UConn Game | Syracusefan.com

UConn Game

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I understand that patience is needed with the Babers era, but this game is a game this program needs to win.

UConn has beaten Maine by 3 points (Black Bears lost to Toledo by 42), and the dumpster fire that is UVA by 3 points.

Despite the fact that this game is on the road, I will be extremely disappointed if we lose this game.

I'm sure we've been doing this, but they should have hookway grass at 6 inches and doused with water as their practice field all week. That is what the grounds crew has been instructed to do at the Rent for Saturday

I watched their games on ESPN3 and I gotta say if we lose this game it will be because we lose the turnover battle by atleast -2.

Their OL sucks. Our DL should be able to set the edge and get some pressure. They have a scrambling QB so we need to have improved tackling. If we spread out their D we should be able to move the ball on them. We should win this game I would say easily but I don't think we have the horses for that. Just don't turn the ball over we will win this game.

I watched their games on ESPN3 and I gotta say if we lose this game it will be because we lose the turnover battle by atleast -2.

Their OL sucks. Our DL should be able to set the edge and get some pressure. They have a scrambling QB so we need to have improved tackling. If we spread out their D we should be able to move the ball on them. We should win this game I would say easily but I don't think we have the horses for that. Just don't turn the ball over we will win this game.

Does our DLine have a single sack this year? I don't recall any pressure even on Colgate's qb.

I understand that patience is needed with the Babers era, but this game is a game this program needs to win.

UConn has beaten Maine by 3 points (Black Bears lost to Toledo by 42), and the dumpster fire that is UVA by 3 points.

Despite the fact that this game is on the road, I will be extremely disappointed if we lose this game.

I think that after Saturday, our fanbase will be able to take a deep breath and recognize that even though we're building under a new coach, the days of sweating out these types of games are in the rear view mirror.

I hate saying we "should" win because so many unpredictable things can happen. Let me say this. If we lose to them 2-3 years from now, I'll be very disappointed. If we lose on Saturday, I won't be happy but it's really just part of the learning curve.

Does our DLine have a single sack this year? I don't recall any pressure even on Colgate's qb.
I remember Slayton blowing up the Colgate QB on one 3rd down in the first Q but beyond that I don't remember another sack.

Our staff doesn't like to blitz because of the Tampa 2 but mixing in a little pressure would help the DL.

I think that after Saturday, our fanbase will be able to take a deep breath and recognize that even though we're building under a new coach, the days of sweating out these types of games are in the rear view mirror.

Hope you're right.

I think learning curve also allows teams that you should beat the ability to hang in there and beat you. I agree in 2-3 years if we are aren't beating the UCONNs of the world than we are in trouble but for me the learning curve is the learning curve... Who the hell knows what will happen but the betting line says it all. We are a 3 point dog, rightfully so. So if we lose a close game that's about where we are right now. I don't see any other way to rationalize it. It won't be that big of a deal if we lose because quite honestly we are suppose to. Im not happy about it but that's where we are.

Wish I was confident but it makes zero difference..I say we are a 2-3 win team but what do I know

Lville has given up 2 sacks and 4 TFL's for the year.
FSt had the same number of sacks as SU, 1, and one more TFL, 2 vs 1

SFla has given up 3 sacks total in three games, SU had 1.o and 15 TFL's, SU has 4.0 of those.

Contrast that with UConn which has given up 7 sacks on 74 pass attempts. SU has given up 8 on 149 attempts.

Think your right about this being a game the program needs to win. There is still a lot of optimison on this board despite the last two games (some justified some not) but if the D really struggles again and the Offense looks like it did in the second half last week I think the wheels will come off quickly around here.

I remember Slayton blowing up the Colgate QB on one 3rd down in the first Q but beyond that I don't remember another sack.

Our staff doesn't like to blitz because of the Tampa 2 but mixing in a little pressure would help the DL.

This D has to be blitz. I know Ward would rather avoid it based on the D scheme or whatever but we have no choice. We are getting almost zero pressure from the front four.

Id really like to believe this but to be honest I am not sure this team can put together a good four quarters yet. Our offense has shown flashes for sure (first half vs USF, couple great drives for UL etc) but USF isn't exactly a Defensive juggernaut and we scored what 3 points after the 1st quarter? I just worry this turns into one of those games where we let UConn hang around long enough to capitalize on a mistake and take the lead late. I know the D hasnt' been good and has gotten a lot of the criticisim here (rightfully so) but the offense has at times been just as baffling. Hope this team can put it all together Saturday but I am just not seeing this comfortable win that a lot of people are.

This D has to be blitz. I know Ward would rather avoid it based on the D scheme or whatever but we have no choice. We are getting almost zero pressure from the front four.
But the defensive line is the strength of the defense!:bang:

But the defensive line is the strength of the defense!:bang:

This is a young D with a lot of growing pains. Some real good potential and good young players but I don't know if it really has a "strength" right now per se.

This is a young D with a lot of growing pains. Some real good potential and good young players but I don't know if it really has a "strength" right now per se.
I feel like our D is just pains. It's like your back hurting from the way you've been walking because your ankle is sprained. The defense's weaknesses are caused by each others' flaws and all are to blame. That said, I do think the D will grow.

Id really like to believe this but to be honest I am not sure this team can put together a good four quarters yet. Our offense has shown flashes for sure (first half vs USF, couple great drives for UL etc) but USF isn't exactly a Defensive juggernaut and we scored what 3 points after the 1st quarter? I just worry this turns into one of those games where we let UConn hang around long enough to capitalize on a mistake and take the lead late. I know the D hasnt' been good and has gotten a lot of the criticisim here (rightfully so) but the offense has at times been just as baffling. Hope this team can put it all together Saturday but I am just not seeing this comfortable win that a lot of people are.

I don't think we'll need 4 Q of good football to beat them. I don't know what the proper ratio is, but we I don't think we need to be perfect to win IMO.

Not at end, but at tackle? Not a lot of runs up the gut... most big plays are to the outside.

I feel like our D is just pains. It's like your back hurting from the way you've been walking because your ankle is sprained. The defense's weaknesses are caused by each others' flaws and all are to blame. That said, I do think the D will grow.

I think Ward needs to realize that playing coverage in the Tampa 2 with this current team and all the injuries/missing guys is simply not going to work. We have given up 100+ points to the last two teams we have played. Good teams for sure but it should be clear we need to blitz more and try to be more aggressive out of the Tampa 2. What were doing right now isn't working at all and that's not even taking into account god knows how may yards and points the last two teams left out on the field due to drops.

We shall see. Teams that play meathead ball won't be able to keep up with us, and play right into our hands. We've been on the opposite side of this equation with several peer programs in the recent past, but not anymore.

For the record, I don't think that the team needs to "put it all together" to beat UConn soundly. I understand the skepticism, given the last two games, but I look forward to dispelling some of the hand wringing on Saturday with a resounding win. The team--and the fanbase--need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom