UConn hired a new assistant | Syracusefan.com

UConn hired a new assistant

Alsacs

Living Legend
I hope we could get somebody like this Raphael Chillious.

He can recruit. He is from Washington and this was after Ollie snaked his associate HC's job from him.

Allan Griffin would be a depressing hire IMO.

Good hire - but UConn hasn't had many issues recruiting guys lately... I thought they'd go after someone who could help develop their bigs a little better.

It's a mess over in Storrs right now with 2 transfers over the past few days.

He can recruit. He is from Washington and this was after Ollie snaked his associate HC's job from him.

Who has he recruited that makes him so good?

Lets take Glen Miller. Seems to have done a decent job assisting at UConn under an old curmudgeon. Could fit in well under Boeheim.

He got Markelle Fultz to Washington last year.
You don't suppose Fultz ended up in Washington because he knew he'd be the man rather than just a cog in the machine at UK, Duke, UNC, etc. etc.

You don't suppose Fultz ended up in Washington because he knew he'd be the man rather than just a cog in the machine at UK, Duke, UNC, etc. etc.

It is known he was instrumental in landing Fultz. The guy is a great recruiter and has strong AAU ties.

I disagree. I think he is a perfect example of what allowed UW to get to the point it did. He worked for Nike before UW and has not worked hard to improve his coaching ability, Someone I know told me it's amazing how little he knows about coaching basketball. I've never met Coach Chill as they call him.

I disagree. I think he is a perfect example of what allowed UW to get to the point it did. He worked for Nike before UW and has not worked hard to improve his coaching ability, Someone I know told me it's amazing how little he knows about coaching basketball. I've never met Coach Chill as they call him.
Give JB elite talent and he will mold it. Fultz on Syracuse this year probably makes us atleast a sweet 16 team.

Romar didn't construct his roster well. Assistants don't need to be good coaches if they can bring in top 5 NBA draft picks.

Give JB elite talent and he will mold it. Fultz on Syracuse this year probably makes us atleast a sweet 16 team.

Romar didn't construct his roster well. Assistants don't need to be good coaches if they can bring in top 5 NBA draft picks.
^^^. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your last sentence Alsacs... Totally get why you say it but I don't agree... ..Each coach has to be able to coach some facet of the game or a position well. There are not enough assistant coach positions on a team to absorb a coach who cannot teach. The head coach needs to be the rain maker...A "rejuvenated" HCJB is what's turning recruits heads right now and will be I think what will bring stronger recruits back into the fold if things happen the way many are hoping.

Hope I am wrong but it just doesn't seem from JB's comments that he is looking for an Ace recruiter, I read he is looking for a coach for the bigs first and recruiter is a plus but not a primary factor. Again hope I am wrong because I would love to have a recruiter being the primary skillset.

^^^. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your last sentence Alsacs... Totally get why you say it but I don't agree... ..Each coach has to be able to coach some facet of the game or a position well. There are not enough assistant coach positions on a team to absorb a coach who cannot teach. The head coach needs to be the rain maker...A "rejuvenated" HCJB is what's turning recruits heads right now and will be I think what will bring stronger recruits back into the fold if things happen the way many are hoping.
We can't keep an all alumni coaching staff just because Duke does it. JB hasn't been the rainmaker since the 1980's.

A rejuvenated JB would be a JB that actually does more than just close. We need that but we also need a good recruiter because we just lost our best recruiter in Hopkins. Autry has shown he can recruit. GMac has not. If GMac is JB's travel buddy and gets JB to go on the road more that will be good.

JB isn't going to do the grind work. We just have to hope he will go to prospects games. If this hire is Griffin then we will go without a big man coach again and will just have another same old. We aren't Duke. Kentucky gets these guys because Calipari works his butt off. Bob Huggins wins a second round game in Buffalo and then spends that night in Ohio recruiting another kid. We need a good recruiter in this hire. JB can coach if he gets talent.

It is known he was instrumental in landing Fultz. The guy is a great recruiter and has strong AAU ties.
Not saying he didn't recruit Fultz but why would he go to Washington other than to be the #1 man on the team so he would get noticed more than if he were on an elite team.

Hope I am wrong but it just doesn't seem from JB's comments that he is looking for an Ace recruiter, I read he is looking for a coach for the bigs first and recruiter is a plus but not a primary factor. Again hope I am wrong because I would love to have a recruiter being the primary skillset.

That is for sure what he said he was looking for. It makes me think AG might not be the guy.

Not saying he didn't recruit Fultz but why would he go to Washington other than to be the #1 man on the team so he would get noticed more than if he were on an elite team.
Fultz is the number one guy anywhere except Kentucky or UCLA.

He went to Washington because of the assistant coach who is now at UConn.

We can't keep an all alumni coaching staff just because Duke does it. JB hasn't been the rainmaker since the 1980's.

A rejuvenated JB would be a JB that actually does more than just close. We need that but we also need a good recruiter because we just lost our best recruiter in Hopkins. Autry has shown he can recruit. GMac has not. If GMac is JB's travel buddy and gets JB to go on the road more that will be good.

JB isn't going to do the grind work. We just have to hope he will go to prospects games. If this hire is Griffin then we will go without a big man coach again and will just have another same old. We aren't Duke. Kentucky gets these guys because Calipari works his butt off. Bob Huggins wins a second round game in Buffalo and then spends that night in Ohio recruiting another kid. We need a good recruiter in this hire. JB can coach if he gets talent.
I'm not for hiring Griffin myself and agree recruiting is really important. I just don't think we can hire someone like Coach Chill who has very little coaching experience and from what I understand either doesn't believe it's a weakness for him or just doesn't care. There are other people if we want to go the recruiting way that won't give up so much in coaching ability which I also view as important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom