their hands on the money.

Agreed. And it seems that it is nearly impossible to balance mega-revenue generating sports and keeping to the academic mission of institutions. Tearing it down is really the only option if people truly believe quality education should be the primary focus.

Dropping Soccer is insane to me. So incredibly short sighted. It is just beginning to touch it's American growth. It will easily replace Hockey and I would bet Baseball as "major sports" American seasons in the next 20 or so years.

This is coming from a guy who grew up calling soccer a communist sport and played baseball his whole life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom